Medical vs. Surgical ???

Nikitabanana
on 2/11/16 10:38 am
RNY on 05/25/16

Hello, I had my trio appointment today at HRRH and everything went well. I was well prepared and feeling good about everything. Then I got to the nutritionist/dietitian - she asked me if I'd considered the medical route instead of surgical. I immediately answered sort of without thinking and explained that I didn't want to try yet another diet and my mind was focused on surgery. She went on to explain the medical program and was really encouraging me to consider it. She even said she wanted to rebook in 4 weeks for a telephone meeting - if I was still in the surgical program. 

Now I'm confused! I had questions she couldn't answer so I'm turning to you folks! 

Have you considered the medical program? Pro's / Con's? If you sign up for the medical program and attend the orientation and decide it's not for you and want to return to the surgical program do I have to go through the entire process again? Like starting from the referral or just pick up when I left off? She said it's something like 12 weeks of opti - ugh! but that there are a lot of supports. Now I don't know what to do. Any info/advice would be appreciated as everything I've researched for the past 2+ years is based on surgery!

Thanks for reading and for your help!!

Nikki

Referral sent: 1/26/15 / Sleep study: 2/23/15 / Orientation: 4/20/15 HRRH / Meet Dr. Hagen: 11/17/15 (no show) / Meet Dr. Klein: 12/10/15 / Trio appointments: 2/11/16 / Follow up appointment SW and RD: 3/16/16 / Dr. Glazer: 3/30/16 / Dr. Klein: 5/9/16 / Surgery date 5/25/16 / LBL with Dr. Nandagopal 3/9/18 - PS SW 155

HW - 280. Opti start - 280. Surgery day - 266. CW - 142.

(deactivated member)
on 2/11/16 10:41 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

Medical program is just another diet program.  It works for very few.  Many of the people that had surgery did the medical program first and gained everything back.  No idea how it works if you do the medical one then still need surgery, my guess is you start over but only the centre could answer that for sure.  If it was me, I'd let her call in 4 weeks and tell her you have considered the medical program and that you find that it's just like every other diet you have tried and name as many as you can think of and tell her that you did reasonably well on them all until it was time to try and keep it off and you just don't want to delay losing the weight for yet another attempt at another diet and that you are wanting to stay in the surgical program to keep moving towards that.

lammytee14
on 2/11/16 11:11 am

Hi Nikki,

I did the medical program twice in 2002 and 2012. I had RNY in March 2015. For myself, I wasn't ready for the surgery back when I did the program. I did well losing weight but struggled with maintenance. I did learn some things that are helpful tools from the program as a post-op patient. Sure, there is part of me that wishes I had felt ready to go the surgical route when I was referred back to the Ottawa WMC in 2011 but when it comes right down to it, I believe everything happens for a reason.

Only you will know what is right for you. Go with your gut.

Good luck,

Tammy :)

Surgery on March 16, 2015 with Dr. Yelle (Ottawa)

HW: 245 (2012) SW: 233 CW: 141 Goal Range (by Surgeon): 149-179  

Holy Smokes! I've lost 100 pounds from my heaviest weight! Yay me!!!

Monica9811
on 2/11/16 11:32 am - Peterborough, Canada

I am with Tracey on this one.  The medical program is just like any other diet out there.  You have the support for the short term but then its up to you to keep it off and it isn't easy.  You go 12 weeks without eating anything and then you have to start eating again and before you know it the weight will slowly creep back on.  I believe if you are out of this program for 2 years you have to start over.  Personally I wouldn't do it.  It is also very expensive route and one that most likely won't work long term.  The surgery isn't guaranteed to work long term either.  You have to work it but you have a lot more tools to be successful with this route.  I am not sure why they are pushing it so much -$$$ for their program?  Kickbacks?  Who knows.  I would tell her you discussed it and did a lot of research and want to go the surgery route.  Good luck.

janwotton
on 3/25/16 8:27 pm

I am so unhappy I am apparently in Medical not surgical program. I have been focused on surgery as my husband lost 195 pounds with Roux en Y in 2013  and feels amazing. I am waiting for the orientation at Humber. I am done with diets.

Most Active
Recent Topics