What happens at the Pre-Admission Clinic Visit?

100Buttons
on 3/8/17 7:52 pm
RNY on 03/03/17

i have been scheduled for a Clinic Visit about 3 weeks before my surgery. It says plan for 2-3 hours. The surgeon just said that if they have missed anything that could be harm to me they will catch it at this appointment.

What is this visit for? Has anyone been declined or delayed further from this visit? Did anyone at TWH not have to do it?

LauraLeafFan
on 3/8/17 9:00 pm

It's your preop appointment. You make sure you bring your health insurance info if you have coverage for a semi private or private room. You will meet with a nurse. They will run blood work and do an ecg. You meet with Re pharmacist who goes over any of your meds. You will also meet the anesthesiologist who goes over some stuff important to them like sleep apnea...make sure you have good neck movement etc.

This is standard and I wouldn't stress about it as everyone has to go. Hubby was with TWH ...I was with Guelph and even I had one to attend.

Enjoy as you are almost there!!

(deactivated member)
on 3/9/17 2:02 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

I've had many surgeries and have always had a PATS for each one. As the other poster said, they go over everything again. They get you to sign all the papers for surgery normally and they do blood work and ECG and may send you for a chest x-ray depending on age. You give them insurance info if you have any and then you see a bunch of people that basically go over all the same info with you again. I have an abnormal ECG at one of my PATS and they just had it redone two days later in my home town and when the results were normal, everything when on as planned. Each place does things a little differently but that is the general idea of it. Not sure about TWH but I have sat in PATS for 6 hours at times so be prepared in case that happens there too.

100Buttons
on 3/9/17 1:28 pm
RNY on 03/03/17

Thanks for the feedback. What are they looking for in the bloodwork? If they found low iron for example,could you be declined?

(deactivated member)
on 3/9/17 1:50 pm - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

I've never had my iron tested as part of pre-op. They are looking for things like clotting factors, etc. This is to make sure you are safe to proceed to go under. If you have never had clotting issues or heart issues then it's more of a formality than anything else. They go through the procedure on the day of surgery and make sure your lungs are clear and ask you the same questions over and over like how many surgeries, have you ever reacted to anesthesia, etc. It's to make sure it's safe to go and nothing more.

Most Active
Recent Topics