Weigh****chers and alike Products?

Starnaenae
on 3/30/17 8:14 am

Hey Guys,

what are your thoughts on weigh****chers, slimfast, atkins etc products such as their bread, their sweet snacks, their chips, etc... id love to know your guys' thoughts as you are all always so helpful...

thanks

TWH: Referral May 2015 --> Orientation November 2015 --> Surgeon at TWH Nov 2016 --> Transferred to Guelph --> Surgeon Appt Dec 1 2016 --> Opti Start Dec 8 2016 --> Surgery Dec 22 2016 HW: 331 SW:302 GW: 170

Ginnny
on 3/30/17 8:21 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

Personally I would avoid them, especially early out from surgery. They are just substitutes for trigger foods. Even though the stats are better than the real thing the "trigger" will still be there.

Once you reach goal you could include them once in a while if you feel like you still need that type of food.

Just my opinion tho

Starnaenae
on 3/30/17 8:24 am

thank you!!!!

im having some serious cravings for sweets and salts - its that time of the month soon... and i was thinking of those options, but wanted to be sure :) i appreciate your response

TWH: Referral May 2015 --> Orientation November 2015 --> Surgeon at TWH Nov 2016 --> Transferred to Guelph --> Surgeon Appt Dec 1 2016 --> Opti Start Dec 8 2016 --> Surgery Dec 22 2016 HW: 331 SW:302 GW: 170

Ginnny
on 3/30/17 9:13 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

Would SF/FF pudding help with the sweets? Low sugar popsicles? As for salt, what about Quest Protein Chips? At least then you are getting some protein in. People compare Protein Bars to chocolate bars, I don't see it but maybe a piece of a protein bar....you can cut a quest protein bar into 8 pieces and bake them into little cookies, that might help trick your brain into thinking you're having a treat?

I made SF/FF Protein Fudge Pops, just used a Premier Protein Shake and then topped up with milk to make the 2 cups and froze them in popsicle molds.

Can you tolerate nuts yet? Maybe some almonds or cashews for a salty crunch?

Starnaenae
on 3/31/17 2:17 am

Im not big on salt but will try!! Much appreciated! I tried the quest chips and they were too salty!!!

LauraLeafFan
on 3/30/17 1:44 pm

I have bought no sugar added chocolate by Russel Stovers when I need a fix. One piece does me fine and no guilt either. I don't do it often bit once every couple weeks it's a treat.

Quest protein chips are also a treat but expensive.

Good luck,

Laura

Starnaenae
on 3/31/17 2:18 am
On March 30, 2017 at 8:44 PM Pacific Time, LauraLeafFan wrote:

I have bought no sugar added chocolate by Russel Stovers when I need a fix. One piece does me fine and no guilt either. I don't do it often bit once every couple weeks it's a treat.

Quest protein chips are also a treat but expensive.

Good luck,

Laura

Ill try that. Thanks!!!!

(deactivated member)
on 3/30/17 2:44 pm - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

You'll find that most of us that are more than a few years post-op will tell you not to eat them. They are trigger foods and they are junk the same as the real thing. Most of us once we got to goal would eat the real thing instead of eating the supposed healthier, lower fat, lower sugar version and just not have it very often. I wouldn't be looking for treats so early out but that is just my opinion. I ate edamame with some salt on them for salty snacks and the NSA chocolate pudding for a sweet thing. I didn't ever fall into the trap of making protein muffins or protein cakes, they are still cakes and muffins regardless of putting the word protein in front of them. They may have added protein but they still have all the carbs and calories of a regular one anyway. Protein cookies, protein chips, etc are a gimmick as far as I am concerned, they add a few extra grams of protein to them and label them as high protein yet the carb count is as high or higher than the protein count. I steer clear of all that. I am not against protein bars but I don't think they should be eaten daily either. For me they are survival food, I keep one in my purse in case I am out and need something or can't find a decent choice then I eat that but the same one has been in my purse for a year at least now to show you how often I resort to them. Buying NSA pudding or popsicles would be a good choice over trying to find lower sugar or no sugar added cookies or the like. Not sure what stage you are at but a few almonds can be quite sastifying. I buy the hickory smoked ones and just eat a few and that salty craving is gone.

skinny_gigi
on 3/30/17 4:46 pm

I eat quest chips...b/c they are 20 grams of protein and like 4 grams of carbs. They TOTALLY TASTE LIKE WHEY...and really not like chips. My friend look at my like I"m crazy when I say want some chips and i offer them the protein chips.

I only eat them when I'm not hungry and need to get some more protein in. It takes me a couple weeks to finish the bag...

RNY March 1, 2017 with Dr. Reed.

Starnaenae
on 3/31/17 2:19 am
On March 30, 2017 at 11:46 PM Pacific Time, skinny_gigi wrote:

I eat quest chips...b/c they are 20 grams of protein and like 4 grams of carbs. They TOTALLY TASTE LIKE WHEY...and really not like chips. My friend look at my like I"m crazy when I say want some chips and i offer them the protein chips.

I only eat them when I'm not hungry and need to get some more protein in. It takes me a couple weeks to finish the bag...

Theyre too salty!!! I dont like them

Most Active
Recent Topics