Help! I've lost my pre surgical instructions!!

JenFraser
on 3/30/17 2:54 pm
RNY on 03/31/17

Hoping someone can help me out. My surgery is scheduled for tomorrow, but I can't seem to find my food instructions for tonight and tomorrow morning.

Can anyone remind me...Am I ok to drink tonight then nothing after midnight? Do I drink an Optifast early in the morning? Surgery is at 1:45 and at Humber River Hospital, if that makes a difference.

Thank you everyone!

Kathy1212
on 3/30/17 4:17 pm

Oh no, that must be so stressful. Hopefully someone who had surgery at Humber River will see this and respond. Can you phone the hospital and ask them? THere must be a nurse available who can tell you what to do. Or maybe google it; it's amazing how much can be found online.

I had to stop eating and drinking before midnight the night before surgery, but was allowed to take my asthma meds. They even told me chewing gum wasn't allowed, lol.

On the morning of surgery, I was allowed to take my asthma puffers and 1 tab of tylenol 3, and only a sip of water to get the tylenol down, and nothing else. No food or drink at all, and if I didn't need tylenol, not even that one sip of water. Definitely no opti as they want your stomach empty for surgery.

I hope that helps.

Good luck with surgery tomorrow!

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

JenFraser
on 3/30/17 4:25 pm
RNY on 03/31/17

Thank you Kathy!!! ?

Ginnny
on 3/31/17 4:21 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

Nothing after midnight is the general rule, but as Kathy suggested, call the hospital if you're in doubt.

Most Active
Recent Topics