Acceptable snack?

Mahalo F.
on 2/20/17 6:47 am, edited 2/20/17 7:00 am

Good morning RNYers!

I am reaching out for some guidance !

I am going away for March Break in Florida with my sons.

I am looking for a dry snack for the airplane.

I found these dry Chick Peas

1/3 of a cup= 100 calories

Fat. 2.5 gm

Omega-6-1 gm

Omega-3-30.1gm

Sodium-280 gm

Potassium-140mg

Charbohydrates-18gm

Fibre-5 gm

Sugar-1gm

Protein-5 gm

Iron 8.5

When I met the dietician last week, I wanted to know how many calories are acceptable at 6 weeks out?  She said not to get caught up in how many calories.

I don't have issues with my blood pressure. It tends to be on the low side since my RNY. What is acceptable sodium or chart content?  I am still looking for chick peas without sodium.

I have always wondered what are the acceptable nutrician facts when purchasing anything ie. soups, snacks 

What are your thoughts?

Sandra.  

Mahalo   

Roux En Y - Jan. 4, 2017

HW 283 SW 260 CW 165

IN THE END WE ONLY REGRET CHANCES WE DIDN'T TAKE.

Patm
on 2/20/17 7:32 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

The snack looks fine for an occasional snack. This early it is pretty hard to eat too many calories. If your blood pressure is low a little extra sodium will help.

Another good one is almonds

(deactivated member)
on 2/20/17 8:40 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

If you don't have BP problems then I wouldn't worry about sodium levels.  You can make your own chick pea snacks without salt if you would prefer no salt.  Almonds are a good choice too and even cheese strings are good, they are able to be kept out of the fridge.  Little babybel cheeses are a good choice as well.  Likely too soon for jerky but that is an easy portable snack to carry and you chew and chew forever so it helps pass the time while getting in some protein.  You could bring protein powder then buy a bottle of water once through security and mix that up.  There are tons of protein bars that can be carried in your purse easily.  I often keep one in my purse just in case.

crqvingchange
on 2/20/17 9:41 am

Nuts are on the declaration list when going through customs (found that out this weekend).  I declared them and they took a look and waved me through.  They were still sealed in the tin.

Guelph didn't allow nuts for quite a while after surgery.

I took various protein bars in my purse when I recently went on vacation.  I also always carry sleeves of decaf coffee and sweetener, and water enhancer.  

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

Mahalo F.
on 2/20/17 11:42 am

Thanks for all your responses & ideas.

I am not a fan of Beef Jerky before RNY & I don't think that I could tolerate it this early out regardless.

My dietician said to stay away from protein bars for now.

They tend to have high calories and I am not sure that I could tolerate them this early out

Trying to back off the cheese as I am pretty sure it is contributing to my constipation.

Nuts are a great idea but almonds are very high in calories.

Gonna bring some Greek yogurt just not sure that I can cross over with any food like that.

I am definitely going to google the restaurants & choices for our lay over in Montreal.

I am looking for a dry snack for the airplane as I tend to have nausea during the flight. It would not be a regular snack just a once only for the flights there and back.

Trying to plan ahead ....

Wish I could bring a couple of Premiere Protein Shakes. They would be perfect... BUT @ 325 ml not sure they would let me smuggle it across. I thought of bringing my RNY card. Hoping they would make an exception.

Thanks again

Sandra   

Mahalo   

Roux En Y - Jan. 4, 2017

HW 283 SW 260 CW 165

KristieA
on 2/20/17 2:58 pm - Orillia, Canada

Just a quick thought (as I have ended up dumping while in the airport and on the plane) make sure you 'test' what you are trying before you go.   During your lay over in Montreal I wouldn't risk anything new just in case.   6 weeks is pretty fresh out to know how things may react.  

If Montreal has a Tim Hortons,  chili is a reasonable go to if that is something you can tolerate.   I generally find consistency in their chili so no surprises.  Although cheese may be causing problems,  that may be a short term way to get a bit of protein for that time frame.   Nuts are higher in fat and calories but another short term solution.  If you can time a protein shake just before you go through security and then have a 100ml container to pour a serving into in front of the security person that may work. 

I'm sure it will all work out.   Stay hydrated and you may just have to wait until your destination to get your protein in. 

"Don't trade what you want the most,
                    for what you want at the moment."

(deactivated member)
on 2/20/17 4:21 pm - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

If you just need it for the nausea and nothing more then just grab some crackers, the carbs from a few won't be the end of the world.  Melba toast can be purchased in packs of just two or three so they would fit perfectly in your purse and do the job for the nausea.

Nikki101
on 2/21/17 5:03 pm - Canada
RNY on 02/02/15

I don't have much to contribute, just curious about the RNY card you mentioned. What is it? Thanks.

Mahalo F.
on 2/22/17 12:25 pm

Hello Nikki

My Weight Management Center gave me a card that says my name and date of surgery...

It is meant to keep in your wallet with your driver's license.

It the event you end up in hospital, accident or unconscious, it would tell Emergency Personnel that you had gastric bypass surgery.  Our hospitals are all connected but it will come in handy for Florida... You never know..

There is a small section that says you can order from the kids menu.  Unfortunately there are not good choices from the kids menu. LOL

Sandra.  

Mahalo.  

Roux En Y - Jan. 4, 2017

HW 283 SW 260 CW 165

Nikki101
on 2/22/17 12:52 pm - Canada
RNY on 02/02/15

My center didn't even mention it. I'm going to have to call them.  I live on a border town so I go to Michigan frequently so this would be a huge help to have. I went through the Sudbury center.

Most Active
Recent Topics