New to this- help

ariatower29
on 6/22/16 6:48 pm

Hi everyone

this is my story- I am 29 years and currently 240lbs. I have struggled with my weight all my life. Tried all diets and spent over $10,000 over the last 5 years. I acutely lost 50lbs at a time but couldn't keep it off.

I'm again at a desperate place where I think a permanent solution will help. My current bmi is 42.

I've done some research and I would prefer if it was paid by Ohip. Can you kindly assist me with information as to who to go to for assessment. I don't have a general/ regular doctor plus I don't take medication.

I'm in ontario so would prefer any information around toronto & hamilton area.

Thank you in advance to anyone who offers assistance or guidance.

wiccandove
on 6/22/16 7:28 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 06/06/16

I think you need to be referred by your primary care doctor, but not 100% sure on that

ariatower29
on 6/23/16 2:34 am

Sure thanks 

MonaLisaSmile
on 6/22/16 7:58 pm - Canada

Most people would approach a family doc and ask to be referered.  You already qualify for OHIP by having over a 40 BMI alone BUT if you have other weight related Co morbidities they should be included as well.

A clinic will then contact you according your postal code......and you go from there.  You might want to start shopping for a family Dr. But any  Dr  can refer you and send in the paperwork, I have even read that people have got walk in clinic dr.s to do it. 

SW- 260    GW- 150    CW -138    Height - 5'5      RNY- St Josephs Hamilton July 17/2015  

ariatower29
on 6/23/16 2:34 am

Thanks Monalisa. I don't have any weight related problems and not on prescriptions. I do intend to have a baby next year with my husband. Do you suggest going through the process after the baby? How would vgs affect me if I get pregnant after surgery? Thanks 

Catw
on 6/23/16 5:56 am - Arnprior, Canada

Hi, you need to get a referral done.  This can be done by either your family physician, or a clinic.  They will electronically send it to the Bariatric Centre.  The Centre will then assign you to a hospital based on your postal code.  From there, you go though a number of appointments.  Each clinic is different, but take about 18 months from Orientation to surgery.

As for pregnancy, it is suggested to not get pregnant for 12 - 18 months after surgery (some have had unexpected pregnancies earlier, but need even closer monitoring).  It is easier to become pregnant after you lose weight.  Depending on what stage you get pregnant at, will mean what you need to watch for during pregnancies.  I have not heard of problems during pregnancy after surgery.

I wish you well in your journey.

Cathy

ariatower29
on 6/23/16 6:05 am

Thank you. I think I have all the necessary information to consider. 

Leslie W.
on 6/23/16 2:24 pm - Cobourg, Canada

A MD or nurse practioner can do the referral. As for pregnancy you really want to do it before you start process or wait a yr or 2 till you have lost the weight. The process from referral to surgery can take 1 yr to 18 months or more. Many appointments to go through once accepted into program. I have a freind who got pregnant 6 months post op. It puts you a high risk ddue to malabsorption and low calorie intake.

Good luck and welcome.

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
Most Active
Recent Topics