Surgery in 1 week.. So many ups and downs!

kyena
on 2/9/17 9:11 am
RNY on 02/16/17

Good morning!

My surgery is scheduled for Feb. 16th! One week away!

I've really started planning... Everything from buying all supplements (multi/B12/Calcium/children's Tylenol), to cleaning out my fridge, and cleaning my house (top to bottom.. baseboards to ceilings!) in preparation for a smooth recovery. I don't think my house has ever been this clean. 

I have boxes ready in my bedroom to start sorting clothes. I have my post-op care plan all organized (staying in Ottawa with boyfriend, people to look after my cat). My leave away from work is all set up and approved.

I have been on Opti for 12 days. It has been really challenging. My scale is all over the place... My SW was 307, my scale was at 298 after the first week, but now it is up to 312. Last night it was at 315! I have no idea what is happening. I'm trying not to let it stress me out, as I realize it could be water retention or the dreaded PMS (yes, I'm due the day after surgery - what joy!! LOL). My big fear is they will weigh me before surgery and say NO, DENIED! 

Overall.. a lot of ups and downs. Starting to have trouble sleeping at night a bit, thinking about what more I have to do before surgery, worrying about complications, excited about being in recovery, worrying about my weight on Opti... etc. 

Hoping I will keep it together for 7 more days! 

2015: Jan. 16, Info session - Apr. 20, Initial Assessment - Jun. 4, Abdominal ultrasound - Jun. 26, Endoscopy - Aug. 4, Dietitian and Behaviourist - Aug. 23, Endoscopy #2 2016: Jul. 11, Pre-surgery 1 class - Oct. 24, Second Assessment - Dec. 7, Dietitian and Behaviourist 2017: Jan. 10, Pre-surgery 2 class - Jan. 17, Meet the surgeon - Jan. 28, Start Opti - Feb 16, Surgery! (Dr. Neville, Ottawa Civic)

5'11 -- HW: 318 (sz 24/3x ; BMI 44.4), Start Opti: 307 (sz 22/2x; BMI 42.8), Pre-RNY: 292

Since Opti: -81, Since RNY: -66

M1 -14 (sz 22/2x; BMI 38.8), M2 -14 (sz 20/XXL; BMI 36.8), M3 -12 (sz 18-20/XXL; BMI 35.1), M4 -11 (sz 18/XXL-XL; BMI 33.3), M5 -9 (sz 18/XL; BMI 32.5), M6 -6 (sz 16/L-XL; BMI 31.5)

roxytrim
on 2/9/17 9:40 am, edited 2/9/17 1:40 am - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

#1hide your scale for the next 4-6 weeks.  You are going to loose weight no matter what you do so take that distraction off the table.  Concentrate on how you are feeling, what you are going to do with your recovery time, etc. Do take your body measurements, neck, waist, etc. and if you really need to have some weight measurement, use these.  

This time just before surgery is like when you are approaching the top of a really big hill on a rollercoster, exciting, thrilling & scary all at the same time.  Try to relax, maybe consider some yoga.

leeann73
on 2/9/17 1:53 pm

Wow. Great job on getting organized. You have given me a lot to think about. If the scale is messing you up just put it away. You only have control of making sure to get your opti and water in, the rest is out of your hands so throw it away. You only need positive around you. You've got this. One more week. Woot woot. 

referral: early June 2016; surgery Feb 21, 2017

MonaLisaSmile
on 2/9/17 4:56 pm - Canada

I'm not sure whats up with that scale of yours...that seems strange.  Just keep following your instructions and everything will be fine.  The road ahead is filled with scale mysteries.....no need to panic.  This week will fly by!!!!

SW- 260    GW- 150    CW -138    Height - 5'5      RNY- St Josephs Hamilton July 17/2015  

MC_Akeson
on 2/10/17 9:50 am - Ontario, Canada

You are on the right track! 

Don't worry about the scale at this time. They never asked me, neither Dr. Neville, about my weight just before surgery although I had my pre-op only 5 days prior where they weighed me. Remember that the Opti is to shrink your liver so it's too much in the way when they have to go under it to create your new pouch. If you loose weight with it, that's a bonus. They will not turn you away. And as you said, it's most likely water retention. Sometimes the body does tricky things when we are nervous or anxious and on the go. 

RNY: Jan. 31, 2017, Ottawa Civic with Dr. Amy Neville

5' 2"; HW (@ start of Optifast): 267 & 45.5% BF; SW: 247

Most Active
Recent Topics