Time from Referral to Surgery

brynnd
on 6/28/16 5:35 pm

I'm brand new to the forum but I've been lurking through it for months. I can't find any up to date threads on the topic. 

I literally just got my referral two hours ago. My doctor said I was a great candidate; as I have had several spinal surgeries and have exhausted every other weight loss option. I'm opting for VSG, which he said is usually not the first choice but would work for me because I'll have to be on NSAIDs for the rest of my life. 

Anyways, he referred me to St. Joe's which I've heard really great things about! I'm just wondering how long it usually takes from the time of referral to the date of surgery. Has anyone else gone to St. Joe's? If so, how was your experience? 

Thank you so much!

MonaLisaSmile
on 6/28/16 6:48 pm - Canada

If you are talking St Joes Hamilton. ...I waited 18mths.  I think the timelines have improved since then. I will be 1yr post op next month.  There are some people fast tracking in 6mths that I have saw on this forum, maybe you will be one of the lucky ones.

SW- 260    GW- 150    CW -138    Height - 5'5      RNY- St Josephs Hamilton July 17/2015  

brynnd
on 6/28/16 8:15 pm

Yes. I was talking about St. Joe's in Hamilton. Thank you.

Manda32
on 6/28/16 7:51 pm

I can't comment on wait times as I'm not going through that center, but I recently had my NP appointment, and as I would prefer a VSG myself (not likely happening), but its seems unless for certain medical reasons, most will get the RNY. However, the nurse did say anyone who has to be on NSAIDs for life will get the VSG.

Good luck to you on your journey!

breuxo
on 6/29/16 5:39 am

they actually don't recommend anyone who has had the sleeve or rny take NSAIDs anymore, so I'm not sure what the surgeon will say. I was referred Jan, had my info session feb 29th, nurse intake April 25, nut class may, SW may, Doctor in May as well. I go to see the dietician and SW again July 11 to see if they give me the ok. I'm going through Windsor so kind of gives you a time line. 

Leslie W.
on 6/29/16 7:46 am - Cobourg, Canada

Check with your doctor that he sent your referral to the bariatric registry and not to st.joe directly. All referrals need to be done electronically to the registry. Where your referral goes depends on where you live. For me took 18 months. Expect about a year at least from referral to surgery. You will get a letter for orientation first. It may take up to 6 months to get it. Thenyou will see social worker, dietician, psychologist, surgeon etc... depending on history you may have to see someone a second time or have other tests done.

If you have symptoms for sleep apnea get your md to get sleep study done. VSG is usually reserved for those with very high bmi or a medical condition that prevents rny such as previous abdominal surgery that prevents rny.

One thing I learned was patience going through this as slow. Use the time waiting to make better food choices. Cut out pop, fast food, junk food. They dont look for weight loss but look to see that you are able to make change

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
brynnd
on 6/29/16 8:00 am

Thank you for the reply! He actually sent the referral directly to St. Joe's. I watched him do it and he told me he was sending it directly. I'm not sure why he bypassed the registry but I'm glad he did as I was hoping to be sent to St. Joe's.

And he told me to expect a six month wait from the time of referral to the time of surgery. I have a very high BMI and have had multiple spinal surgeries that will ensure that I will be on NSAIDs and other pain medications for the remainder of my life. So, he said I'd be a good candidate for VSG.

Teena D.
on 6/29/16 9:07 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 01/12/17

it would be a good idea to call St. Joe's just to confirm receipt and make sure they don't require it to be through the registry.  You don't want to find out in 2 months that he did it incorrectly. :)

RNY Jan 12, 2017 Lost 137 lbs but regained 60.

77 lbs lost and counting!

Losing the regain! I got this!

Eragon2015
on 6/29/16 3:04 pm - Barrie, Ontario, Canada

I was 14 months. Feb/15 to June/16. I went through Humber. 

RNY Surgery June 15, 2016 with Dr Hagen

HW 267 CW 193

corky1
on 6/29/16 3:44 pm - Caledonia, Canada
RNY on 08/24/16

It would be a good idea to check with St. Joe's to see if they got your referral, since it didn't go through the registry.  They do say referrals must go from family doctor to the bariatric registry,  then they determine where it goes after they approve you for surgery.  Geography is a factor,  the centres are in Guelph, Hamilton, Toronto and Ottawa.  The wait time in Hamilton seems to be one year from orientation to first appointment, then surgery about two months later.  It could be longer if you need tests such as a sleep study.  Good luck in your journey!

Most Active
Recent Topics