Hummas?

wiccandove
on 6/20/16 10:11 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 06/06/16

HI All

3 weeks out now and 38 pounds down since starting optifast! Finding it a bit easier to get my protein in since I can have chili. Anyway here is my question of the day:

Hummas - my BF went out and bought a Vitamix (!!!) and we saw that I can have hummas now so we are going to make our own. My question is, what do you eat with the hummas? Melba toast? I do't see pita as an option for week 3 and carrots are supposed to be pureed as well.

On a side note this Vitamix is CRAZY! The one we have even says it can make peanut butter just from peanuts and nothing else. I love the idea of knowing exactly what is in my food and not a bunch of preservatives and chemicals :)

ladygodiva1228
on 6/20/16 10:32 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

I would really try and limit how many carbs your getting and focus on the protein.  Hummus has more carbs than protein and honestly I would steer away from eating hummus until you are a further along. 

Just because your plan says you can have something doesn't mean you should. 

Stick with the chili.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

wiccandove
on 6/20/16 11:31 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 06/06/16

So I compared 4 oz of Wendys chili (113 grams) to 100 grams of (store bought)hummus:

Chili: Carbs 10 Protein 8

hummas: Carbs 14 Protein 8

So thats not to far off from each other. The fat however is way different

Chili: fat 3g

Hummus: Fat 10g

Any other opinions? Should I try this or wait? 

crqvingchange
on 6/20/16 11:55 am

IMHO I would wait.  It would be hard at this point for you to eat 100g of hummus, but also you are only a few weeks out, and hummus can cause big time gas which could hurt.  If you do decide to try it, go slowly, and plan on staying at home after just in case.  

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

wiccandove
on 6/20/16 2:13 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 06/06/16

hmm didn't think about the gas lol. 

(deactivated member)
on 6/22/16 4:22 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

You are likely still on puree so you could use hummus to season your mushed up meat a bit to give it a different flavour.  If you pureed some chicken, you could top it with some hummus so it's not as bland as just pureed chicken.  You could eat it by the tsp full if you want to.  During pureed, the easiest way to get protein is still through shakes.  IMO, if you want some hummus for a different taste then go for it, I wouldn't rely on it for protein that is for sure.  I made a chick pea soup that needs to be pureed and of course it has a lot of protein but also has lots of carbs due to the chick peas.  Until you are on solids, I found we end up ingesting more carbs if we want more variety than just shakes and pureed meat and there is nothing wrong with that.  Vegetarians have to rely on beans for their protein and they sacrifice the extra carbs to get in their protein in a way that they can.  It's still all calories in vs calories out at the end of the day. I ate mostly meat and protein shakes but did have the odd day of pureed beans as sometimes it it just much more palatable than mushed up liver let's say.  :)

Most Active
Recent Topics