The evil scale

leeann73
on 3/7/17 4:52 am

i have not lost anything since I started full fluids. I am going to stop weighing myself. So early out though I thought I would be melting more. On the bright side, down 28 pounds since opti so that is one month today but just 13 since surgery and that was mostly in the first week. Stupid scale.

referral: early June 2016; surgery Feb 21, 2017

Linda M.
on 3/7/17 5:26 am - Orillia, Canada

You already know this, but concentrate on how your clothes fit, how energetic you must feel, and the measurements you must have taken. As I start Opti tomorrow, I will be measuring tonight, taking yucky pictures (which I will probably hate even being thinner), and weigh myself naked in the morning (in my bathroom and not in my kitchen - lol). Scales are stupid. Is it okay to weigh once a month or should it be once a week when you are in your first six months?

You are doing great!

Linda

Orientation: June 29th, 2016, Surgery March 22, 2017. Pre-surgery: 16 lbs, (Size 2x, 18/20), M1: 19 lbs. (Size 1x, 16/18), M2: 13 lbs. (Size 16, XL) M3: 10 lbs. (Size 14/16, large). M4: 6 lbs. (Size 14, large/medium). M5: 10 lbs. (Size 14, solid medium - lol), M6: 9 lbs. (Size 12, medium). M7: 8 lbs. (Size 10/12 and small/medium). M8: 7 lbs. (Size 10 and small/medium). M9: 2 lbs. (Size 8/10 - small/medium). Lost 100 lbs by Month 9! M10: 5 lbs. M11: 4 lbs. One year: 6 lbs. Total 111 lbs. lost!

(deactivated member)
on 3/7/17 5:36 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

Full fluids suck and if you are eating soups, they are loaded with sodium so can cause water retention and then if you eat a lot of yogurt, shakes, cottage cheese, you can get constipated. You are also likely still retaining fluids from the IV, can take weeks to flu**** out. Just weigh once a week if it's driving you bonkers, you will notice other changes like clothes feeling looser and that means more than the scale.

JubileeRocks
on 3/7/17 6:15 am

I had my surgery Jan. 30 and I hit a major stall like this too. The first week or so I lost about a pound a day and then it tapered off to a pound to a pound and a half a week. And that lasted for THREE WEEKS. I was so disheartened. I got varied feedback, some people told me it was just the three week stall, others tried to tell me I was eating too many calories (as if!), and others told me basically I should be grateful for the opportunity to have had the surgery and to be patient.

I totally get where you are coming from. I can tell you that for the past week I am back to losing half a pound to a pound a day. What got me through was I started doing my measurements weekly. Even though the scale was barely moving I was losing inches every single week. I think that my body was just acclimating to all the weight I lost on optifast and during that first week. Good luck. Don't let that scale get you down, because eventually it HAS to start moving again when you are this early out.

Referral January 2016, Orientation May 2016, Surgery January 30, 2017

HW: 306.7, SW: 286.5

Please feel free to visit my blog at https://julieshrinks.wordpress.com

MicheleA
on 3/7/17 11:07 am

Hi there. I also had surgery on Jan 30th and my story sounds identical to yours. I was loosing weight really quickly for the first 3 weeks then a 3 week stall. I believe I am just coming out of it now. So glad it's not just me. I started to worry that I was eating to much. It forced me to double check on My fitness Pal and now I use it everyday - I'm hooked. My daily calorie intake is anywhere from 580 to 625 calories so clearly I should be loosing weight. I'm from big numbers. If my scale moves in the right direction tomorrow then I am definitely out until the next stall of course. lol. I am able to fit into an old pair of jeans so that was nice. I have not been taking my measurements but I think I will start.

Thanks for writing your note.

Wayne H.
on 3/7/17 5:30 pm
RNY on 02/08/17

I stopped worrying about the scale and focus more on trying on clothes I have not worn in a few years. Its less aggravating.

As for stalling a couple weeks out from surgery, I am the same. First time I got to a scale in week two, I actually went up about 3 lbs from my 1 week check-in, but that was with shoes on. Last week I went to my regular doctor and I was 4 lbs lighter than a week out. Lol

I return to work tomorrow and will get to step on the regular Frieght Scale I use to guage where I am now. I do hope I am down but then again, now I know it may be perfectly fine if I show a stall.

Kathy1212
on 3/7/17 8:46 am

You're doing great! Like everyone else said, your body is just acclimating to the weight loss; you may still be retaining water, etc.

It will start moving again.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Most Active
Recent Topics