I'm at a loss on how to handle the fact that I my have been black balled by my local surgeons -...

fiercebynature
on 3/10/16 7:04 pm

My story starts November 2014 when I saw a surgeon to have my hip replaced. I weighed 330 pounds  and a referral to the bariatric clinic and a hip surgeon came up at the same time I was sure he would tell me he could not do it. To my surprise he said he could and when I called the bariatric clinic they suggested I get the hip done and get a re-referral for WLS . For 7 months the local surgeon examined me a few  times and each time he said he could do it. One week before the  surgery date he called and said all of his surgeon buddies say they would not touch me so he would send me to Toronto to another surgeon and if he said it could be done , he would do it. The surgeon in Toronto wanted me to loose weight but put me on his list telling me it would take at least a year but that he felt it was irregular for a surgeon to talk about a patient with his Buddy surgeons, he felt I might be black balled here in town.

So at Christmas I suggested to  my GP that we refer me to another surgeon in town. My GP thought I was still on the first local surgeons list. We found out I was not and then I was referred to another surgeon in town. Today I spoke to his receptionist who said that the note from the first local surgeon was put in my file that says basically don't provide surgery for this women until she has had bariatric surgery.

This new surgeon was not even going to call me for a year. No communication at all.

I'm on disability from work because of the hip but  it would run out long before he would be calling and then after he called me there would still be months to wait. 

I certainly hope I can get both surgeries done in the time I have but am I not be consulted or even involved in my own health. I've requested to meet with the surgeon to form a plan but he may not meet with. I've lost  59 pounds since June I think I deserve at least a plan put in place. I am now concerned that I have indeed been black balled.

Anyone got insight or suggestions about this ?

Surgery: 9/2/16 H.W. 340 S.W.254 C W 208

White Dove
on 3/11/16 4:41 am - Warren, OH

There are surgeons who have done hip replacements on patients who have weighed as much as 300+ pounds but many still will not.

You should have an easier hip replacement surgery at a normal weight.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

fiercebynature
on 3/11/16 10:54 am

Thanks for the reply! It's very kind of you .

I'm just worried about the timing in terms of my job and funds.

I also feel it not okay for him  to plan my life without talking to me.(without ever seeing me in fact) I don't really expect him to change his mind, I  expect respect .

Right now I feel less than human and alone so your reply was very nice to see.

Thanks again

White Dove
on 3/11/16 11:02 am - Warren, OH

Surgeons do not want the added risk of operating on someone who is more likely to suffer slow healing, infection and re-operating due to weight.  Once you have weight loss surgery and have lost the excess weight, you will find the funds and opportunity to get your hip surgery and have a much better chance of successful surgery and recovery.

fiercebynature
on 3/11/16 2:28 pm

Thanks again White Dove I just want to be treated like a person I understand his reasons, I just don't understand methods.

White Dove
on 3/11/16 5:28 pm - Warren, OH

I am not sure how it works in Canada but in the states doctors are terrified of malpractice suits and it would be hard to get a surgeon to do a hip replacement at a high weight.

Diminishing Dawn
on 3/12/16 6:24 am - Windsor, Canada

Surgeons do consult with other surgeons. My father needs a very extensive hernia operation.  The surgeon consulted with others about the depth of his surgery or if possibly he could work with one of his colleagues to do the surgery together.  After consulting with numerous other surgeons about my dads risks and benefits, his surger on decided it would be safer to send him to London to see a doctor who had more experience with more severe cases.  

I think it is very likely that they have your best interests at heart and want to make surgery safe for you    

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Most Active
Recent Topics