I met the surgeon this morning via telehealth

Kathy1212
on 10/13/16 3:03 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here, and have been on this post op journey for well over a year.  I live in Northern Ontario, Canada, and traveled 3 and a half hours to Sudbury several times for the orientation, meetings with social workers, etc.  After all of the tests and medical OK's from various health professionals, I was able to meet with the surgeon, Dr. Lindsay from St. Joe's in Toronto, this morning.  He seems very nice and gave me the OK to move forward.  He said I'd be getting a call from his office in a few weeks time, to set up a meeting in Toronto for December, probably, and then surgery some time in January.  Toronto is a 9 hour drive from the Sault and I'm worried about doing it in winter but maybe we won't have a lot of snow this year.  Last year we didn't get a ton of snow until February so maybe this year will be the same. I was hoping the surgery wouldn't happen until spring but it will be nice to have it over and done with earlier so I can lose weight by summer.  I bought a bike this past summer and really enjoyed riding, even at my weight.  After surgery and weight loss, maybe I'll be able to go on a bike tour; it's one of my dreams.

Have a nice evening everyone!

Kathy

Alexsks
on 10/13/16 3:19 pm
RNY on 10/17/16

Awesome. Do what feels right to you. Hope for you that we have a mild winter.

alex

Kathy1212
on 10/13/16 4:19 pm

Thank you.

Kathy

(deactivated member)
on 10/13/16 3:50 pm - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

If you don't mind flying, Porter often has seat sales and Billy Bishop airport is only a $20 cab ride to St. Joe's.  

Kathy1212
on 10/13/16 4:19 pm

Thank you. I would definitely rather fly than drive; thanks for telling me about the cab ride.  I'll have to find a hotel close to St. Joe's.

Grammie62
on 10/13/16 6:52 pm
RNY on 11/15/16

Hi Kathy ,congratulations!  I live is Sudbury and am going to St. Joe's for my pre-op on October 24 and surgery with Dr. Sullivan. I will let you know about hotels as soon as I book one.

Deb

Referral Sept/15  Orientation Jan/16  File to DR. Aug/16  Met Dr. Sullivan Sept/16  Pre-op Oct/16  Surgery Nov.15/2016

HW300*  Opti Start 291     SW 271.4     GW160                                                          Believe you can and you are halfway there.

Kathy1212
on 10/14/16 8:46 am

Hi Deb,

Thanks!  I'd appreciate that.  I've been reading reviews and found the Howard Johnson, right next to St. Joe's, has really bad reviews, but a Super 8, a bit further out, has great reviews, and a good price.

My friend had to go to Toronto for surgery and she stayed at a hostel because it was so much cheaper, and she said it was a great experience for half the price.  I'm also considering Airbnb for the pre-surgery visit.

I have family in Mississauga but can't stay with them because they have a non-poodle dog and I am allergic to everything but poodles, lol.

Good luck with your pre surgery visit and please keep us updated. 

Kathy

Grammie62
on 10/14/16 9:17 am
RNY on 11/15/16

Hi Kathy,

I heard the same thing about the Howard Johnson and Super 8. I am planning on driving down early morning for my pre op so I don't need a hotel then but am looking for the 2 days I have to stay after surgery. I attended the 1st Annual Bariatric Event last night and it was great. Met pre op, post op and achieved their goals and it was inspirational. I'm 10 days out from my pre op and so excited to get the ball rolling. I'll let you know how it goes.

Deb 

Referral Sept/15  Orientation Jan/16  File to DR. Aug/16  Met Dr. Sullivan Sept/16  Pre-op Oct/16  Surgery Nov.15/2016

HW300*  Opti Start 291     SW 271.4     GW160                                                          Believe you can and you are halfway there.

Kathy1212
on 10/14/16 9:56 am

That's right; I forgot you're close enough to do a day trip to Toronto.  Nice!

The Bariatric Event sounds great!  I would have loved to go; it must have been wonderful to meet everyone.  I find it so inspirational to meet people who've had the surgery. 

10 days is so close; it will go by so quickly.  How exciting!

Kathy

Spenceymommy
on 10/14/16 8:54 am

With northern Ontario travel grants they will pay for your flight and $100 towards hotel accommodation.  If your family dr signs saying that you must travel with a companion they will pay for your support persons flight too. 

Most Active
Recent Topics