Dietitian appointment: advice please!

GeorgianBay_Girl
on 2/2/17 5:56 pm, edited 2/2/17 6:00 pm

I have my final appointment next week for my last step! I'm really nervous about meeting with the Dietitian; what level of detail are they looking for? I know each diet phase following surgery and what I can/can't  eat; but do they want us to be able to recite portion sizes as well ie: "week 3 I will eat 2-4tbsp of purée soup with 1-2 crackers and 1/2 cup of protein drink? Thanks!

GeorgianBay_Girl
on 2/2/17 5:58 pm

I also meet with the nurse and social worker as well so any advice is welcome!

Referral date: May 19, 2016 | Info session: July 12, 2016 | Surgeon Approval: December 2, 2016 | Pre Op: January 24, 2017 | Trio: February 9, 2017 | Surgery Date: March 3, 2017, Humber River Regional Hospital

Starting Weight: 253 | Post-Optifast Weight/day of surgery: 237 | Current Weight: 123.2

crqvingchange
on 2/2/17 6:09 pm

Just tell them you have studied the guide that they gave you, and you will refer to it often.  Tell them you've got your head in the game and will be following their advice to make the most of your new tool.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

Wayne H.
on 2/3/17 7:38 am
RNY on 02/08/17

Maybe it's different here in Ottawa but When I met my Dietitian, I was told prior to it in the 2nd Pre Op class that they would be hoping to see some Food Journals to ensure I was eating enough Protein per day and mixing in enough Vegs and Carbs.  

Based on the first visit, I was asked to add more Protein to my diet which meant I had a second appt 1 month later scheduled to followup. It was that appointment where my changes were signed off on and I was approved to move forward to "Meet the Doctor" two weeks later.

Remember, it's not a race, slow and steady is the way to go. 

GeorgianBay_Girl
on 2/3/17 9:24 am
GeorgianBay_Girl
on 2/3/17 9:29 am

Thank you all for your responses!

It seems as though the sequence of appointments is different depending on where you are having your surgery as I have already met with and been approved by the surgeon and internist, so should I 'pass' on Thursday I will be given my surgery date

What I'm wondering about is I guess the questions the dietitian will be asking, how much about the diet following surgery will I need to know ie: specific amounts of food etc

Will let everyone know how it goes!

Referral date: May 19, 2016 | Info session: July 12, 2016 | Surgeon Approval: December 2, 2016 | Pre Op: January 24, 2017 | Trio: February 9, 2017 | Surgery Date: March 3, 2017, Humber River Regional Hospital

Starting Weight: 253 | Post-Optifast Weight/day of surgery: 237 | Current Weight: 123.2

Most Active
Recent Topics