Preparing for the process

misskellyk
on 7/30/16 7:50 am

Hi everyone! I'm loving this forum and reading about everyone's experiences and successes. I was referred last Dec and had an orientation at HRRH on January 29, 2016. Finally meeting with surgeon (Dr. Hagen) on August 8th. I have some questions:

1. What can/should I expect from that first appointment?
  2. What should I be doing to prepare?
  3. What reasons would the "trio"  (or any member therein) put off my surgery?
  4. What will Dr.Glazer be looking at? (Blood work etc?)

Note: I have type II diabetes. I assume controlled blood sugar is a must before surgery? 

Thanks in advance! Any and all advice is welcome!

Kelly

Nikitabanana
on 7/31/16 4:47 am
RNY on 05/25/16

Hello, I will answer your questions as best I can based on my experience with HRRH. 

1.  Expect to possibly wait a long time for a 60 second appointment.  The surgeon will confirm that you 'qualify' for surgery based on your BMI and may ask you a quick few questions like 'what have you done to try to lose weight in the past?' 'What worked?' Etc but it felt super quick and rushed for me. 
  2. This is an important question and what you do now will make it easier for you post op - in my experience I cut out all pop/carbonated beverages, stopped fast food, was more aware of triggers/head hunger, etc. At the trio appt they will want to know what you've done to start making positive changes. Oh I also started using my fitness pal (it's a free app that tracks your food intake, weight loss, etc etc) and started walking and maintained a journal daily (questions I had, how I was feeling, food, etc)
  3. many reasons - for me the nurse was no problem (just tells you what to take after surgery etc), the nutritionist was most difficult - asks you to explain the procedure and quizzes you on the supplement regime post op - the eating phases including duration and examples of food etc. Make sure you study your orientation package! Also she looks at your food diary log and if it's not well balanced she may offer suggestions and ask you to come back or call back to discuss. The social worker makes sure you have support and are mentally/emotionally prepped for these changes.  
  4. Dr glazer will look at your overall health to ensure you are physically fit for surgery. He will look at your vitals (blood pressure, heart, etc) and will also ask if you've ever had a sleep test done. If you haven't I suggest you do this now! He will want to see those results and if you need a CPAP you will need to bring it for surgery. 

Sorry im not sure about the diabetes but ask the nurse or surgeon at your appointment.  

Good luck! Hope this helps!!

Referral sent: 1/26/15 / Sleep study: 2/23/15 / Orientation: 4/20/15 HRRH / Meet Dr. Hagen: 11/17/15 (no show) / Meet Dr. Klein: 12/10/15 / Trio appointments: 2/11/16 / Follow up appointment SW and RD: 3/16/16 / Dr. Glazer: 3/30/16 / Dr. Klein: 5/9/16 / Surgery date 5/25/16 / LBL with Dr. Nandagopal 3/9/18 - PS SW 155

HW - 280. Opti start - 280. Surgery day - 266. CW - 142.

misskellyk
on 8/1/16 9:39 am

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions! You have helped me immensely! I did book a sleep study but it's not until October 26. Good to know about the CPAP! 

The nutritionist part is daunting! But thanks for the heads up! I'll study hard! ??

You're an angel! Thanks again! 

Kelly

(ps I was getting worried when no one responded...do you think I was asking too much in one post? Or is this information out there and I didn't look hard enough? I hate to be a pest!) 

Nikitabanana
on 8/2/16 3:04 am
RNY on 05/25/16

No problem at all - glad it was helpful :)

could be that it was coming up to the long weekend and folks were busy. Also if someone else responded (me in this case) and they didn't have anything additional to add they may have moved to the next post. You may get some more responses yet - sometimes it takes awhile. Pre-op I found I was on the forum several times a day but now I'm on every few days. 

Good luck and keep posting any questions or PM me anytime!

Nikki

Referral sent: 1/26/15 / Sleep study: 2/23/15 / Orientation: 4/20/15 HRRH / Meet Dr. Hagen: 11/17/15 (no show) / Meet Dr. Klein: 12/10/15 / Trio appointments: 2/11/16 / Follow up appointment SW and RD: 3/16/16 / Dr. Glazer: 3/30/16 / Dr. Klein: 5/9/16 / Surgery date 5/25/16 / LBL with Dr. Nandagopal 3/9/18 - PS SW 155

HW - 280. Opti start - 280. Surgery day - 266. CW - 142.

Most Active
Recent Topics