Long time reader, just made an account. Had surgery yesterday.

Amagdala
on 8/19/16 2:04 am
RNY on 08/18/16

Hello

im new to being an actual member to these forums though I've been reading them for a while.

im joining you from my Ottawa Civic Hospital bed as I had my roux-en-y surgery August 18th 2016 at 8am. Surgery went well but I am quite sore, that last dose of Tylenol and dilaudid didn't really help, I'll probably call up my nurse again soon. 

This surgery has been a long time in the making, I started with the nutrition/months and months of optifast program in winter 2014. I lost a fair amount of weight only to gain it back and more. So after a lot of thought and some nervous hesitation (I'm only 23 years old) I started on the path to surgery. I was finally booked to have surgery with Mammaza June 22nd 2016. 

But it that didn't happen. My appendix decided to put up a fight and was removed June 14th. I was already done 2 of the 3 weeks of pre op optifast. I was not impressed. This led to the delay of my surgery. Which was also of concern because I am scheduled to write the MCAT for med school applications on September 10th and I have a trip to Europe at the end of September. So the extra 2 months of healing time would have been nice. 

The appendix removal also occurred 3 days before I was to write my medical lab tech licensing exam, which I did end up writing on schedule and passing, one bit of good news.

Mammaza said he saw no adhesions from the appendectomy which was a concern going in, so hopefully things go smoother from here on out.

Thanks for reading this piece of my story. If you have any advice for post op pain or 1.5 month post op travel or anything else you see fit let me know :) 

Lovely_Caprice
on 8/19/16 8:19 am

Good Luck!!! I am scheduled for my RnY on September 9.  He is my surgeon. 

Amagdala
on 8/19/16 9:32 am
RNY on 08/18/16

Good luck! I'm back home in my own bed now, I'm lucky in that I was able to urinate right away and pass gas after about 13 hours and my surgery was uncomplicated. It does seem quite common to stay an extra night though so don't freak out if you do. The roommate I started my stay with was just finishing her second night and the roommate *****placed her will be staying a second night as well as another bariatric surgery patient on the ward. 

DecimaXXI
on 8/22/16 2:08 pm
RNY on 09/21/16

Congratulations!  It sounds like you definitely had a long way to travel to get to your destination!  Thanks for taking the time to share your experience.  As I get closer to my own surgical date, I am starting to think increasingly about the post surgical experience. 

You mentioned that the Tylenol and Dilaudid weren't effective at first, were they able to manage your pain quickly?  I'm also scheduled for Dr Mamazza at The Civic on September 21 and I've been concerned and preoccupied with thoughts about pain management.  I'm on the super sensitive end of the spectrum.  For example, my hands feel a stinging burn when washing dishes with ho****er but other people have no problem handling water at that temperature.  I'm sure it will be fine but it is something I fret about at times. :)

I'm having my gallbladder removed during the surgery as well and suspect that I may be in the hospital for 2 days but that may not be the case. 

Cheers to you!! :)

HW - 307 (Dec 2002), SW - 249 (Aug 2016), RNY - TOH - Referral February 7, 2016, Orientation April 15, 2016, NUT April 29, Dr Exam May 20, NUT Education Class May 25, NUT June 6, NUT July 6, Meet Surgeon July 27, Surgery Dr Mamazza September 21, 2016.                                                         

Most Active
Recent Topics