Understanding the Referral

(deactivated member)
on 4/28/16 4:16 pm

This may be a silly question. Is the referral step when you see your MD to request he/ she "refer" you. I saw my doc on Friday and he said he would be putting my name into a portal as a first step...is that the "referral"? I was so excited to be getting started I didn't ask him about the process.

sneezy6145
on 4/28/16 5:01 pm

Yes, the referral is the first step where your Dr. requests you be considered for the surgery. You'll then get a date for an orientation session. That is a few hours long. You have to do the orientation before you can go any further, so make sure you go to that.  Congratulations on starting your journey! It's a slow journey to start but then it goes quicker.

(deactivated member)
on 4/28/16 5:17 pm

Thanks, Sneezy.  I'm scared and excited.  Mostly, I'm afraid to fail and worried about complications.  I hope that my age isn't a factor in having more complications (52yrs).  I've read what people eat and I think, "can I eat that little food???? Really!!!" Seems impossible right now.  

Teena D.
on 4/28/16 6:49 pm - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 01/12/17

Congratulations! That's the referral. Good luck!  I was referred in February and had my orientation last week. 

RNY Jan 12, 2017 Lost 137 lbs but regained 60.

77 lbs lost and counting!

Losing the regain! I got this!

(deactivated member)
on 4/29/16 2:37 am

Thanks Daizymom.  We're on our way!

Most Active
Recent Topics