Is there a weight limit?

Manda32
on 1/19/17 1:19 pm

As, I'm approaching the surgical phase of this process, my brother is in the early process of starting this journey. He had his orientation last August, but had to quit smoking which I'm happy to say he did! He has his NP appointment in March. He is going through Windsor like I am.

My question is, my brother is just over 500 lbs, would he be expected to lose more weight than the 'average' person going through this journey? For anyone who has been around this weight or if you know of someone whose been this weight and gone through this process, I am curious if there is any different expectations.

Any insight to this would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!!

JosMcFadden
on 1/19/17 3:07 pm - Oshawa, Canada

Congrats to you!!!! 

I am 5"2 and was 479lbs, when I had surgery!!! I went through Toronto Western, and they never told me that I HAD to lose weight, but encouraged that I do. Because of my weight, along with some other health issues such as ulcers in my small intestine, and a possibility for Crohn's disease they decided that it was best that I get the VSG (Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy). But ultimately the main reason that I found out later was because of my weight.. they typically don't like to perform the RNY on people who I have a higher BMI than 65.. mine was 89!!! So I had surgery July 20, 2015, since I have lost 169lbs, went from a 7X pant to a 3X and from a 5X shirt to a 2X and have lost over 164 inches from head to toe (stop counting lol) I still over 300lbs so now I am going for a revision to RNY on Feb 23 .. so in 24 days!!! My BMI now is 56! I had the VSG to save my life, cause honestly if I didn't I would be dead, I was scared the through the entire process that I would die before I got the chance to finally get my life back! I am 28 years old, too young to die!! Now this is my second chance at life, to live, to get to a healthy BMI.

You will have to ask your brother if he is okay to have the VSG than the RNY!!! Every Bariatric program is completely different!! They will decide what is best for him!!! Keep me posted!

Manda32
on 1/19/17 6:58 pm

Thank you for sharing your experience, that was very informative.

It's not that I am worrying that he'd be turned down per say, I just wondered because of his size would they expect him to lose more weight for the safety of surgery. And if I can get real, isn't that why we are all here, for help. Guess, more worried that they would expect him to lose a lot of weight on his own, which he's never been successful at, and that might discourage him. Glad to hear that appears not to be the case. That will relieve him for sure.

I know my brother would prefer the VSG over the RNY, but I know he'd do either surgery. He might be a bit biased on the VSG, because I'm so gung ho on it for myself (which I've been recommended to have it), and he's getting a lot of the information from me, but I'm sure at the end the doctors will review his medical history and decide for the best.

I also want to say congrats to you and your weight loss journey so far! That's a lot of weight you've lost!!!! Great job!

Since more people on this forum have the RNY, and I'm likely getting the VSG can I ask you how your experience has been thus far? Did you lose any hair? Does food get stuck like it can in people who have the RNY?  So, much of all the information out there is primarily on the RNY, so as much as I've researched this, some of the smaller details seem uncertain for me.

Good luck to you on the 23rd of Feb!!!! And again thank you for your thoughftul and informative reply.

Thanks.

JosMcFadden
on 1/19/17 9:30 pm - Oshawa, Canada

It depends on the person, He most likely will have to do 4-5 weeks of Optifast to lose weight, if it comes down to that they want him to lose weight before surgery.. he might have to go on opti for a period of time before they consider him for surgery!! If not, if they just want him to try losing weight on his own, they will most likely give him a diet that he can follow and do a food log!! This was my last resort, as for many, we are are all for the same reason.. diets don't work!!! 

Thank you, I have worked hard, and it shows!!! It will soon be your turn, and then your brothers!!! My brother had VSG in 2010, he went to the states, OHIP payed because there weren't a lot of clinics around at the time, and a LONG waiting list... years!! He also was also just over 500 lbs, and lost over 200lbs.. He looks great!!! 

I made a typo, I am having surgery Feb 13th not 23rd lol ooops!!!

The hospital that I am with treat VSG and RNY the exact same. Same amount of food intake, vitamins etc no NSAIDS!! I did have hair loss, but anyone who drops a lot of weight in a short amount of time has hair loss. I don't have bald spots or anything, my hair is just a lot thinner now, but then again as my fiance would say "you had a mane of hair, and now you have normal hair!!!" I just that when I get my RNY it all doesn't fall out!! Food does not get stuck, but I do experience, one of the lucky ones my surgeon says.. people with the Sleeve rarely experience dumping!! Sleeve is an actual stomach, with stomach lining and acid! No malabsorption with the Sleeve. The Sleeve is very common in the states, they rarely do RNY, and complete opposite for Canadians. Try going into the VSG forum on this forum for more info.

If you want you can send me a private message!!! 

Here is a before and after photo of me!!!

Insert Fitness
on 1/20/17 3:55 am

This is awesome! You're doing great! 

RNY Sept 8, 2016

M1:23, M2 :18, M3 :11, M4 :19, M5: 13, M6: 12, M7: 17, M8: 11, M9: 11.5, M10: 13, M11: 10, M12: 10 M13 : 7.6, M14: 6.9, M15: 6.7

Instagram:InsertFitness

(deactivated member)
on 1/19/17 11:25 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

Reading this made me feel really hopeful. I was just sleeved on the 12th and you and I seem to be really close, except in height! (I'm 5'8) I have been really anxious over the weight I will lose and how I will feel. I have terrible anxiety so I am constantly wondering if I made the right choice, or if this will all fall though! Reading your reply gave me a lot of hope though and you are beautiful! I'm 27 and have lived my life afraid of the world, I want to get out in it now!

Insert Fitness
on 1/20/17 4:01 am

Congrats on your surgery! Just wanted to let you know, anxiety or not, most of us second guess ourselves about our decision at some point. We've had so many failed attempts at losing, the thought of going through major surgery and failing is scary.

But, you can take comfort that the evidence and science is on our side this time. The success rate for wls is much, much higher than for traditional diet and exercise only plans.

Follow your clinic's plan, and you will lose weight. 

Good luck!

RNY Sept 8, 2016

M1:23, M2 :18, M3 :11, M4 :19, M5: 13, M6: 12, M7: 17, M8: 11, M9: 11.5, M10: 13, M11: 10, M12: 10 M13 : 7.6, M14: 6.9, M15: 6.7

Instagram:InsertFitness

JosMcFadden
on 1/20/17 2:45 pm - Oshawa, Canada

Girl, you did make the RIGHT choice!!! I know a lot of people with anxiety who have surgery, RNY and wish that they would have gotten the VSG instead!!! Just be sure to take every advantage, cause honestly losing the first 100lbs (I lost 100lbs in 4 months!!) was easier compared to the rest!!! Just remember it's okay to stall, you will lose more, it's just our bodies trying to adjust to the dramatic change. Take advantage of the first year, you will still lose after that but it will come off a lot slower. Thank you!!! I now a soooo completely comfortable in my skin (even though now is all loose skin, but still, I rather have all the loose skin than be as obese as I was) It will come, the confidence, you will be able to take over the world soon! Send me a private message, or add me on Facebook, we Sleeve people need to stick together. If you don't feel comfortable with adding me, we can continue to talk on here! 

(deactivated member)
on 1/19/17 4:20 pm - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

I know of a man that was closer to 600 lbs and he just had to do like 5 or 6 weeks of Optifast instead of the usual 2 or 3 and he ended up with a RNY. I've seen a few others like the poster above that started with VSG first then they will revise to RNY later if needed.  Some have not needed the 2nd surgery and some have.  I don't think he would be turned down for surgery but his options might be a bit different than someone who was not as heavy. 

Manda32
on 1/19/17 7:02 pm

Thanks for the info.

I wondered about him doing opti longer as well. Thanks for the insight.

Most Active
Recent Topics