Weight Loss pre-surgery

PhoenixNS
on 5/3/16 5:54 am

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone being followed at the WMC at Ottawa Civic Hospital had been asked to lose weight before being approved for surgery. So far, I haven't been asked to and I'm wondering if it's going to come. The Dietician was happy with my eating habits and confirmed my problem is most likely related to PCOS and genetics. I started snacking on the recommended foods (I never really snack normally) and did as I was asked, but all I did was put on 10 lbs...

Referral: Nov 2015 - Group Info: February 2016 - Intake: March 8th, 2016
Class 1: March 26th, 2016 - Nutritionist/Behaviorist: April 22nd, 2016 (blood tests & ECG) - Consult. for prolonged QT: May 31st, 2016 - Class 2: June 17, 2016 - Surgeon consult: June 28, 2016 - Opti: July 21 - Surgery: Aug 11

Laura M.
on 5/3/16 9:38 am - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 06/03/16

I went through the WMC for my surgical process but was passed on to the BMI clinic for all of my appointments (dietitian etc).  As long as you are tracking and showing that you are doing as asked, I don't think they will ask you to lose weight before surgical referral.  Are you following the surgical program already or are you doing their medical program?  I didn't go through the medical program, had my GP put in the surgical referral and then followed along with everything they requested.  My dietitian didn't check on my weight, just checked on my eating habits etc.

GP Referral to OBN - Dec 1/15;   Orientation - Feb 11/16;   Intake meeting - Feb 17;  Consultation w/ surgeon - Apr 18;  Start OPTI - May 13; Pre-Admit w/ Anesthetist - May 16; Surgery - Jun 3/16!!!

PhoenixNS
on 5/4/16 6:22 am

My GP referred me. My dietician checked my weight only for reference at my request. She was really only interested in my habits and was really impressed by my food journal. I've implemented everything we were asked to. Neither she nor the behaviorist wished to see me again. It's just that I'm seeing other posts about other clinics requesting weight loss and i was curious to see if this was thr case for anyone followed at Ottawa.

I'm going through the surgical program. But i have an appointment at the Riverside campus at the end of the month for a consultation with internal medicine regarding a heart issue. If all goes well, I'll be moving on to class 2 of the surgical program. Fingers crossed!

Referral: Nov 2015 - Group Info: February 2016 - Intake: March 8th, 2016
Class 1: March 26th, 2016 - Nutritionist/Behaviorist: April 22nd, 2016 (blood tests & ECG) - Consult. for prolonged QT: May 31st, 2016 - Class 2: June 17, 2016 - Surgeon consult: June 28, 2016 - Opti: July 21 - Surgery: Aug 11

volvo24_43
on 5/4/16 9:25 pm
RNY on 03/02/16

I was 345 when I first saw the people to talk about what I ate and my habits (this was August 2015). They wished to see me again, since I only ate 2 times a day lol. So improved on everything they asked (saw again Nov 2015) and I gained weight (which was my norm, to gain weight each year). By the time I saw my surgeon I was 360 (jan 7 2016, Dr. Yelle) he said due to my size I would do 4 weeks Opti not 3, which was fine and off I went on the journey.

Never had issues with them telling me to loose weight before hand, as I had tried all the other diets etc before with no success. I think you should be fine :)

Beth

Most Active
Recent Topics