Referral Has Been Made

Jennifer G.
on 6/24/16 11:26 am - London Area, Canada

My Dr and I did my referral online this week and it indicated my centre is Guelph.  I am hoping I can do some appointments closer to home (bloodwork etc) as Guelph is almost a three hour drive (and I am terrified of driving on anything but the 402 and smaller highways).  My Dr didn't have a lot of information to tell me, just said I should get something in the mail or by phone.  Is that right?  Will the Guelph centre call me or send me info in the mail?  

Also, did anyone have to deal with family or spouses that just don't understand?  My hubby told me the other night that he doesn't understand why I am doing this...why not just exercise and eat better?  Um, because that has worked real well in the past (*sarcasm).  Is this doable without 100% support from family/spouse?  Will the orientation help him understand the process and how it will help me along with the exercise and different eating habits?

Thanks for you help :)  I am looking forward to getting everything moving in the right direction.  

Lap-Band May 2011...emptied Feb 2012 for gallstone issues...surprise baby girl born Oct 2012...Lap-Band removed Jan 2016 due to slippage and erosion...Referral submitted June 2016 

Leslie W.
on 6/24/16 11:45 am - Cobourg, Canada

Welcome. I didn't go through Guelph. You will get orientation info in mail. It can take more than 6 months before you hear anything. Sometimes quicker. Expect it to take 1-2 yrs from referral to surgery. Sometimes it is quicker. You will have many appointments. First is orientation. Telehealth may be option for some of your appointments.

Bring your husband to appointments. As well find a local support group. It allows you to ask questions and meet people going through wls anf those who have had it.. i brought my husband with me. It lets you see there is 'normal' after wls. Will also let your husband ask questions.

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
Solstice
on 6/24/16 12:02 pm
RNY on 11/27/14

Congrats on this big step! I am from London area too, 2.5 hours away from Guelph.

My doc sent my referral in early October, I got a call from Guelph in early December 2013 to confirm a date  for the Orientation meeting, telling me a letter would come, then the letter for a group orientation meeting came in advance of the meeting which happened 3 weeks later. Take your spouse for sure, information is power!

Solstice

White Dove
on 6/24/16 1:34 pm - Warren, OH

My center, in Ohio, does a pre-surgery workshop on dealing with family and emotional issues.  We use the book

The Emotional First + Aid Kit: A Practical Guide to Life After Bariatric Surgery by Cynthia L. Alexander

If you get that book and read it, you can get help with this and many other issues.

Many marriages break up when one partner changes drastically.  It takes work and determination to make a marriage survive this type of challenge.  The surgery, food plan, exercise changes and weight loss are something you do for yourself.  Support from others is wonderful, but you can do it with zero support from family or others.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

MonaLisaSmile
on 6/24/16 1:45 pm - Canada

Guelph will contact you.

Definately have him come along,  it's a tough process, it would be truly helpful to you to have his full support.  He may be just worried that something bad may happen to you???

You will need at least one" go to" person for support during this process.  If not him, hopefully you have a friend or family member who can be there for you .

Men sometimes just don't understand a woman's mind ( sorry guys) 

Just like we don't always understand them !!!

SW- 260    GW- 150    CW -138    Height - 5'5      RNY- St Josephs Hamilton July 17/2015  

Ginnny
on 6/24/16 4:14 pm, edited 6/24/16 9:16 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

Hi, you mention the 402 so I'm guessing you're west of London? I would think you would go through the RBC in Windsor for All your orientation and appts. But who knows for sure. 

I only told my spouse and no one else. He is supportive but sometimes just doesn't get it. I friended a person I met on this site and she's helped me tremendously. She's my go to lady and we haven't even met yet! (Soon Monica!). 

If he's willing to go with you I would suggest you take him to at least the orientation. It might help understand that surgery is just a tool and that diet and exercise is also key! 

My referral happened in early June and I had orientation on July 2nd last year  surgery was 11 weeks ago! 

Good luck to you  

Jennifer G.
on 6/25/16 11:29 am - London Area, Canada

Oh maybe I will go to Windsor then.  Guelph came up on the referral online so my Dr just said they would be my centre.  He probably doesn't even know.

Lap-Band May 2011...emptied Feb 2012 for gallstone issues...surprise baby girl born Oct 2012...Lap-Band removed Jan 2016 due to slippage and erosion...Referral submitted June 2016 

Jo0710
on 6/24/16 7:25 pm

I'm from London and all my appointments are in Windsor. My referral was late April and my orientation was May 9. I have my 2 hour nurse appointment July 20. Windsor gave me a big package of info and I've been for my blood work (iron low and vitamin d low- which seems to be why other levels were wonky). 

My husband and a few of of my co workers are very supportive and so are my parents and mother in law but I have a couple co workers that are dead against me going. 

Its tough! We could always be a support for each other since we are close. My daughter was born in Nov 2012! 

leeann73
on 6/25/16 4:56 pm

Hello , I drive on the 402 a time. I am west of London. My referral was done just over two weeks ago. My hubby has said the same thing. I just think as we go through the process, they will understand. 

Manda32
on 6/25/16 8:44 pm

I'm not sure whether you will be going to Guelph or Windsor. Probably luck of the draw. I'm from London and I'm going through windsor, but I've heard of other people in London going to Guelph so until you get your orientation letter you won't know.

I'm in the early stages too. I can tell you from my little bit of experience thus far, is if you end up going to Windsor, some of the tests, like bloodwork, ekg, and sleep study test can be arranged by your family doctor. Those are basic tests they will want you to do. Whether you have to do more might depend on your medical history.

All the other appointments will be at your center.

There always seemts to be one person in a family who might not be 100 percent supportive. Sometimes you have to give them time to come around.  My mom was against me doing it for years (as I've thought about it for years), but as  I gave her more information about it and she learns more she's been very supportive.

My husband was first more worried about me doing the surgery, and having something go wrong in the operation room. Which I think is a concern anyone might have when one is doing sugery, but he's got more comfortable with it.

I would definitely take your husband to the orientation. It will give you both more information, and information is key. Sometimes its what people don't know that they fear. You will have opportunities at the orientation to ask questions. A nurse does part of the orientation and the dietician does the last half. It might help him to understand and give him an opportunity to ask any questions he has.

I know my center encourages support people. In the form for my nurse appointment, you have to list support people. Even if some people in your life don't understand I hope for your sake that doesn't mean they won't support you. I don't think  people always have to understand or agree with your position to be supportive.

I wish you the best of luck. Hope some of this helps.

Most Active
Recent Topics