Post Op Day 8 (1 Week home)

Wayne H.
on 2/16/17 11:13 am
RNY on 02/08/17

Post Op Day 8 (1 Week home)

Hope everybody out there is well and enjoying the new journey. Please remember reading this that we all recover at different rates and I feel very VERY Blessed to be progressing the way I am. I Journaled everything I've consumed since coming home from the hospital and the WLC I go to in Ottawa is behind my recovery progression 100%.
So far my recovery has been really good.

I was able to start eating pureed foods on Day 3 and have continued to do so and increase amounts as I become more familiar with my new anatomy. Pain subsided to the point I stopped taking the pain killers after day 5. I probably could have stopped on day 3 but wasn't sure.

Today (Feb 16 2017) I had my first Post OP meeting with the Nurse at the Clinic which went really well. My current weight is now 342. Down another 12 lbs since my last pre-surgery weigh in. SW was 404, pre-surgery weight was 354Lbs two days before the Operation.
I have had no Nausea, no abnormal pains and can seem to tolerate everything I've tried. I did develop a small rash on my right side likely caused by the antiseptic wash they spread on me prior to incisions. It's itchy and angry looking but getting better these last two days.

I find the the Whey Isolate and Premier Protein are both tasty and thus enjoy them. I only have vanilla at the moment but will pick up some Premier chocolate later today. I find myself debating about whether or not I should return my unused jug of Whey in favor of just sticking with the Premier Protein. I just can't think of a day in the rest of my life where one or two drinks a day wouldn't go a long way towards our overall health now in terms of easily obtaining our Protein needs. How do those months/years post op feel about that?

Foods I have taken so far without issue:
Whey Isolate
Premier Protein
Water or |Apples Juice diluted with water. (more or less stopped the AJ now)
Chicken/Beef/Vegetable Broths
SF Jello
Humus (day 2 I tried 1 Tsp),, since then I can eat more, usually about 4 tablespoons slowly as a snack choice.
Canned Salmon whipped with Low fat Miracle Whip (started day 3 -15ml)- Can eat about 1/4 - 1/2 cup. starting now to mix with something else now such as some beans.
Pea soup (Pureed more) - Started on day 4 with 60ml - can now eat 1/4 - 1/2 cup. As with the Salmon, I try to eat with another food choice.
Nordica whipped Cottage Cheese, You have to try this if you have not before. It's delicious. (10g Protein). Started on Day 4 with 30Ml, can now easily eat a full one but I now eat with something else so may eat 1/2 and something else.
Liberte Greek Yogurt - No issue, started with a tsp, can now eat a full one.
Re Fried Beans - LOL was waiting on this treat. I tried some on Day 6, no problem (3 tsp) and can now eat the same quantities as mentioned above, 1/4 - 1/2 cup.

Menu pretty much stayed the same at this point up until Day 7 where I tried a Nice Mushroom Soup my wife Picked. It was ok, but I don't think it has much value towards my Protein count so it was more of a craving than anything. LOL I started thinking about portobello Mushrooms the day before, I have no idea why. :-)
This morning I woke up and drank a 200ml (35g) whey Protein shake and about 1/2 hour later I had a scrambled egg and a Greek Yogurt for Breakfast .
Went off to Nurse followup appointment
For Lunch I just enjoyed about a 1/4 cup of Bean with Bacon soup (1/4 water added and pureed) and some Salmon mixed with the LF Miracle Whip (about 2 Tbsp), maybe a shade more since I snuck some mixing it. I will call it taste testing :-)

That is it for now. I'd like to say thanks to all those ahead of me and encourage you all to keep posting for all of us to learn from and also thanks those closer to my own RNY Date for sharing your experiences as well. I was able to say hello to my "RNY" Room Buddy (Luka) today at the clinic, I encouraged him to check out this forum. And another hello to a terrific guy early into this amazing journey (Thomas), who I met when he came by to pick up some leftover Opti I had. Picked my brain clean on the RNY procedure and recovery which was my pleasure to accommodate. I was lucky enough to have two cousins and a couple of friends who had this done which helped me to gauge the overall decisions I made for myself.

Cheers
Wayne

Kathy1212
on 2/16/17 12:44 pm

Wayne, you are absolutely rocking this!  You're doing so great!

I know we are all different and progress differently but I am very jealous of your food intake, lol.  It takes me forever to eat 1 ounce of anything; I'm talking several hours.

It's so nice that you were able to run into your room buddy, and that you're helping that other guy out by answering all of his questions.

I ran into a friend at the Walmart and she asked how I was doing and then asked if I was going to have loose skin.  I said so far no, so I'll just have to wait and see.  I thought that was a weird question but maybe she was just curious. 

So glad you're doing great!

Take care,

Kathy

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

LeslieCL
on 2/16/17 5:42 pm

You're rocking it too!

Wayne H.
on 2/16/17 6:47 pm
RNY on 02/08/17

I think most of us wonder about the excess skin.  I know I did.

So long as I can live life again, I don't care but I will.have it removed once I stabalize which I think is around 1 or two years post op.

Linda M.
on 2/16/17 1:39 pm - Orillia, Canada

You are doing SO well.  You're right; we all recuperate differently and you seem to be having no problems.  Thanks for the details.  I know we get a detailed list, but if I have any doubts, it would be that I won't be able to keep track of what I should eat and when.  How is your walking doing?  The weather has been a challenge and I'm hoping by the end of March that the snow has disappeared.

Great news.  Keep posting.

Linda

Orientation: June 29th, 2016, Surgery March 22, 2017. Pre-surgery: 16 lbs, (Size 2x, 18/20), M1: 19 lbs. (Size 1x, 16/18), M2: 13 lbs. (Size 16, XL) M3: 10 lbs. (Size 14/16, large). M4: 6 lbs. (Size 14, large/medium). M5: 10 lbs. (Size 14, solid medium - lol), M6: 9 lbs. (Size 12, medium). M7: 8 lbs. (Size 10/12 and small/medium). M8: 7 lbs. (Size 10 and small/medium). M9: 2 lbs. (Size 8/10 - small/medium). Lost 100 lbs by Month 9! M10: 5 lbs. M11: 4 lbs. One year: 6 lbs. Total 111 lbs. lost!

Wayne H.
on 2/16/17 2:20 pm
RNY on 02/08/17

Hi Linda,

Walking is fine as well.  I try to get out once in the late morming/afternoon and again at 9pm when my wife walks the dog.  If I do not get a chance to walk, then I may sub a trip to the mall or as in tonight, a visit to Costco.  

If I don't get outside at all, I end up pacing around the house. I have a Bungalow and have already made numerous indoor laps.  Drives my wife nutty but she knows why.

Jo0710
on 2/16/17 3:38 pm

I too am jealous of your food and how easy that part is for you. I can't get in more than 1/4 cup and sometimes not even that much - like dinner tonight. 

Congrats on the success! :) 

Keep it up! 

RNY Jan 16/17 Surgery @ St. Mikes with Dr. Rotstein. Pre-Surgery -20lbs & Optifast -15lbs. Year 1 Loss after RNY: 131lbs

**Half the woman I was**

LeslieCL
on 2/16/17 4:27 pm

I'm glad it's going well for you.  I was happy to see the Liberté yogurt!  It's my favourite despite the cost. 

leeann73
on 2/16/17 5:06 pm

I am hungry just reading your posts. Haha. I don't know if hunger is the word as I actually have no appetite on opti but drooling I guess for some tastes. Day 10 of opti done. 3 more days of opti and then it's surgery time for me. 

referral: early June 2016; surgery Feb 21, 2017

leeann73
on 2/16/17 5:06 pm

Correction. 4 more days of opti. 

referral: early June 2016; surgery Feb 21, 2017

Most Active
Recent Topics