One Month Post-Op Appt. and some info about my test results

Kathy1212
on 2/28/17 5:25 pm

Hi Everyone,

Thank you all so very much for your support and encouragement about my test results last Friday.

I had my 1 month post op appointment in Sudbury this morning, and it went well.  My Dad drove me as it's a 4 hour drive and I get so sleepy so quickly he was worried about me going alone.

The appointment was broken up into two parts; first there was a classroom sort of thing with lots of other post oppers, all 4-5 weeks out from surgery, about vitamins and nutrition.  That was nice, but I discovered everyone is waaay ahead of me in terms of what and how much they can eat (two gals were eating potato chips on the break!).

After break, I met with my nurse, one on one, which is what i was really looking forward to.  She weighed me, did my blood pressure and measurments, said I was doing great, and asked me about the pain I was having after eating (the reason why I needed the tests last week).  I explained that pureed food goes down nicely, tastes great, I have no nausea or anything, but about 4 hours (or more) later I have sharp pain on the lower left side of my abdomen.  I gave her a copy of my test results and explained that Dr. Lindsay was waiting for a copy too, but I wasn't sure when my family doctor would be in the office next (he works at the hospital a few days a week and is not always in his office). So the nurse immediately faxed my results to Dr. Lindsay's office in Toronto.  She also sent him a message explaining the pain I was having and told me she'd call me back when she hears from him.

She told me that the clips in my abdomen were normal and not to worry about them (yay!), and that they were most likely staples and not surgical clips. I told her that Dr. Lindsay told me he doesn't use staples and she said he probably meant for the incisions, not for my insides.

So that was a relief. 

It was raining heavily all the drive home but thankfully no freezing rain or snow.  I was about half way home when the nurse called me to tell me she'd spoken to Dr. Lindsay, and he wants me to do 2 more weeks of Full Fluids, starting today.  He thinks the pain could be due to inflammation.

I do tend to suffer from inflammation (allergies, asthma are inflammatory problems, I was told), so I guess that makes sense.  It could also maybe explain why I find ice cold water so soothing and warmer liquids harder to handle.

So, two more weeks of Full Fluids.  I was looking forward to eating purees but if full fluids mean I'll be pain free, than that's fine with me.

I have to call Sudbury/Dr. Lindsay if the pain doesn't go away or if it gets worse on the full fluids, but so far, so good.  I had some soup and some cottage cheese today, along with my protein shake.  I still need to get in one more protein shake today.  Last week I picked up some powdered milk and I can add them to my cream soups to make them higher in protein.  I was going to have pureed butternut squash tomorrow, but instead will have to make it butternut squash soup, lol. 

The dietician told me I wasn't eating enough carbs (or enough anything, except protein) , and said butternut squash soup is a great idea. She gave us all a list of Low GI carbs that are healthy choices, but most I won't be able to eat while on full liquids, although I suppose I could also try pea soup (it's on the list).

Tomorrow I'll be exactly 1 month post op, which means I'll be on Full Liquids until 6 weeks Post Op.  Most people are starting Soft Solids at one month, so I'm really behind everyone else in what i can manage.

Did anyone else have to do full liquids for such a long time?

Thanks, and sorry for the super long post.

Take care,

Kathy

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

odie
on 2/28/17 5:36 pm
RNY on 05/26/14

Good to know that all your questions were answered!!  Not knowing is always the worse!!  Remember not to judge your progress with anyone else.  We are all unique!!  And the girl eating potato chips!!  Seriously???? lol

To Thine Own Self Be True!!

Kathy1212
on 2/28/17 6:02 pm

I'm hoping they were protein chips, but my Dad said they were just regular ones and she said she was craving them.  I didn't talk to her, she was in the afternoon group, but my Dad did.  Poor guy had to wait 4 hours for me, but thankfully he had lots of talkative people to keep him company, lol.  He met more people than I did.

I do feel better now that my questions were answered.  I know we're all different and really, the full fluids are OK, especially if it means no more pain.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

Kathy  

Travelher
on 3/2/17 7:24 am
Revision on 10/04/16

yeah wow, potato chips. Pretty early for people to be engaging in self sabotage. Hopefully they will be able to get a handle on it. Long term successful folks are successful because of their food choices. Glad you were able to get your questions answered.

Band-RNY revision age 50 5'4" HW 260 SW: 244 (bf healthy range 23-35%) bf 23.7% (at 137lbs) cw range 135-138.lbl with butt lift and mastoplexy March 23, 2018...2.5lbs removed.

Pre-op-16lbs (size 18/20...244) M1-16lbs (size 18...228) M2-15.6lbs (size 16/18...212.4) M3-10lbs (size 16..202.4) M4-11.4lbs (size 14...191) M5-10.8lbs (size 12...180.2) M6-8.4 (size 8/10...171.8) M7-6.4 (size 8...165.4 lbs) M8-11.6 (size 6...153.8) M9-5.6 (size 4/6...148.2) M10-5.8 (size 4....142.4) M11-4 (size 2/4...138.4) Surgiversary -1 (size 2/4...137.4) M13-2.6 (size 2/4...134.8) M14 (size 2/4...134.8) M15 (size 2...135) M16 (size 2...131.4) M17 (size 2...135) M18 (size 2...135) M19 (size 2...138) M20 (size 2...135) M21 (size 2...138)

AngelaBfromwindsor
on 2/28/17 5:55 pm

Kathy, I'm glad u got some good news! I hope going back to full fluids helps you out!

Kathy1212
on 2/28/17 6:04 pm

Thank you, Angela. So far, so good!  I had a protein shake for breakfast, chicken soup for lunch, and some cottage cheese for supper, and it's 9 PM now, and no pain (thank God). 

Kathy  

Wayne H.
on 2/28/17 8:30 pm
RNY on 02/08/17

Phew, I am happy you got answers Kathy. Hopefully you can focus on just recovering now.  You will get there. I always said "It took me years to get big and if it takes a decade to get it off again so be it".   

Your post comforted me in that as you know, I am ahead of the curve. But now with what you said I feel better knowing that maybe I am not really.  You have me.on MFP now so you can see my menu looks like which I dont think is bad.

Certainly not chips , I think those two were rude for bringing that crap in the room with the others. 

Kathy1212
on 2/28/17 9:29 pm

You're ahead and I'm way behind, lol.  I'll trade you places :-).

I was also told not to walk for an hour at once any more because my calories are so low that when I feel like i might pass out...I actually might.  All I need, lol. I'm supposed to limit myself to no more than 30 minute walks until I can start getting in more food/calories.

The chips were surprising.  I know I couldn't allow myself that even if I could eat them because they've always been a major weakness of mine and would just trigger me.  But maybe those two gals are OK with chips and can stop with only a few; who knows?  My Dad was shocked though, lol.

Kathy  

Linda M.
on 3/1/17 8:16 am - Orillia, Canada

I'm glad you were given the answers needed to help you stop worrying that anything was out of sorts.  It's amazing that everyone reading your post - and it wasn't super long - noticed the chip eaters.  We aren't meant to judge and I know I will still have a battle with some foods, but I honestly believe in going through all of this I wouldn't be eating chips - especially there!

It helps to read what others are going through and only highlights the fact that we are all so different.  One day at a time ... you are reaching your goals.

* You've got a great Dad! (and Mom, I'm sure).

Orientation: June 29th, 2016, Surgery March 22, 2017. Pre-surgery: 16 lbs, (Size 2x, 18/20), M1: 19 lbs. (Size 1x, 16/18), M2: 13 lbs. (Size 16, XL) M3: 10 lbs. (Size 14/16, large). M4: 6 lbs. (Size 14, large/medium). M5: 10 lbs. (Size 14, solid medium - lol), M6: 9 lbs. (Size 12, medium). M7: 8 lbs. (Size 10/12 and small/medium). M8: 7 lbs. (Size 10 and small/medium). M9: 2 lbs. (Size 8/10 - small/medium). Lost 100 lbs by Month 9! M10: 5 lbs. M11: 4 lbs. One year: 6 lbs. Total 111 lbs. lost!

Kathy1212
on 3/1/17 9:30 am

We got a lecture about not eating enough carbs so maybe they took it to heart and bought chips, lol. Who knows.

My Dad and I have always been close.  He's a sweetie.

Kathy  

Most Active
Recent Topics