Day 16 Post Op - Update

Wayne H.
on 2/24/17 9:39 am
RNY on 02/08/17

Hi Everyone, 

I See we have a few more folks on the Losers Bench now.  Glad and Happy to hear most are recovering fine.

As for me, 

I continue to recover fairly well.   I basically realized that I was moving along too fast and thus have backed off on the solids and am sticking with more or less a blend between solids and puree.  I am after all only 16 days post op.

I have now had a few instances where I ate to much and my body let me know it.   I don't get any pain and I suspect part of the reason why I don't feel full is because I am still recovering and perhaps I was eating to quickly despite conscious efforts to slow down.  I find I eat to quickly when I'm distracted...like watching TV.  When I am busy with something, time flies by and next thing I know I've missed a snack. 

When I vomited from being full, it was a strange feeling leading up to it.  First, Food doesn't feel stuck but rather it feels like it's just sitting in my throat.  Then my body creates a lot of saliva and despite numerous attempts to spit it out...it just keeps coming until such time I vomit.  This is a clear sign from the new pouch to slow down.

Despite that, I did have a little Chinese food on the 18th as it was my Daughters B-day and that's what she wanted.  I had a bit of General Tao chicken and a couple slices of crispy beef.  My two favorites and I was able to digest that fine.  I also had a won ton soup which lasted me 2 days as I would eat maybe two won tons and some of the broth. (Yummy).

I am walking more but did feel a little weak/dizzy after doing a mega loop with my wife the other night.  It was my idea but now realize I just need to settle back a bit.  I'll continue my 15 Min Loop twice a day for now.

Last Night I enjoyed a sliver of Pizza, well mostly just the toppings and a small piece of Chicken Pot Pie.  Both were ok. 

I can't ask my daughter/boyfriend and my Wife to completely change their eating habits.  It's up to me to police myself. 

I went to the gym the other night, seems I gained 4 pounds from my SW.  :-(      Hope it was just because I had eaten supper first and not because my Body has stalled already.   I know the obvious is some of my food choices but the amounts are so small, more like a treat than the norm and thus I can't see that being an issue.  Especially since it's microscopic in terms of what I used to be able to devour. 

I am having daily BM's now which I find hard to pass.  I used to be on a prescription of Zenical which is a fat blocker and it kept things loose. The Doctors told me to stop it after surgery.  (TMI warning) Now things are normal I have a roid I believe that is aggravated again.  I mentioned it at my 1 week followup but the Nurse did not seem concerned beyond we'll check out the next blood work for Iron Levels since they will drop if I bleed to much. 

I continue to enjoy my Yogurt, Nordica Whipped Cottage Cheese, Pea Soups, Chili, Hummus, scrambled Eggs, Peameal Bacon, sausage, and a few other things.  Again, I've decided to restrain myself from going to chicken/beef/steaks at this time. The Bacon and sausage are pretty tender and are easier chewed down to small pieces but no more than 1 slice/sausage per meal.

Drinking:  I am able to pretty much drink normally now.  In fact I catch myself almost gulping which I know is a no no, but when it's happened I've had no issue. 

Can't think of what else to report back on.

Keep all your own updates coming.

Wayne

AngelaBfromwindsor
on 2/24/17 10:00 am

Wow Wayne, I am day 11 post op and I am no where near eating any of that stuff! Did u go through Toronto or Guelph because Guelph is so different form T.O. I'm still scared to even try cottage cheese which is my favorite! I still have problems with to big of a sip with cold water (I'm better with hot or warm). It is so weird how everybody is different. I have to stay on the full fluid diet for 3 weeks so not until March 13 can I start solids. Yes it does feel like u r constantly eating something. I don't get the old full feeling I used to before surgery its more of pains that start when I'm becoming full! There r times I can't even finish my 1/2 cup of my oatmeal or soup! I haven't thrown up yet and I really don't want to so I definitely am paying close attention to my belly! I can't wait to see my results on my 3 week follow up at the baractric clinic! Take care and remember to just take it slow and listen to your body!

LauraLeafFan
on 2/24/17 10:31 am

Does Guelph skip over the puree stage?  All my classes were with TWH so I am following their guide now that I am out of the hospital.  Just curious is all.

Laura

AngelaBfromwindsor
on 2/24/17 11:32 am

It's says in the books that I can start the puree on day 28, so I am be cautious and doing everything by the book! How about u have u tried anything yet! I'm scared to but maybe in taking it to the extreme! Let me know how u r doing?

LauraLeafFan
on 2/24/17 1:31 pm

I am doing great....I enjoy creamed soups...oatmeal....yogurt....I had sugar free pudding....diet cranberry and cherry by ocean spray is delicious.  I will try some puree next week as per my clinic and see how it goes.

My protein shakes are going in slow but we'll. 

Keep up the good work!! 

Laura

leeann73
on 2/24/17 1:26 pm

Hey Laura. Guelph is clear fluids for one week, then full fluid for 3 weeks. After that you transition to soft foods. If you can find their food plan on line. 

referral: early June 2016; surgery Feb 21, 2017

LauraLeafFan
on 2/24/17 1:35 pm

Thanks Leeann....I was just curious ...I was only at Guelph for the surgery and was told to follow my TWH plan and I am supposed to start puree next week for two weeks then soft foods after.

How ya feeling?

Talk soon,

Laura

AngelaBfromwindsor
on 2/24/17 4:12 pm

I'm doing pretty good! I have all my incisions uncovered but 2 they look good but there r clears stitches sticking out of them and they poke me all the time e so I keep them covered. I'm doing g much better with the cool water but I do still have to pay attention to how big of a sip I take! I can't wait till March 8 for my follow up at the baractric clinic here. I'm glad everything is well with u to as well! Take care!

Angela

Monica9811
on 2/24/17 1:45 pm - Peterborough, Canada

You are allowed cottage cheese right after surgery and the first bite is ******ic. Been so long since you could chew food!!  Go get some!

AngelaBfromwindsor
on 2/24/17 1:47 pm

If u went through Guelph it says u r not allowed to have cottage cheese till day 28! Toronto is totally different!

Most Active
Recent Topics