Oatmeal and Yogurt

Manda32
on 3/21/17 11:46 pm

I'm starting full fluids on Thursday. Is there any instant oatmeal out there that would be okay to use, than making it from scratch? I know you can get a lot of instant oatmeal in different flavours. To be honest haven't had oatmeal in years. Just wondering if there is any healthy, no fat oatmeal options out there?

I don't like yogurt, but going to try it. Does the yogurt have to have no sugar in it or can it have a little? Again no yogurt expert here, any tips or advice on brands would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Orientation April 2016 - Final approvals December 2016. Surgical Class January 23, 2017. Met with Dr. Reed February 7, 2017. Opti start date March 1, 2017. Surgery March 15, 2017 (Dr. Foute-Nelong).

HW 348 SW 316 CW 191

GW 160

ready-4-new-start
on 3/22/17 3:38 am - Canada

A lot of people are using Skyr yogurt from No frills or loblaws high in protein low sugar, I add sweatner or u can add unsweetened jam, protein powder

Referral received at hrrh Nov6/14, orientation March23/15, surgery April 11/16

Insert Fitness
on 3/22/17 3:41 am

Welcome to the boards!

i hope you spend some time reading the forums, you'll find tons of good information on here!

i don't have any useful advice regarding oatmeal. It's something i never liked pre op, and is something I would avoid post op, because I eat lower carb. But a lot of people eat it when they get to their goal weight.

but for yogurt, my advice is choose a type that's higher in protein. Look for Greek, or skyr in the label ( skyr is basically Icelandic version of Greek yogurt, but less tangy, so I prefer that)

i buy plain, and sweeten it with either a little bit of vanilla, or Splenda/stevia. And I add berries. Some people add sugar free jam to flavour it too. I often top it with bran buds for crunch and fiber.

i don't worry about fat content, as long as it fits my overall calories for the day.

hope that helps!

RNY Sept 8, 2016

M1:23, M2 :18, M3 :11, M4 :19, M5: 13, M6: 12, M7: 17, M8: 11, M9: 11.5, M10: 13, M11: 10, M12: 10 M13 : 7.6, M14: 6.9, M15: 6.7

Instagram:InsertFitness

(deactivated member)
on 3/22/17 5:33 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

You can buy the little packets of oatmeal in just original so there is no added flavour or sugar. I would use that instead of the ones that are loaded with sugar. For the amount you will be eating, if you already have oatmeal at home, you could make up a small pot and just reheat a bit each meal or day. I like greek yogurt but always buy the plain and add my own sweetener to it as the fruit flavoured ones are loaded with sugar. There will always be some sugar even in the plain yogurt as dairy has natural sugars in it. Just made sure there isn't added sugar. There are some like Source that are flavoured with splenda but their selection of greek ones has really gone downhill.

Meggles07
on 3/22/17 9:10 am - Canada

Zehrs/Loblaws has an original instant oatmeal packet in their blue menu line. Oatmeal was a tough one for me. I watered it down with milk but it didn't sit well at first. I tried a while later, still had issues, so I waited. Now I'm totally fine with oatmeal anything :)

Meg~

Kathy1212
on 3/22/17 9:25 am

Hi Manda,

I like the Quaker High Protein triple berry Oatmeal. It has 6 grams of protein, 26 carbs, 6 grams of fibre, 4 grams of sugar. I make it with 1/2 cup skim milk, and then after it's cooked add half a cup of premier protein shake to thin it out, and it ups the protein to 22 grams. I use my mug warmer to keep it warm as it takes a long time to eat it.

I keep my carbs under 50 grams almost every day, even on days when I have this for breakfast. I actually was losing weight faster when I ate this every day for breakfast; since I've switched back to protein shakes for breakfast, my weight loss has slowed.

I really like the PC Skyr yogurt ****ep calling it Skyrim yogurt, after a game I play, lol). It has 21 grams of protein per 2/3 cup, and only 2 grams of sugar. I add cinnamon and splenda to mine, if I'm eating it alone as a meal, but I also use it plain and add it to almost every puree I make to up the protein content.

Good luck!

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

leeann73
on 3/22/17 10:22 am

hey Manda - I bought one minute oats from quaker but only had it twice as it seemed no matter how much milk I made it with it was lumpy and I didn't like it. I buy the Kirkland brand Greek Yogurt from Costco - is is 0% fat and no sugar - but plain - with yogurts in the store - be careful of the sugar content - some of the flavored greek in the stores, including the SKNY .. have over 15 grms of sugar in it

your taste buds will get use to the new flavors ... you can do it!

referral: early June 2016; surgery Feb 21, 2017

Mahalo F.
on 3/22/17 9:09 pm
Hello & welcome! I use the Heinz Baby Oatmeal... It is light & smooth... I have chosen to stay away from starchy food... ie. bread, pasta, potatoes, crackers... I am 10 weeks out & still enjoy the Heinz Oatmeal as my snack in the evening... Yogurts???? Well... I truly hope you can learn to love them... They are a great source of protein and very easy to digest.... I am just getting back from a trip to Florida and truly enjoyed the Danone Greek Lean & Fit yogurt. Only available in USA DARN.. 80 cal, 0 fat & 12 grams of protein... I am going to have to do a little research and find one that is right for me here.... I generally don't add anything to my yogurt.... Definitely going to listen to the great advice on this forum... Hope this helps Sandra Mahalo

Roux En Y - Jan. 4, 2017

HW 283 SW 260 CW 165

IN THE END WE ONLY REGRET CHANCES WE DIDN'T TAKE.

Most Active
Recent Topics