Caffeine

Glimmer78
on 2/6/16 11:59 am - Ontario, Canada

Just a quick question. I understand the need to  eliminate caffeine after surgery due to healing, and understand eliminating it prior to surgery, in order to deal with withdrawal.  My question is how do people survive without it after?  I mean to never have coffee or tea again?  I'm mainly concerned with missing out with my single morning coffee, and my afternoon green tea pick me up.  I find it hard to believe that my energy levels will be such that I won't need it :). Thanks in advance for any advice or stories on how you coped

crqvingchange
on 2/6/16 1:09 pm

My Centre says it's a no no because it is an irritant and could cause ulcers. I drink decaf coffee and tea and don't have a problem.  For me it's not worth the risk. Not everyone who drinks caffeine gets ulcers, but not everyone who smokes gets cancer. Only you can decide how much risk you are willing to live with. Hope this helps.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

Glimmer78
on 2/6/16 1:18 pm - Ontario, Canada

I completely understand the risk part, so I guess what I'm really wondering is, as I don't really want to risk the ulcers, what have people who used to drink coffee and tea do after the surgery if they need a little first thing in the morning or mid day pick me up?

Herecomeshealth
on 2/6/16 1:33 pm

I am just about 1 year post op. I drank caffeine right up to the big day. I prepare questions for my first follow up appointment, one being when can I have caffeine? I forgot to ask it. By next appointment I didn't bother to ask as I did not miss it. I used to drink 3 large coffees a day. Now I just have decaf tea. I would say I have way more energy now than I have had in years. No caffeine works just fine for me.

Glimmer78
on 2/6/16 3:02 pm - Ontario, Canada

Thanks for letting me know the need for it can go away......anyone out there a student?  I'm a full time university student with 3 kids, so I'm wondering how other students deal with no caffeine during crunch time :)

Leslie W.
on 2/6/16 4:15 pm - Cobourg, Canada

I cut caffeine pre op. After a few month I went back to caffeine. For some it is hard on the gut. After a year I was back to regular coffee. 

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
(deactivated member)
on 2/6/16 4:28 pm - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

Not sure what centre you are out of but some just want you to cut caffeine for so long.  I had surgery over 10 years ago and that rule didn't exist.  We had caffeine right up to surgery and even after surgery.  I know patients that have had bariatric surgery in the past few years at centres that say no caffeine and they are served regular coffee on their trays and regular black tea as well even though it says bariatric patient right on the meal thing.  I have never heard of caffeine causing ulcers, it could irritate them if you already have them but to cause them, there is nothing to prove that.  I think as much coffee as I want in a day.  I only drink decaf in the evening so I can sleep at night but otherwise it's fully leaded coffee or tea.  Many choose to go back to regular caffeine after surgery, it's up to you ultimately what you want to do, they can make suggestions but you do have the final say on everything.  

(deactivated member)
on 2/7/16 10:09 pm

I used to drink at least two big cups of coffee a day. Since I switched to decaf my energy seems to have leveled out, meaning I don't crash in the afternoon. I drink decaf to fool my taste buds and brain a little. Oh and I used to get headaches and migraines 3-4 times a week. Since I cut caffeine I haven't had any! I haven't had the surgery yet but I cut caffeine about 2 months ago. 

Dreamy74
on 2/8/16 6:45 am
RNY on 02/04/15

Hi Glimmer the whole time I was on Opti I switched to decaf - black, and had a couple of cups a day in between Opti.  I also put decaf coffee crystals in both my chocolate and vanilla opti quite often to give it a better flavour.

After surgery I waited several weeks (probably 6 to 8) but then started drinking regular coffee again.  I am not going to lie, I am totally addicted to it.  I have it with 2% or **** milk and sometimes even half and half cream and no sugar or sweetener whatsoever.  I also drink espresso based drinks and have a latte 1 to 2 a day.  I have had no trouble with ulcers or stomach upset and to be honest I am often constipated and the coffee helps me go.  I am sure to add to my water intake if I overdo the coffee in a day though.  For example if I have three cups of coffee in a day I try to drink another three cups of water.  I try to get 6 to 8 glasses of water in a day normally, but I can drink up to 10-11 if I have overdone the coffee.

At my 6 month follow up the dieticians said coffee was fine "in moderation" without sugar.  One dietician believed we should have non fat milk and the other dietician said to have full fat milk or even cream if one was carb sensitive (which I am).

I have my one year follow up on Friday and I will ask the dietician again about coffee and will update you with her response.  That is if I can see the dietician - not sure if she will be in my trio of appointments but will keep you posted.

It isn't easy being green - Kermit the Frog

Glimmer78
on 2/8/16 10:12 am - Ontario, Canada

Thanks for the info! It seems I am perfectly fine with giving up wine, but I'm happy to hear I don't have to abandon my coffee forever :)

Referral-Feb/15, Orientation HRRH-May 29/15, Dr. Hagen-Dec. 14/15, Sleep study-Dec. 16/15, Trio app't-Feb. 2/16, Follow-up SW & RD-Mar.14/16, Dr. Glazer-Mar. 30/16, Dr. Hagen - May 3/16, Surgery - June 6/16

Most Active
Recent Topics