Almost a week out

OrganicRain
on 3/23/17 10:22 am

So tmrw marks one week since my bypass. I'm feeling good, not much pain. I'm doing the walking and bowel movements are fine. My problem is getting in all the food. I feel like I'm eating all the time. I watch the clock and get anxious bc I know it's time to eat. I really can't stand food right now. I was wondering if it's ok to stop eating all the food and maybe just have protein shakes. 2 shakes is 60g of protein. Any advise is appreciated.

Wayne H.
on 3/23/17 12:32 pm, edited 3/23/17 5:33 am
RNY on 02/08/17

I believe you need to stick with what is comfortable to you. Some folks take longer to transition to foods, but either way you should be in the soft food phase if not still taking Clear liquids like Broths and creamy soups.

Just remember, it's not a race and the Protein supplements are fine until you come up to speed on foods.

I am pretty much Stage 5 (Solid Foods for Life) now but do still use the Protein Whey or Premier shakes to top up the Proteins as needed.

Ginnny
on 3/23/17 12:41 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

Most important is to stay hydrated and get in your protein. If it's by way of shakes so be it! I would rather drink a shake than the thought of pureeing something!

Over 100 lbs lost! and 13 lbs below goal weight!

Insert Fitness
on 3/24/17 3:34 am

Do what works for you. Everyone's plan seems to be a bit deferent, but at 1 week, I was still on full liquid, so I was only drinking protein shakes. And some broth. As long as you are getting your water in, and increasing your protein gradually, there's no rush.

good luck!

RNY Sept 8, 2016

M1:23, M2 :18, M3 :11, M4 :19, M5: 13, M6: 12, M7: 17, M8: 11, M9: 11.5, M10: 13, M11: 10, M12: 10 M13 : 7.6, M14: 6.9, M15: 6.7

Instagram:InsertFitness

Kathy1212
on 3/24/17 4:08 am

I drank protein shakes and water for 2 weeks. I tried broths and a bit of yogurt, but they were the medicine cup size (and later an espresso cup size) and just for a change of flavor because they were too small to add much in the way of nutrients.

I had to do 2 extra weeks of full liquids due to inflammation, but by then was able to tolerate a quarter cup of yogurt or cottage cheese or cream soup, etc., so it was easier the second time around. I still had my protein shakes.

I'm on purees now and still often need a protein shake to get in enough protein. I had one last night before bed because I needed to top it off.

If you're allowed protein shakes on your plan, don't worry about needing them. AS long as you get your protein in it's all good.

Good luck, and congrats on your surgery!

Kathy

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

OrganicRain
on 3/24/17 7:13 am

Thanks so much for your help. I love how this site comes together to help each other out.

Most Active
Recent Topics