One single hiccup after eating, lol.

Kathy1212
on 3/15/17 6:37 pm

Since starting back on purees yesterday, I've noticed that when I'm almost finished my meal, I will hiccup, once. Is that my body's cue to stop eating, lol? I've decided it is, but is that crazy of me, lol?

So far, no pain after eating, thank God.

Thanks,

Kathy

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Tracks
on 3/15/17 7:25 pm - Halton Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/25/17

So happy to hear you're not having pain on purées this time. Yay!!

HW: 335 SW: 310 CW: 287

Kathy1212
on 3/15/17 9:40 pm

Thank you! I'm happy too!

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

Kathy  

Wayne H.
on 3/15/17 7:32 pm
RNY on 02/08/17

Great news to hear Kathy!!

The hiccup is your cue. I get them sometimes as well and other times I start burping. Wife loves the belching...not. lol "I can't help it honey, its the pouch talking"

Kathy1212
on 3/15/17 9:41 pm

LOL; I can imagine.

Kathy  

White Dove
on 3/16/17 12:26 am - Warren, OH

Hiccups, sneezing, runny nose are because the vagus nerve was cut or damaged during the surgery. It gets easily irritated when eating.

I consider it a great bonus. The damaged or severed vagus nerve is what keeps hunger away.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Kathy1212
on 3/16/17 7:50 am

Thanks for explaining. Do the surgeons damage it on purpose to get rid of hunger?

Kathy  

White Dove
on 3/16/17 8:01 am - Warren, OH

My surgeon told me before surgery that he would cut the vagus nerve and doing that would take hunger away.

Every surgeon has their own techniques. Your surgeon can tell you if your vagus nerve was severed.

If it was, I think you are very lucky to have that surgeon. It will be ten years in October and I have never felt hunger since my surgery.

Smoka
on 3/16/17 8:30 am
RNY on 09/12/17

This is really interesting. Do we have to tell our surgeon to do this? You would think that they would do it automatically and then educate us about it? This is the first I have heard about it. What about all of the other people that have had wls and the hunger never goes away?

White Dove
on 3/16/17 8:55 am - Warren, OH

Before surgery, I told my surgeon I was worried that the surgery would not work because I would always get so hungry.

He said that he would just cut the vagus nerve and then there would be no more hunger. I had never heard of that before he told me about it.

I do wish that all surgeons did that. Many do not. My advise to someone having the surgery would be to request that the surgeon sever that nerve during the procedure.

Some surgeons have experimented with just cutting the vagus nerve instead of doing weight loss surgery. I don't know if having it as a separate operation would make sense for someone who already had their surgery and still has an intact vagus nerve.

If you have the sneezing, hiccupping or runny nose with eating, it is a good bet that you no longer have an intact vagus nerve.

Most Active
Recent Topics