Regret having WLS? Pre-op doubts?

kamac
on 1/26/17 1:28 pm
VSG on 07/09/18

I met someone IRL today and we were chatting, and coincidentally it turned out this person had WLS a couple of years ago. This person said they regretted having RYN- that they were still "big" after an initial 80 lbs weight loss, that they didn't enjoy eating anything anymore (and were baffled that their weight-loss had stalled even though they didn't eat much), and most of all this person felt their immune system had suffered from the vitamin malabsorption, that they were now prone to getting sick all the time, and they had trouble with an iron deficiency.

I didn't mention anything about my own plans for WLS (I'm in the early stages) but this person said they regret the surgery and they wouldn't recommend it to anyone else.

And that got my anxiety going!

I didn't feel comfortable asking this person if they took their vitamins & supplements religiously, if they exercised regularly, ate a healthy, protein & vegetable-based diet, or anything like that. I know that we can't just rely on the surgery alone as a "quick-fix"- we still need to do all the work in order to get to a healthy weight and to be healthy, period.

But I'm starting to get nervous that maybe I won't lose the weight I want to even if I do all the work. And, I'm anxious about whether I can do all the work- I've been making a lot of positive changes, but I'm still struggling with certain foods like pizza (~MY NEMESIS~) and I'm not doing a very good job of getting my butt on the treadmill consistently. I don't want to screw this chance up and what if I end up regret having WLS too?

Argg, I'm venting and rambling. I know I can't let one person's experience throw me off, but I'm an anxious self-doubter type. And I'd probably feel less anxious if I exercised more regularly...

Kara
Highest Weight: 420; Opti Starting Weight: 395; Surgery Weight: 371;
Current Weight: 322.1; Goal Weight: 160

"Find things beautiful as much as you can, most people find too little beautiful."
-Vincent Van Gogh

roxytrim
on 1/26/17 2:39 pm - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

This is all part of your personal journey.  The choices are all yours and so is your future.  WLS is not without risk & changes both positive and negative.  Only you can make the decision if the road you are presently on is where you want to continue your journey.

Monica9811
on 1/26/17 3:17 pm - Peterborough, Canada

I DONT REGRET IT FOR ONE SECOND!  I had my surgery 4 years ago. I've maintained a 110lb weight loss. No complications except iron deficiency which was caused by excessive period bleeding.  I had an ablation last year and no more periods or issues. I still can enjoy foods now but it might just be a bite or two. I do eat pizza on occasion but thin crust and no crust. I didn't touch bread or pasta or sweets for the first year. I order wraps and eat the guts. If someone orders fries I steal two!  Eating in the first few months is definitely a chore. Even first year but it gets easier. Never lose sight of what you are doing and why you want this so badly. To give you an idea of what I ate today. Source Greek yogurt with 1/4 c of protein cereal and turkey pepperette. Lunch was a small Greek salad with chicken. Dinner is steak fajitas and I will have one shell then just eat guts. In the beginning I did protein shakes for first year for breakfast. I make protein my first priority. Follow the guidelines. Take your vitamins you will do just fine!!

MonaLisaSmile
on 1/26/17 4:58 pm - Canada

Nope...no regrets ...I'm living again!!.

There are many many variables that determine a person's sucess in this process,....it's nearly impossible to compare any 2 people as everyone is soooo different.

It's all about choices and keeping on track for life.  Its very hard as time goes on, and maintaining the loss takes a huge commitment that most people will  struggle with to some degree for the rest of their lives.

Just know it's a "tool"  that will assist you in getting a large amt of weight off quickly if you follow the rules. This allows you to improve health,  feel better,  look better, move easier, and hopefully teaches you in the first year portions and  how to eat properly.   It will in no way keep you thin after you have lost the weight.....it's all about you.  Many of us have little to no ill affects from eating sugary/fatty/carbie foods....so in my case I ABSOLUTELY " COULD " EAT whatever I want....whenever I want.  

See it ....believe it.....achieve it!!!

You ARE capable of anything to set your mind to.  You have to WANT IT and BELIEVE YOU CAN and that you are WORTH IT.  Don't let anyone else's negativity dampen your spirit and don't let fear limit your dreams !!!!  

SW- 260    GW- 150    CW -138    Height - 5'5      RNY- St Josephs Hamilton July 17/2015  

crqvingchange
on 1/27/17 11:11 am

Wonderful post my surgery twin.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

100Buttons
on 1/26/17 10:57 pm
RNY on 03/03/17

I have read all the statistics and know very well that this is not a risk free surgery.  There is a whole host of issues that can result, medical, mental, addictions, even loss of relationships.  If I am being honest, I feel like it's a gamble.  The odds are for success, and I am just hoping I land on the winning side of the board.  I am sure anxieties for landing on the Wong side will intensify as I get closer.  Not everyone gets the happy ending here and it blows.

Leslie W.
on 1/27/17 4:41 am - Cobourg, Canada

WLS is not easy. I takes a lot of hard work. That being said I am over 5 year post. No regrets. I tracked everything tht went  into my  mouth. Lost about 160 pounds. Had about a 10 pound regain from my lowest but I was too small. Had some complications after plastics so lost too much. I have been lucky food wise. Can eat just about anything. I do enjoy pizza now and again.

Haven't had a cold in years. I do have problems with low iron but and infusion takes care of that. If it means I need one every few months I'll take it. Just finishing with plastics. Love the new me and would do it all again. Without WLS I would have a whole group of health issues and mobility problems. I don't hurt anymore!

I found myself a few great WLS buddies and we supported each other. Found a great support group and a new social group with them.

There is lots of support out there. Someone who only lost 80 lbs sounds like they gave up.

I'm not  tread mill person either. I joined Good life and took some of their classes. Now I walk with my dog.

Sounds like you are making some great changes already.

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
crqvingchange
on 1/27/17 11:15 am

No regrets, I got my life, health, strength and vibrancy back.  I never want to go back to where I was before.  Now I live in terms of possibilities, not limitations.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

Diminishing Dawn
on 1/27/17 9:33 pm - Windsor, Canada

it sounds like you have a healthy attitude and a fairly good understanding of the long term challenges of surgery. I had my RNY into thousand six and I have no regrets. Is it easy? No keeping off the weight is a challenge.  It is worth it? Totally. Surgery and lifelong success require a high degree of personal responsibility, accountability and changes in our lifestyle and diet.

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

IamBettyCooper
on 1/29/17 10:04 pm

WLS is a tool, not a magic cure. You have to do the mental and physical work.  

Zero regrets. Feel better, and getting my health into a better place is well worth the lifestyle changes I have had to make.

TWH ... Referral April 2015 ... Orientation July 2015 ... Psych Sept 2015 ... Social Worker Oct 2015 ... Nurse Practitioner Dec 2015 ... Nutrition Class Jan 2016 ... Nutritionist Feb 2016 ... Surgeon Appt April 2016 ... VGS Surgery July 2016

HW 294.2 SW 271 CW 183.1

Most Active
Recent Topics