Sick but OK for surgery

Kathy1212
on 1/23/17 6:07 pm

Hi guys,

I've been sick for the past few days, coughing sneezing, etc., which triggered my asthma.  I woke up with that sharp asthma cough and wheeze all through the night.  This morning I called the Group Health Center, where my doctor is located, as soon as they opened. The have this awful set up where all phone calls for all doctors get routed through 2 secretaries, who then connect you to the doctor's office. There is no way to call your doctor directly, and there are lots of doctors.  I was on hold for almost 2 hours only to find out my doctor couldn't fit me in and the same day clinic was also filled.  They told me to go to the hospital, and not to eat or drink anything.

I was there from 11 AM until 8 PM. I had such a bad coughing fit while there that I pulled a muscle in my abdomen and OMG, the pain was sudden and severe.  I couldn't sit down for over an hour without triggering the abdominal pain and was so light headed from the coughing fits they let me use a wheel chair as a walker.  That has never happened to me before and I've had much worse coughs than this one.

The whole ordeal was worth it, because I was told I do not have pneumonia or bronchitis (they thought I did at first and I just about cried when they told me that).  They gave me chest xrays, bloodwork, and EKG, and all the tests came back fine.  I had no fever.  Just the asthma cough and wheezing, triggered by a simple cold!  Which, the doctor said, should get better in time for my surgery provided I get a lot of rest, drink lots of fluids, etc.

I was so thrilled.  I mentioned I would LOVE to be drinking something as I wasn't allowed anything to drink all day, so I was given a little cup with ice and water at 7 PM. It was wonderful.

I am so relieved and pleased to find out I don't have the respiratory virus that my Dad has, as that lasts for over a month, he was told.  It's just a cold!  And asthma, but the asthma will get back under control as soon as the cold does.

I'm just thrilled. I was devastated to think I might have to cancel or postpone surgery.

One of the nurses was so happy for me that I was having surgery.  She told me her husband had it, and went from a little over 500 Ibs to 220 Ibs, which she said is a good weight for him. She said he had no life before and now he is a chef.

Then another nurse heard us talking and told me most people who have gastric bypass gain back all the weight.  I told her I won't, and she said I probably will or I would have been able to lose the weight "on my own".  When she left the first nurse told me to just ignore her; she's a big grouch to everyone.

I am so relieved!  I just finished my first Optifast shake of the day, and am having some clear chicken broth now.  I feel much better now that I've had something.

Thanks for listening.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Tracks
on 1/23/17 6:30 pm - Halton Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/25/17

So glad to hear your surgery is going ahead!

dont listen to that other nurse!

HW: 335 SW: 310 CW: 287

MC_Akeson
on 1/23/17 8:20 pm - Ontario, Canada

Happy that things will get better for you. Don't want to loose my WLS buddy  I have asthma too and also ended up at the dr. office last week as I thought too I got the bronchitis my husband got the week before. Took antibiotics just to make sure that things don't get worse before the big day. Looking back, I don't think I got a bug but I think it's the high amount of dairy from the Optifast that is creating more mucus in my airways and triggering my asthma. I usually stay away from dairy, too much and I start having major cramps (but none so far with Optifast, phew). 

RNY: Jan. 31, 2017, Ottawa Civic with Dr. Amy Neville

5' 2"; HW (@ start of Optifast): 267 & 45.5% BF; SW: 247

Kathy1212
on 1/24/17 6:52 am

Thank you! 

I'm so glad you're OK too!  I never really thought about the dairy but you're right; I usually avoid it too because of the mucus production it causes.  So glad you aren't getting cramps.

This may be TMI, but do you find Opti makes you burp like crazy?  I never had this issue, ever, no matter what I ate and now I just burp all day long.  Even yesterday, when I had absolutely nothing in my stomach from 7 AM until 7 PM (when I was allowed a small cup of ice water). It drives me crazy. 

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

Kathy  

MC_Akeson
on 1/25/17 5:49 pm - Ontario, Canada

I don't have any burping issues while on Optifast. Only happened one morning in my first week and I think it was because I was really hungry (happened to me before but been a while). 

RNY: Jan. 31, 2017, Ottawa Civic with Dr. Amy Neville

5' 2"; HW (@ start of Optifast): 267 & 45.5% BF; SW: 247

MonaLisaSmile
on 1/23/17 8:47 pm - Canada

That nurse is an idiot!!!  

SW- 260    GW- 150    CW -138    Height - 5'5      RNY- St Josephs Hamilton July 17/2015  

Kathy1212
on 1/24/17 6:54 am

Yeah, talk about a jerk.  I was in pain, having coughing fits, and she basically kicked me while I was down.  I guess she's like that with everyone though.

Kathy  

skinny_gigi
on 1/23/17 9:14 pm

Wow you're a trooper! That sounds like a crazy day but you sound more positive than ever!  As they saying goes "haters gonna hate".  Keep your chin up and your eye on the prize!  Get ready for the losers bench!

RNY March 1, 2017 with Dr. Reed.

Kathy1212
on 1/24/17 6:55 am

Thank you! 

Kathy  

leeann73
on 1/24/17 2:37 am

Glad it is under control and you can still have your surgery - that 2nd nurse was a real arse ... you will show her how successful you will be ... :)

Most Active
Recent Topics