Day 2 post op.

Wayne H.
on 2/10/17 9:21 am, edited 2/10/17 9:25 am
RNY on 02/08/17

Was asked the question but thought I would post on the main forum since my predecessors did the same, I found it really helped me prepare for the days after surgery. Just remember our bodies all act differently.

For me straight out of surgery I felt fine. I was up and walking the corridors 20 min after being moved out of recovery where I had to wait 4 hours because of my sleep apnea.  I had no nausea, thank god and no dizziness.  Surgery was about 1hour 40 min. 

Day 2 home.

I woke up took my meds and mixed a protein shake using 300ml of skim milk.  Yesterday I used too much water and it was horrible. Today it was ok but next one I will try 200ml. That gives me 35g Protein.  I also took my meds and pain killers and 1 vitamin.  I am using the Celebrate Essential 2 in 1.  Your take 4 of those daily which is easy and the mango flavor is tasty. I don't mind the texture at all, sort of like the rocket candy at Halloween. Pain is being managed at this time and getting better since yesterday.

You need to buy a pill crusher. Shoppers Drug Mart and Walmart carry a 3 in one for about 9 bucks that spilts, crushes and stores some pills.  Works fine.

Walmart also carries a plastic shaker cup for about 4 bucks. It works fantastic with optifast and now the Whey Protein mix. I highly recommend it. I bought two, one for work the other for home.

I finally passed some gas this morning and overnight which provided much relief..no BMs yet. If not by tomorrow I was told to take some milk of magnesea.

I woke up and had 1 decaf coffee with one sweetner and a splash of skim milk. I also had the 300ml shake mentioned already.

Snack was half a premier Protein shake whi*****ould not finish night before and some water.

I then went for small walk to our mailbox. Its about 10 min round trip. I felt fine.

Lunch which is now is my pain meds and Metformin (all crushed) . I am lucky, i can tolerate all by just dumping in my mouth and washing it down with a sip of something, usually water.  I will also mix another Whey Protien shake with 200ml of skim milk and dilute some apple juice with water. 

For afternoon snack i will enjoy some Beef Broth. Not ready for the jello yet, maybe tomorrow.

Rest of the day and the days to come will be pretty much the same. It seems line I am drinking alot but I don't feel anything different and other than lots of belly noises (talking to me) which I hope means all is good.  I have no idea if I am dumping since I don't believe I have experienced one yet. 

Just sip slow and steady.

Hope this helps someone out. 

Cheers

Linda B.
on 2/10/17 11:17 am

Great to hear your doing so well... My date is Feb 15th and do appreciate your post. 

Just wondering where did you purchase Celebrate Essential 2 in 1.  

Wayne H.
on 2/10/17 1:17 pm, edited 2/10/17 5:18 am
RNY on 02/08/17

Hi Linda,

I purchased the Celebrate Vitamins online direct from the supplier.  They were around $76 USD for 3 bottles which is a 3 month supply. Then it cost me an additional $35 US for shipping. They used Fedex Overnight. 

Note: If you order $200 worth, they ship free to Canada which is not a bad price.  I just learned from another poster on this forum that the Pharmacy at the Ottawa Civic Hospital sell them now as well for $50 bottle.  If I do the math, its still cheaper to order direct but you need to order about 9 month supply at a time unless you can pick up in the US, then its free shipping on a $100 Order. 

Hope that helps.

Kathy1212
on 2/10/17 1:30 pm

You are doing absolutely great!

Today is the first day where my pain is no longer brutal; just discomfort now. 

I've been using premier protein as my main source of protein.  I have all 5 flavors and like them all, especially when they are really cold.

I also need my water ice cold or it doesn't go down. 

I am 10 days post op and tried a tiny 30 ml cup of vegetable juice and it went down well, thank Goodness.  I'm also good with clear broths but want to try some cream soup later today, if I can.  I had an espresso cup of jello yesterday and it took me all day to slowly nibble at it, lol.

I had a shower and washed my hair and was able to do it without pain for the first time (my other showers were awful).  We have about 5 feet of snow or more and a white out right now, so walking outside is out of the question.  I've just been walking around the house from room to room, lol.  It's supposed to stop snowing and blowing on Monday so I'm hoping to get to the mall for a walk.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Wayne H.
on 2/10/17 5:16 pm, edited 2/10/17 9:17 am
RNY on 02/08/17

Good stuff Kathy.  I put my Premier Protein in a small tupperware container with ice to keep it cold while sipping on one.  I managed to drink a full one tonight, took me about 50 min to sip it back.  Ice for all drinks except decaf in the morning. 

Had a BM tonight as well.  Hehehe. 

Kathy1212
on 2/11/17 3:59 am

That's great!  It takes me about 4 or 5 hours to get through 1 shake.  I pour it into a little espresso cup and put the rest of the shake in between the windows, so it's between the window and the screen, and the snowy weather keeps it icy cold, but within reach, lol.

I've had to stay up late in order to get my water in, and it's a real struggle. 

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

SandiC66
on 2/11/17 8:26 am - Smithville, Canada
RNY on 06/12/17

Thanks for all this info, it helps me feel more prepared. I don't have a surgery date yet my next appt is with the social worker on the 14th. I figure the more prepared I am the easier it will be for everyone around me.

Initial Visit-01/17/2017, intern-01/25/2017, SW-02/14/2017, NUT-03/22/2017, all testing done, HW- 328.2...CW 318....Waiting

Wayne H.
on 2/11/17 9:50 am
RNY on 02/08/17

Just paying it forward as did the folks I learned from. 

leeann73
on 2/11/17 11:39 am

This is very helpful. Thanks. I have a hubby and two boys at home so knowing what the days after look like is good for me to prepare.  I took 2 work days off before the surgery so I can get the house in order. So scary really but I am ready. I love reading these Wayne and Kathy so please keep posting. 

referral: early June 2016; surgery Feb 21, 2017

sneezy6145
on 2/11/17 6:10 pm

It's wonderful that you are doing so well...keep it up!! 

They say after surgery you can't tolerate cold or hot drinks and I have been the opposite. Since surgery I can't stand anything that isn't ice cold. I have used more ice in the past 7 months than I have the past 45 years of my life...lol.

Most Active
Recent Topics