Toronto Western Hospital - Orientation

lisade
on 5/18/16 1:31 pm

Hi, I got a phone call yesterday to go for orientation next Wednesday at Toronto Western. I waited approximately 2 months and 2 weeks since my doctor's referal. After the orientation, how long is the remaining process before actually getting surgery - months wise? Also, has anyone gone to Toronto Western? What was your experience like? What can I expect at the orientation and after? 

Thanks ?

Leslie W.
on 5/18/16 1:38 pm - Cobourg, Canada

If it hasn't changed you should leave orientation with your next three appointments. After they do their presentation and you have a chance to ask questions you will be given chance to decide if you want to procede. Believe me you will meet people looking for band, those who have no idea what rny is. Even those who want to puree their big mac. I had orientation April then surgery October.

If you don't mind having your appointments on different days you can get in a little faster. Good luck

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
Teena D.
on 5/19/16 6:14 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 01/12/17
Teena D.
on 5/19/16 6:15 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 01/12/17

Basically what Leslie said - I had my orientation last month. They did a presentation, you're able to ask questions.  If you are bringing a support person with you - be prepared that they may be a little freaked out... unless they have been sharing your research.  When we were leaving, we were in the elevator with 2 other sets of people and all the support people were saying they didn't want the other person to have the surgery.  

My dad came with me because my husband had to work and I told him that it was far more important for me to be a healthy weight. He just didn't realize the scope of it. I'm glad my husband wasn't there- he's not a fan of me having the surgery to begin with.

Also- not sure where you live but if you're not in Toronto they give you the option of having the appointments by telehealth.  I said no, because I thought it would delay the process. It doesn't at all. And I'm able to go to the clinic 5 minutes from my house rather than to TWH 70 kms away. There's no longer a distance requirement for Telehealth.  

RNY Jan 12, 2017 Lost 137 lbs but regained 60.

77 lbs lost and counting!

Losing the regain! I got this!

Roma
on 5/19/16 4:06 pm
RNY on 06/15/15

I went through Western. It's an excellent program. My timeline is below in my signature, though I understand I went through the process quickly. Good luck! 

Referral: 8/14; Orientation TWH: 12/14; Nurse: 01/15; SW, Dietician, Psych: 2/15; Surgeon: 5/15; RNY: June 15/2015

Teena D.
on 5/19/16 7:52 pm - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 01/12/17

Oh I hope mine moves quickly! My orientation was last month. Social worker next month and nurse in July. I go to the nutrition class in August. 

Dundreggen
on 5/24/16 7:10 pm - Canada

I am a little bit more current but you can see my progress so far.  I am hoping I will have surgery by the fall.

Referral TWH: Sept 2015 Orientation: Nov 2015 Social Worker: Jan 2016 Nurse practitioner: Feb 2016 Nutrition (group): Mar 2016 Nutritionist: May 2016 Psych: May 2016 Meeting with Surgeon: July 2016 Surgery!: Nov 2016

So far 80 pounds lost!

LeslieT3440
on 5/21/16 4:26 am - Mississauga, Canada

Hi, I had my orientation in April 2015 and just got my appointment with the Surgeon for July 22. TWH is a long process but they are very supportive.

IamBettyCooper
on 5/22/16 1:43 pm

I am scheduled for surgery July 8 at TWH.  I had my orientation in July 2015 and it has taken this long to get the surgery appointment, I think there was a bit of a backlog.  HRRH folks seem to get surgery much quicker.

Orientation is a group thing, lots of information so take notes.   Otherwise, just patiently waited for the remaining appointments.  Have been very happy with the staff, they are all very professional and caring.

Teena D.
on 5/25/16 5:29 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 01/12/17

From what I've seen, HRRH wait a lot longer from Orientation to first appointment but then from that first appointment it really starts moving quickly.

Most Active
Recent Topics