food review please

leeann73
on 3/24/17 4:10 am

Hello everyone:

I am one month post op. I am following the "bariatric cooking" cookbook recipes for soft food stage. On another forum, a lady at the same stage as me is eating significantly less. Here is what I ate yesterday:

breakfast. 1/2 cup Greek yogurt

snack. 1/2 premier protein drink

lunch: half cup shredded chicken made with Indian spice

snack; 2 mini turkey meatballs

dinner: 3/4 salmon cake with dill sauce.

snack: low sugar popcycle (40 cals)

Total protein: 88 g; calories: 616

That has been my highest protein day - maybe too much? Typically, I will have a meat meal at lunch and dinner and snacks are apple sauce, pudding, but I was happy with my choices yesterday - double guessing myself though

referral: early June 2016; surgery Feb 21, 2017

Monica9811
on 3/24/17 4:27 am - Peterborough, Canada

Personally I think your menu looks great if you can get all that in and it's protein based which is the key!!

Ginnny
on 3/24/17 4:31 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

I agree with Monica, I don't think you can have too much protein. I will remind you to not compare yourself to others (I know it's human nature) everybody is different and progresses differently.

You're doing great LeeAnn, don't second guess yourself you've got this.

Over 100 lbs lost! and 13 lbs below goal weight!

Wayne H.
on 3/24/17 4:44 am
RNY on 02/08/17

That menu looks really good. We were always told "if you can tolerate it, then its good".

If you were eating to much, the pouch would let you know, or you would feel things backing up in your throat. At least I did.

Best advice so far was, "we all recover at different rates". If you are happy and comfortable, then stick with it.

Starnaenae
on 3/24/17 6:22 am

I just checked my fitness pal for when i was a month out and i was eating the same portions as you and getting anywhere from545-650 calories and 80-91 protein.. it looks great.. as someone else said, never compare yourself its the worst thing you could do because it can get discouraging and worrisome. youre doing great! focus on you... you did this for you :)

TWH: Referral May 2015 --> Orientation November 2015 --> Surgeon at TWH Nov 2016 --> Transferred to Guelph --> Surgeon Appt Dec 1 2016 --> Opti Start Dec 8 2016 --> Surgery Dec 22 2016 HW: 331 SW:302 GW: 170

Daisydoo02
on 3/24/17 7:44 am - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

Hi Leeann,

I think your menu and quantities are good, as for your calorie total I would not be going any higher than that for 1 month post op. You are doing great tolerating a lot of different foods for one month out, good for you!! I think for one month post op to get above 75 grams of protein is awesome!!! Are you putting protein powder in your applesauce and pudding to up the protein, its such an easy way to sneak in protein that way.

I think is important to remember as a fresh post op eating is about high protein, which you are doing really great with, low to no carbs ****pt my carbs around 10-20 grams a day in the first 3 months and rarely now go over 40 a day), if you start to exercise, do not "eat" your calories back, that is just defeating the purpose, and keep well hydrated.

I am 3 yrs + 5 months post op, I generally eat around 850 calories a day, 100 grams a protein and 20-30 grams of carbs. I am 5'5' and today I weighted in at 128 lbs and I am usually around 125 lbs. I had surgery at TWH in 2013 and I completely ignored the advice the NUT gave me there as she was pushing very high calorie and very high carbs, I would never have made it to where I am if I had listened to her. I owe my success to listening to the Vets here on OH who told me to eat high protein, low carb and no "white" foods like bread, pasta, rice, cereal, oatmeal, crackers, chips, pretzels, wraps, no protein bars until at goal and no alcohol & pop while in the losing phase.

Let me know if you have any questions. I think you are doing really awesome, keep up the great work!

Daisy 5'5" HW: 290 SW: 254 CW: 120

Nov 15, 2013: RNY - Toronto Western Hospital, Nov 2, 2017: Gallbladder removal & hernia repair

Sept 7, 2023: three +1 hernia's repaired in bowel

10+ years post op, living & loving life!

Monica9811
on 3/24/17 2:47 pm - Peterborough, Canada

Can you post a couple of typical eating days? You sound like you have your **** together. I don't know why I haven't seen you post before. I'm 4 years out. Don't count calories or protein or carbs but have managed to maintain 110lb weightloss. Maybe I could lose some more if I was more strict. I also drink beer which is totally empty calories but have done this since day 1. Not saying it's right. I just do.

crqvingchange
on 3/25/17 10:31 am

Daisydoo2 posts her menu everyday on the RNY WAYE thread. She frequently hosts the All Meat All Week Challenges.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

Daisydoo02
on 3/29/17 3:39 am - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

Thanks CC! Appreciate you answering!

cheers!!

Daisy 5'5" HW: 290 SW: 254 CW: 120

Nov 15, 2013: RNY - Toronto Western Hospital, Nov 2, 2017: Gallbladder removal & hernia repair

Sept 7, 2023: three +1 hernia's repaired in bowel

10+ years post op, living & loving life!

Smoka
on 3/24/17 3:52 pm
RNY on 09/12/17

Thanks for posting this. Very inspiring!

Most Active
Recent Topics