Finally Home From Guelph!!

LauraLeafFan
on 2/19/17 4:33 pm, edited 2/20/17 2:26 pm

Hello All,

First of all I want to say thank you for all the well wishes I received along the way.  I had surgery on February 14th... Valentines Day.  The surgery itself was a success ... I was tired most of that day mind you.  I was doing well Wednesday I started walking around an I learned quick that I preferred warm things over cold fluids.   The surgeon told me my white blood cells were down when he came to see me that morning but said sometimes its just how some peoples bodies respond to surgery and blood would be redrawn again the next day.   I continued to sip and walk and try and toot... Thursday morning when I was hoping I was getting to come home my Surgeon came in to inform me that although my white blood cells had come back into normal range that my hemoglobin had dropped a significant amount.  So he asked if I was throwing up blood, or if it was coming out the other end.  I said no... he said he was keeping me that day and night to observe me and see what happens.    He told me everything else was solid... blood pressure... temperature... heart rate... nothing else ever faltered.  He told me he thought I either had a blood vessel that was bleeding or that there was a bleed coming from the staple line.   All further blood thinners were cancelled and I was given a shot of Vitamin K.  He told me that because my vitals were solid not to worry.   Late Thursday morning I thought I had to toot... but I didn't I started passing blood.  Of course I got scared.... the surgeon was called immediately... and like always he was back in to see me.  He did tell the nurses he wasn't surprised and was expecting it to show up in some way...their job was to monitor it and record it.  Of course I panicked thinking we were headed back into the OR... but he assured me that no that likely wouldn't happen.   Usually they correct themselves and the fact I wasn't vomiting was a great sign ... and that is was likely in the lower bowel.  My blood was checked again and had dropped a slight bit more and the surgeon Thursday night decided it would be in my best interest to receive two bags of blood.  Needless to say the bleeding did stop but Dr. Bhojani wanted me to have my blood remain stable for 48 hours before sending me home.   

I can't say enough great things about Dr Bhojani and Guelph hospital.  He was in twice a day since my surgery Tuesday and even once each day over the weekend!!  He received calls from the nurses at 1am regarding my blood levels even!!  He is a surgeon who  really  cares about his patients.

Thanks again all,

Laura

Also I have the best man in my life ... he was my rock through all this and I love you hun... I am so happy to be on the losers bench with ya!!

AngelaBfromwindsor
on 2/19/17 4:55 pm

That would s Great news Laura! I'm glad you are all better and back at home now! Get some good rest at home because I know those hospital beds are horrible lol! Take care!

LauraLeafFan
on 2/19/17 5:01 pm

Thanks Angela...plus the person who took over your bed wasn't a bariatric patient and was up multiple times throwing up etc in the  night...so looking forward to a sleep in my bed.

Hope you are doing well!!

Laura

AngelaBfromwindsor
on 2/19/17 5:06 pm

Omg that sucks! I'm doing really good I think! But I think I over did it today, I went grocery shopping with my 2 kids and I waited to long to eat something so I was feeling really crampy! But as soon as I ate my lunch I was fine again! I can't be doing that no more! Hubby and kids must be excited your!

LauraLeafFan
on 2/20/17 4:49 am

You gotta remember to eat at the proper times...I know we don't get hungry...

Careful I was told we can't lift more then 10lbs for a couple months.

Yep kids and hubby are happy I am home!

crqvingchange
on 2/19/17 7:12 pm

Glad you are home Laura.  I have met Dr. Bhojani and he was very nice about taking the time to answer my questions.  Wishing you smooth sailing from here on in.  Drink lots of fluids, that will help.  I also prefer warm fluids and drink lots of decaf coffee and decaf tea.  Chicken broth is also a great way to get in your fluids.  Your DH sounds like a keeper.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

LauraLeafFan
on 2/20/17 4:32 am

Thanks....oh yeah I am getting a litre and a half in right now...broth and decaf teas mainly as like I said warm goes in easy.  The other good thing I didn't suffer gas pains long and the last 3 days that I was in hospital I wasn't on any pain killers ...

Thanks again....and yep he is a keeper!!

Manda32
on 2/19/17 7:24 pm

So, sorry you had to go through all that. Must have been scary at times. Glad it all worked out in the end, and your back home.

Wish you a healthy recovery! Take care of yourself.

LauraLeafFan
on 2/20/17 4:34 am

Thanks Manda....yep scary in the beginning but Dr. Bhojani was calm the whole time which calmed me...plus I was in excellent hands with the nursing staff in Guelph..

Always nice to be home...my kids missed me.

leeann73
on 2/20/17 3:52 am

Hello Laura. My surgery is with dr. Bhojani tomorrow so I am really glad that you have such high praise for him. I am worried about the surgery. It you are so positive it really helps. Glad you are back at home now   So nice that you and your hubby have each other for support. 

referral: early June 2016; surgery Feb 21, 2017

Most Active
Recent Topics