Scheduled Feb 8th - RNY

Wayne H.
on 12/27/16 10:45 am
RNY on 02/08/17

Hi All,

Couldn't find a specific place to say hello with my first post so I apologize if I landed in the wrong forum.  Being it's an Ontario forum I thought this was the place.  Mods feel free to move it if there is a "new Members" area. 

Was contacted by the Ottawa Hospital two weeks ago to Book Surgery. I am having it done by Dr Mamazza which several people on here seem to be happy with.   I think he is a great Doctor based on our discussions.  Very reassuring for sure.   I originally had Jan 18th, and Jan 26th offered but asked to push out until Feb 8th.  An earlier date would have left my work in a pickle, and well, it's Christmas so I need time to get back on track since cheating is a temptation to great at this time of year, although I do it in moderation so as not to blow my diet too badly.   Anyway, I'm set to start my Optifast Diet beginning Jan 18th.  I have already tried one that my cousin gave me, he also had the RNY done, and It's not to bad although I will likely feel differently after 3 weeks of it.  I will scour this forum looking for flavoring ideas and any food suggestions others are eating or trying.  

One question I have is about WHEY protein for after surgery.  I know I can pick it up from a place like Popeyes or Costco, the question is what is the popular choice in terms of taste/texture and is there any favorable pricing I can take advantage of?   How big a tub should I get for post surgery?

I have already ordered the Celebrate Essential Multi 2-in-1 so I'm good there.  I like the idea of just the single pill 4 times a day.  I have enough trouble with my current meds..so easier is better for me.

Anyway, I am sure I will have lots of questions as things progress, but as originally stated I just wanted to say hello.  So Hi!!!

Wayne from Ottawa.

Lovely_Caprice
on 12/27/16 12:18 pm

Good luck with your surgery.  I had mine done by Dr. Mamazza on 9 September 2016 and it was great success.  I'm almost at goal weight - need to only to loose 20 lbs more.  I am down 60 lbs.  As for protein at the early stage I stuck with only Premier Protein shares from Costco.  I wasted 50.00 buying Whey from Popeye.  It is disgusting and I threw it out.  Total waste of money.

FozzieBear
on 12/27/16 1:23 pm
RNY on 11/21/16

Congratulations on taking this step. I'm only 5 weeks post op myself but it's already proven to be an interesting journey. In regards to Optifast, everyone's tastes are different so it really will be up to you to find a way you enjoy it. Some people add sugar free syrups (Torani for example) or flavoured extracts but for me the best way was just straight up and cold, for my tastes that was far easier to drink than adding anything. But again that's up to you to figure out, I just don't enjoy the tastes of those syrups. 

I was using the Premier Protein ready to drink shakes from Costco for breakfast for months prior to surgery. The first two I tried post surgery didn't sit well at all but since week 3 I have been drinking them occasionally and this morning I had one slightly heated up in the microwave for breakfast, it was an nice alternative to hot chocolate. There is a convenience factor to the ready to drink ones and they are easy to have on hand when you go out and you're not sure what your eating options might be. Post surgery I have tried a few different powders from both GNC and Popeyes. At Popeyes I was able to sample the flavours prior to purchasing and at GNC they didn't allow samples but said I could return it if I didn't like the taste. I have enjoyed the berry flavours that both places offer and find them a nice change from chocolate and vanilla. I also got a small amount of protein powder at the Bulk Barn and might suggest you start with something like that or possibly order some sample sizes online so you're not committed to a large quantity of anything until you have your surgery and find out what your taste buds (and pouch) enjoy. 

I spent hours and hours prior to surgery reading page after page of information on this site and recommend you use the search function (if you haven't already) to look up any questions you might have. There is so much valuable information here from so many people at various stages of the process. Good luck with everything!!

Christine

RNY - Nov 21st 2016

HW 386 SW 309.8 CW 174.1

M1: 17 M2: 17.2 M3: 12.6 M4: 18.8 M5: 14.4 M6: 18.4 M7: 13.5 M8: 13.1 M9: 7.8

Christine

Wayne H.
on 12/28/16 5:48 am
RNY on 02/08/17

Thank you for the information folks. I will pick up some of the Premier Protein at Costco and as well check out the Bulk Barn before dropping $$ at the other supplement places.   

I have to admit, it's a little freaky thinking about eating only a cup/meal but I keep being reassured the surgery helps take care of that and of course discipline, or in my case, strong determination to stop hurting and struggling to fit into a little persons world is motivation enough. Not to mention the sore back, knees, heavy breathing, diabetes etc... and knowledge that diets never work for me.

Cheers

Wayne

leeann73
on 12/28/16 11:22 am

best of luck Wayne!  keep posting so we can follow your success!

Kathy1212
on 12/28/16 11:50 am

Hi Wayne,

Congratulations on your surgery date!  I'm having my surgery just a week before you, on Feb. 1st.

I don't know what the best protein will be, but I found a Canadian place that sells protein powder in lots of different flavors online. It's called CanadianProtein dot com (don't know if we're allowed to post actual links or not).  I ordered several sample packages, in a variety of flavors.  I haven't tried them yet because I figure it won't matter if I like them now as my tastes will probably change after surgery, but they were delivered within 2 days, free of charge, which I found amazing as Canadian places rarely offer free delivery.  I'm also going to pick up some Premier Protein at Costco in Toronto when I go down for my presurgery appt. in Jan, if I get the chance.  If not, I'll try the GNC ready made proteins as we have a GNC in town, but no Costco.

Take care,

Kathy

northernga1
on 12/28/16 5:03 pm - Elliot Lake, Canada
On December 28, 2016 at 7:50 PM Pacific Time, Kathy1212 wrote:

Hi Wayne,

Congratulations on your surgery date!  I'm having my surgery just a week before you, on Feb. 1st.

I don't know what the best protein will be, but I found a Canadian place that sells protein powder in lots of different flavors online. It's called CanadianProtein dot com (don't know if we're allowed to post actual links or not).  I ordered several sample packages, in a variety of flavors.  I haven't tried them yet because I figure it won't matter if I like them now as my tastes will probably change after surgery, but they were delivered within 2 days, free of charge, which I found amazing as Canadian places rarely offer free delivery.  I'm also going to pick up some Premier Protein at Costco in Toronto when I go down for my presurgery appt. in Jan, if I get the chance.  If not, I'll try the GNC ready made proteins as we have a GNC in town, but no Costco.

Take care,

Kathy

http://www.canadianprotein.com/100-whey-protein-isolate-2lbs.html

Referral Feb 14 2014; Orientation July 30 2014; 1 on 1's Feb 17, 2015; Pre op May 27 2015; Surgery date June 16, 2015

Jo0710
on 12/28/16 1:49 pm

Congrats! I have mine Jan 16th! 

I have found I really like the chocolate mutant brand of whey is the best.  I really enjoy it. 

Good luck!! :) 

blueherring
on 12/28/16 5:52 pm
RNY on 12/23/16

Hi Wayne

I just had my surgery at the Civic last Friday. I was treated very well there and was most impressed by how they managed any pain I had. I literally have not experienced much pain at all. If I could give any advice, it would be to stick to that Optifast diet. I read that it also reduces the amount of post surgery pain. Worked in my case anyway :)

Best of luck!

Referral to Ottawa Civic Hospital in March 2016, surgery on Dec 23 with Dr Neville,

Loss so far M1=21, M2=10, M3=8, M4=8, M5=7, M6=6, M7=5

Wayne H.
on 12/28/16 6:54 pm
RNY on 02/08/17

Congratulations to you as well.   Thanks for the advice and for all those also responding.  Nice to know there is a support group available.  

Most Active
Recent Topics