End of Day 3 Post Op - a good day

Wayne H.
on 2/11/17 9:23 pm
RNY on 02/08/17

Hi all, today was a good day in terms of tooting and a couple of almost undetectable BMs. Lol. By that I mean very small but hey..its progress. I went to Cabella's Ottawa for my day walk today and then walked the block this evening with my Wife and our dog. I find I have energy to burn now so its good since the Doctors want.us all walking right away anyway.

I continue to improve with liquid intake, i can sip back the protein shakes and water/apple Juice no problem. In fact I wonder if I am drinking too much. All I can remember hearing during pre-surg classes was "if you can tolerate it, then its ok".  I Sip, wait,sip..but never feel full or in pain. That said, my belly is talking to me all day long. Its just fluids and gas perculating around inside. At least I hope so. If it's the sound of dumping then I am over drinking however I would expect to feel sick...I don't. 

Last night I decided to try about 15ml of Humus. Yum, no issue. When I say 15 ml, I took a 30ml medicine cup and just filled it halfway.  I nursed that for about 15 min as recommended at this point.  I felt like I could eat more but I will stay the course and just take baby steps and stick to the shakes for my main source of protein at this stage. 

Today I mixed some Salmon with Miricle Whip (light) , filled a small cup with about 15ml and was able to eat it without a problem. Make sure to whip it to avoid chunks.  Again I could have had more but I know to take things slow to ensure healing.

For an after dinner snack I had about 1/3rd of a cup of orange SF jello. I stopped myself at that point. The Clinic info I have suggests 1/2 cup for stage 2-3 but I was content to stop when I did.

Yesterday I managed 115g of Protien and today I managed 100g.  I use the Whey Isolate Powder twice a day and mix it with 200ml skim milk for 35g per serving and then have a Premier Protein for lunch which adds another 30g.  

Took all my Pain Killers and regular prescriptions, all crushed of course. Yuck but I tolerate the flavor and just toss it back and wa**** down with a sip or two of water and also took my chewable vitamins.

Tomorrow morning I am going to try a scrambled egg. 

Cheers all.

LauraLeafFan
on 2/11/17 11:38 pm

Wayne,

Another example on how different these clinic are.  Here that early out TWH has us on a liquid diet....strained soup etc.  Tuna for us is on weeks 3 and 4 it would be considered a puree.  In Toronto we start with a poached egg as they say egg can be hard to digest....but poached seems a bit easier...but even that doesn't happen so quick out of the gate.

Good luck and listen to your body.

Laura

Referral MARCH 2016, Orientation JUNE 2016, Surgery FEBRUARY 14TH 2017

HW 272lbs 10 months Post-Op CW 175.7lbs

Wayne H.
on 2/12/17 3:59 am, edited 2/11/17 7:59 pm
RNY on 02/08/17

HI Laura,

This is considered Stage two to stage 3 which our clinic says can occur between days 3 and 7.   Like I said Only the humus and Salmon would be part of the puree foods. All else is still partl of the liquid phase you mention starts at day 7 for you.

I would love to listen to my body but I don't understand the gurgle, burp, growl language just yet.  Lol.  It starts from the moment I wake until I go to bed. No pain, just lots of air/liquid moving around. 

Patm
on 2/12/17 5:21 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Hi Just a couple of suggestions. Get rid of the juice as soon as possible. It is extra sugar you do not need. Some people can even dump on it. Also keep in mind they cut the nerves in your stomach. You will not feel anything wrong. Try to stay to your recommended diet as close as possible while your stomach is healing.

Wayne H.
on 2/12/17 5:39 am
RNY on 02/08/17

Good advice.  I mix the AJ with water 50/50 but i agree. Thanks.

I decided to hold off on eggs for now, I am worried about pushing it to much despite feeling fine. 

SweetPeaVeronica
on 2/12/17 5:38 am

Wayne,

We had surgery the same day. I am still on full fluids diet. I find I am not eating enough because food or rather fluids is turning me off. Glad to hear you are feeling well. I have been moving quite a bit and find that I have way too much energy at night when I should be getting rest. My BM's are not good as they are runny all the time. Can't leave my home for too long because there could be some issues. lol

Referred February 6, 2016 ~ Orientation May 3, 2016 ~ Surgeon (Dr. Klein) Apt September 1, 2016 ~ Internist (Dr. Glazer) Apt September 27, 2016 ~ Nut/Diet/Social Apt December 13, 2016 ~ Surgeon (Dr. Klein) Apt January 11, 2017 ~ Start of Opti January 18, 2017 ~ Surgery Date February 8, 2017 @ HRRH Lost 137.4 to date

Wayne H.
on 2/12/17 5:57 am
RNY on 02/08/17

Sorry to hear that you are having some issues, hang in there.  I'm sure things will come around.

Kathy1212
on 2/12/17 7:01 am

Hi  Veronica,

So happy to see you posting!  How are you feeling?

Sorry you're having a rough time.  Make sure you get your fluids in even if they turn you off; maybe try different temperatures to see which you can tolerate, or add some sugar free flavoring?  You don't want to get dehydrated.

Take care,

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Wayne H.
on 2/12/17 6:03 am
RNY on 02/08/17

Thanks for the feedback Ladies,

Same as when I was in Hospital, I got conflicting info depending on who I spoke to.  Surgeon says one thing, nurse another, then the book. LOL.  In this case I am talking about bandages, when to shower or not.  Surgeon said shower right away, nurse said wait for at least 3 days, book says the same but to leave bandages on for a week.  

Here is what is in my Post Surgery Guide"

I am following the guide provided to me.  It says Stage two (3 to 7 days) is Full fluid Diet which essentially is what you ladies are saying. It says to sip on Protein supplements and other clear fluids.  They want us to aim for 2L (8 cups a day).  It also says to start the vitamins, which I started since coming home day 2 as directed as well as the protein, However on the same page at the bottom highlighted and bolded there is a statement that says , and I quote:

Reminder:

Everyone heals at a different rate.  Once you feel comfortable with the protein supplement and full fluids, start progressing to stage 3 (Pureed diet) - you do not have to wait the full week

So to me it's a comfort level as I originally mentioned.  I'm just hesitant to do much more than I have already tried because It's too easy for me, that is my biggest concern at this time. touch wood!!

Kathy1212
on 2/12/17 6:51 am

Hi Wayne,

You're doing great.  I couldn't walk much more than down the hall and back for my walks on day 3 post-op without crazy pain.

I'm day 11 or 12 Post op today (Surgery was Feb. 1st) and have no more crazy pain at all, so walking is so much easier. I did walk every day since surgery but am glad it's easier now  I may ask my Dad to drive me to the grocery store and walk there as I shop, lol.  We have close to 6 feet of snow here so no walking outside for me; way too worried about a slip and fall.

You're lucky with your program. I have to do full fluids for 2 whole weeks.  In addition to my shakes I am allowed very runny cream of wheat, broth, cream soups that have been strained of any chunks, low fat cottage cheese, no sugar added greek yogurt, tomato and veggie juice, unsweetened fruit sauce, sugar free jello and popsicles, and of course, my protein shakes.

So far I've tried the veggie juice (yum), jello, broth, and cream of wheat.  I use the medicine cup too, as a measuring cup, but then toss it into an espresso cup, which I'm less likely to knock over, lol.  I want to try some cottage cheese or cream soup today.

I had lots of energy as well, and last night was the first night I slept a decent amount.

According to my planner, I started full fluids on Feb. 2nd, and two weeks will bring me to the 16th, so only 4 more days until puree.  I'm really looking forward to the ricotta bake and the refried beans.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Most Active
Recent Topics