Couple questions Ontario Bariatric

Motherof2plus2
on 2/8/16 2:45 am

Good morning everybody I am going to the doctor today to get a referral to the Ontario bariatric Network. I just have a few questions about it before I start. First of all how much does it cost per week to go on the Optifast? Secondly am I allowed to have coffee while on the program? Third, how often do you have to go meet with them? Thank you so much. I do not qualify for the surgery but plan on doing the non surgical part. Thank you again

Carchick28
on 2/8/16 5:20 am - Canada

There are two versions of the Medical program one opti and one that is not.  The opti one is a longer program than the other.  You don't start the opti right at the beginning I think after week 2 maybe.  At a certain time they transition you back to regular food.  I do think you are allowed some food veggies (limited).  As for coffee I am not sure about that one.  I participated in the lifestyle program, the non Opti.  You will have meetings every 2 weeks I believe.  When I did it it was every week but I think they changed that but I could be wrong.  You will have an exercise portion to the program as well and the dietician and social worker are the ones who hold the meetings.  As for the cost of Opti I believe it is about $100.00 per week in and around there.  There are many successful people in the Opti program.  At your orientation, they will go over all of this with you.  This program usually progress much faster than the surgical one so once your referral is put in I would think you will hear from them fairly quickly.  Good Luck.

Ginnny
on 2/8/16 6:29 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

I don't know where you live but here is a link to the Medical Weight Management Program at Hotel Dieu Grace Hospital in Windsor.  They have two programs - a 12 week and a 24 week.  I would imagine if you live in the GTA then you could do some research through the University Health Network.

http://www.hdgh.org/bariatricweightmanagementprogram

Carchick28
on 2/8/16 7:06 am - Canada

This sounds very similar to the program I was referring too.  The one I went to was through Humber (which you do need to be referred to).  On the Ontario Bariatric website does have some info on their program as well.  I would think either one would be helpful.  I did not realize that this was also offered. 

Ginnny
on 2/8/16 8:41 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

Hotel Dieu Grace Hospital in Windsor is part of the Ontario Bariatric Network.  It is the Regional Assessment Centre for southwestern Ontario.   You do need a referral to enter either of their programs (surgical/non-surgical).

Carchick28
on 2/8/16 7:17 am - Canada

Lots of great information on that site.  Wow  way more than the program at Humber puts out. 

wanttogetgoing
on 3/1/16 5:45 pm - St. Catharines

Hi if you don't mind me asking. Why do you not qualify for the surgery? 

Motherof2plus2
on 3/14/16 7:56 am

Not a high enough bmi

Most Active
Recent Topics