surgical ed weight gain?

breuxo
on 8/17/16 4:49 am

if you gain weight or don't loose anything I heard they send you home from the surgical education class in Windsor, does anyone know if that's true? there is so many reasons someone can gain 1-2 pounds in a day, period alone is 3 pounds in a day, would they actually send you home??

referred mid Jan, info session feb 29th, nurse April 25th, nut class may 3rd, Doctor may 10th, social worker may 12th, dietician & sw July 11th, Doctor July 19, surgical education class August 22, meet the surgeon August 31, surgery September 22/16

Teena D.
on 8/17/16 11:54 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 01/12/17

I haven't heard that at my hospital- I hope it's not the case! Good luck.

RNY Jan 12, 2017 Lost 137 lbs but regained 60.

77 lbs lost and counting!

Losing the regain! I got this!

breuxo
on 8/17/16 12:54 pm

it's giving me a lot of aniexty, I was 247 last weigh in there and that's what I've been at home. I don't want to drive two hours to be told to go home especially when your weight changes a pound give or take a day. 

referred mid Jan, info session feb 29th, nurse April 25th, nut class may 3rd, Doctor may 10th, social worker may 12th, dietician & sw July 11th, Doctor July 19, surgical education class August 22, meet the surgeon August 31, surgery September 22/16

LeslieT3440
on 8/17/16 3:34 pm - Mississauga, Canada

I honestly don't think they would count anything below the 10 lb mark. I have gained over 20 lbs since my 1st weigh in and they excused that due to the fact I had to quit smoking to qualify for surgery and was told a gain is expected. I quit smoking in April 2015 and am now down 14 of those gained lb which I have lost in since the beginning of August and I had  my surgeon appointment July 22 and given a surgery date of Nov 25th I'm going through TWH. I wouldn't worry too much about anything less than a 5 lb gain. If you have time you could try eating extremely low carb and high protein until then to help prevent any gain.

Best of luck

RNY - TWH - Orientation April 2015,  SW July 2015, NP Sept 2015, NUT class November 2015, NUT & Psych January 2016, 2nd NUT April 2016, Meet the Surgeon July 2016, Surgery October 4th 2016

Teena D.
on 8/17/16 12:59 pm - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 01/12/17

I really can't see that they would do that. If we were great at losing, we wouldn't need sugery in the first place.

RNY Jan 12, 2017 Lost 137 lbs but regained 60.

77 lbs lost and counting!

Losing the regain! I got this!

breuxo
on 8/17/16 1:02 pm

I know right!!! I wouldn't need this drastic surgery to help me loose weight if I could just do it on my own. I really hope Monday hurries up and comes so I can go to my surgical class so myaniexty subsides!! lol I think I'm so terrified to gain and get delayed i need to calm down. lol

Ginnny
on 8/17/16 1:13 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

I was told from the very beginning in Windsor that they don't expect you to lose weight.  They want to know that you understand the changes you need to make and see that you are working on making those changes.

You need to stop listening to the heresay.  Unless you personally know someone that happened to don't listen to ..."well I heard this....."

I was borderline qualified with BMI just under 40 with 1 comorbidity at the start of the process and I lost weight (18 lbs)  between referral and meet the surgeon which obviously lowered my BMI even further and I had surgery no problem.

Over 100 lbs lost! and 13 lbs below goal weight!

fiercebynature
on 8/18/16 9:06 am

I have my pre op surgeon meeting tomorrow, I start opti tomorrow, have gained 5 pounds of the 68 pounds I had lost pre surgery in the last two  to three weeks.

I'm also worried but I'm hoping it's just paranoia.

After waiting so long and working so hard I think part of me can't actually believe that it will happen.

Also the curse of the last supper is real.

(Even though I fought it tooth and nail) your mind tells you repeatedly -EAT THAT BECAUSE YOU WILL NEVER GET IT AGAIN! not helpful.

Despite the weight gain I feel so strong to go forward.

I'll let you know how my meeting goes.

Surgery: 9/2/16 H.W. 340 S.W.254 C W 208

breuxo
on 8/18/16 9:28 am

perhaps some of the 5 you gained is jus****er weight? I was so upset last weekend thinking I gained 3 pounds over it but learnt I would have had to eat 15,000 Cals over the weekend to gain that, and I surely didn't lol. most my weight has came off as it was water weight (I started drinking a ton of water almost 10 cups a day lol) but I'm no lower than last time hopefully I'm ok. I hope you are ok we come so far I hope they know how hard it for us, yes you gained 5, but you lost 60. I hope they look at it that way for you. good luck

fiercebynature
on 8/18/16 12:43 pm

Thanks ! We shall see tomorrow.

Surgery: 9/2/16 H.W. 340 S.W.254 C W 208

Most Active
Recent Topics