1.5 weeks post op.

Shivani
on 8/18/16 8:45 pm

Hey everyone.  

Im back :-). Surgery went okay. Had some unexplainable complications on day 2 in hospital - all tests were clear but it was very scary. I'm feeling well and feeling a bit discouraged at the moment. Here's why: 

1.  I was 10 pounds heavier leaving the hospital than when I checked in. 
  2. I am sticking to doctors orders- water, vitamins and protein but I don't have too much of that full feeling. I'm not hungry but don't feel " full" when I eat. 
  3. Ive only lost 3 pounds
  4. I keep thinking that something is wrong- I have no difficulty digesting soups - I blend everything but I am sure I can eat more than 1/2 cup of soup at a time. I can eat 1/2 cup of soup and a container of yogurt with no problem in about 45 mins and this scares me that something is wrong here- shouldn't I be full?! 

Help! 

Leslie W.
on 8/19/16 4:44 am - Cobourg, Canada

You won't have a full feeling yet.

They pump you full of iv fluids which is why weight is up. It will come off.

Soups liquids are flider foods which means they don't stay in your pouch. Your pouch is really swollen and healing. Nerves need to regenerate before the full feeling comes back. This is why it is so important to measure and follow guidelines. I ate by the clock for months.it will take time to get your protein up as right now very limited intake. Concentrate on protein first and keep hydrated. The rest will follow. You will wake up one day soon and drop 5 lb overnight.

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
Ginnny
on 8/19/16 4:45 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

You were heavier coming out of the hospital than when you went in because you are full of IV fluids and gas.  I was the same but lost in within a few days.  Your body is adjusting to the trauma of surgery, the scale will catch up.  NORMAL

You don't feel full because your nerves were cut during surgery, your insides are healing.  DO NOT eat more than recommended, you can damage your pouch and slow the healing.  Don't go looking for that full feeling.  Food is fuel, you don't want to ever feel full again, because when you do it's likely because you've ate too much and you'll pay for it!

Use the "Search this Forum" task bar at the top, all the feelings and thoughts you are having or will have, have already been had by all those that have come before us!! 

Hang in there, it will get better!  And good luck to you!

G.

Over 100 lbs lost! and 13 lbs below goal weight!

wiccandove
on 8/19/16 9:56 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 06/06/16

Just a word of caution - don't eat more then the suggested amounts looking for that full feeling. You won't feel full but if you eat to much you will feel pain and nausea and might even vomit. Weigh and measure everything and time when you eat and how long between bites ect. Your pouch can't tell you when you've had enough this early out because its still healing so you need to rely on your head, and measuring cups :P

sneezy6145
on 8/19/16 10:00 am

My advice, skip the scale at this point. I personally don't have one because I know I would be one of those people who it would rule my life. I didn't get weighed until I saw my surgeon 2 weeks after my surgery. I was shocked that I had lost 21 pounds. When I was at the receptionist desk to make my next appointment, I started to cry. She felt bad for me but I assured her they were happy tears. I didn't expect that much. 

Just keep doing what you are doing and don't live by the scale yet. The pounds will come off!

Teena D.
on 8/20/16 9:01 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 01/12/17

I love that all the vets had exactly the same advice. 

RNY Jan 12, 2017 Lost 137 lbs but regained 60.

77 lbs lost and counting!

Losing the regain! I got this!

Most Active
Recent Topics