Wharton Medical clinic - TORONTO, ON

skinny_gigi
on 6/25/16 10:45 am

Hi everyone,

I have my first appointment at the wharton medical clinic in toronto in a couple weeks and i really want to have gastric sleeve surgery.  I've been up and down with my weight for my whole life and I really want to move forward with this.  Has anyone had any experience through the wharton clinic and how long is the wait to get surgery in Toronto?  

Would love to hear from anyone who has experience.

Thanks!

Leslie W.
on 6/25/16 3:57 pm - Cobourg, Canada

The Wharton clinic is not part of the Bariatric program. You need to get your md to complete referral to the Bariatric registry. Once registered and you meet the reuirements with your bmi you will start the process. It can take 1-2yr depending what site you are registered with. The site goes by where you live.

RNY is the gold standard in Ontario. For sleeve you need to have preexisting problem that make rny no fesible. Once you have orientation and get to surgeon or nurse practioner you can express what you want but be prepared to make your case.

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
skinny_gigi
on 6/26/16 5:08 pm

Thanks for the info.  I was hoping to get the referral for WLS through the Wharton clinic, but if not that's fine I can ask my family doctor.  (So is there any point to go to Wharton?)

Also just wondering from the sleevers in ontario - how they go the sleeve vs. rny?  I'm open to either, but from what I've read people have had great success with the sleeve...so I was leaning towards that, but I'm not a dr.  

My BMI is 43, so I think OHIP would cover it.  Anyway i'm new to all this, any info would help.

Thanks!

Tracks
on 6/27/16 7:49 am - Halton Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/25/17

I was attending the Wharton Medical Clinic and it was they *****ferred me to the bariatric clinic at Humber River.   My family doctor thought I'd be able to get in quicker if the referral came from Wharton.  I'm not sure that was true because it was about 6 months before I got a call for my orientation.    It was another 8 months after orientation that I got a call for my first appointment with the surgeon.

My appointment with the surgeon was VERY quick - he was running behind and didn't have much time to talk.  I quickly mentioned the sleeve and his immediate response was in was inferior.   I was in an out so quick there was no time to go into any details.  I think when I have my appointment with Dr. Glazer, I'll have more time to get into details and see if the sleeve is an option.  For now, I have opened my mind up to RNY.

skinny_gigi
on 6/28/16 4:04 pm

So the referral was sent to TWH...so now the wait begins!

Most Active
Recent Topics