H pilori strikes it's ugly head

thisgirl
on 6/24/16 2:47 am

My last hurdle pre surgeon referral was the repeat test...and of course it came back positive setting me back another month. 

This round of antibiotics is way more agressive and is wreaking havoc on my stomach. Has anyone gone through this? What's the likelihood of needing a third round in a month's time.

Ottawa people, how long after surgeon referral did you have surgery?

(surgery - Nov 4)

Catw
on 6/24/16 5:31 am - Arnprior, Canada

I didn't have the H-Pylori, so can't help you there.  Hope this round does the trick though.  Ask the nurse or pharmacist if there is anything you can do about the stomach problems.  (At least they are now and not after surgery, it would be worse).  They may suggest eating a specific type of food with it or something like that.

Unless the process has changed, the surgeons get together the first week of the month, to plan the next month's surgeries.  i.e next week, they'll plan August.  If you are in the August group, you'd find out at the end of next week approximately. I think the surgeon passed me at the end of May or first couple days of June, and I fluked to get end of June (cancellation), was expecting to have mine in July.  But that was almost 5 years ago.

Cathy

HKT53
on 6/24/16 7:46 am - Toronto, Canada

I tested positive for H Pylori two times while waiting for surgery. (Also positive 3 years prior) I hope you are taking the breath test and not just blood test. The breath test will confirm if you have the bug active right now. The blood tests will show positive for H Pylori for the rest of your life, even when you do not have it active. Its kind of like the measles - it always is present in your blood work. After the second round of antibiotics, I had to wait 3 months to be tested again. You have to pay a fee for the breath test. In Toronto, its $80 not covered by insurance or OHIP. Are you waiting for RNY?

Referral - Feb/14, Orientation HRRH - September/14, Surgeon appt. & gastroscopy Dr. Hagen - October/14, Trio appts. - April/15, Dr. Glazer - April/15, Revision RNY - July 10, 2015

thisgirl
on 6/24/16 8:00 am

Blood test the first time, breath the second. Will also be doing another breath test in a month. I'm waiting for surgery just not sure if surgeon will recommend rny or vs.

(surgery - Nov 4)

Mom2Chi
on 6/25/16 3:47 am

I have it too, big pain in the butt! I was told that you have to wait 6 weeks ferom your last treatment to do the rest, otherwise you might get a false positive. I have my breath test in another week and am crossing my fingers.

Was your second round of antibiotics any different than the first? I'm preparing myself now.

thisgirl
on 6/25/16 5:42 am

Oh I was told 4 weeks. Maybe I'll wait a bit longer this time. Dr. Told me count a month from the day i stop taking them and go thre followong day.

This round is nasty. 8 pill/day. ? hope yours comes back negative. You in Ottawa?

(surgery - Nov 4)

Mom2Chi
on 6/25/16 7:09 am

My first round was 8 pills a day for 7 days. They were gross, constant metallic taste in my mouth, so I'm hoping not to have to do it again.  I'm going through Windsor but live in London.

Most Active
Recent Topics