Toronto or Guelph for Surgery?

Suebe1
on 4/19/17 7:29 pm

Hi All

Today had my appointment with doctor ain't Windsor and he approved me. He said Toronto for my surgery and I said I would prefer Guelph.His response was that Toronto was quicker due to there being three hospitals doing the surgery but from what I have read here it seems Guelph is quicker plus it's closer to home. The doctor also said I could do my surgeon appointment over computer during appointment at Windsor instead of travelling to do so, which I would have to do in Guelph. I am so confused and would appreciate hearing what your opinion or experience has been. TIA.

Referred to Windsor Nov./16, Orientation Jan. 16/17, NP Mar. 6, NUT Mar.21, DR/SW Apr. 19, Approved by Dr., Dietician/SW Jun. 5 Approved, Surgical Class July 24, met the surgeon Dr. Boujani August 3/17, Pre Op Aug. 22, Opti Aug. 29, Surgery Sept. 12/17.

TheRealMeWithin
on 4/19/17 8:00 pm - Canada
RNY on 06/02/17

My understanding is the hospitals in Toronto other than TWH are quick, I think someone on this forum recently got sent to TEG (has a new name now, Michael something) and it was really quick.

Surgery Jun.2/17 at TWH ----- HW 215 - SW 197.2 - GW 125 CW 124.6

Pre-Op=8.8lbs --- Optifast= 8.4 (was on it for 9 days due to cancellation)

M1 - 20.6... M2 -10.2... M3 -8.0... M4 -5.8... M5 -9.0... M6 -5.2... M7 -7.0... M8 -2.2... M9 -0.9... M10 -2.6... M11-0.6... M12-2.0

https://trendweight.com/u/6ffd55753da24d/

AngelaBfromwindsor
on 4/20/17 6:26 am

Good morning I am from Windsor as well and I chose to go through Guelph! The reason being I'm cheap lol and I was looking for rooms.s to stay in Toronto and they cost a lot more money to stay there then they do in Guelph plus the parking is rediculous! I got my appointment about a month after my chart was sent there meet Dr. Bohjani and he scheduled my surgery 18 days after! I did have to go back up the next week to have my Internist appointment and per op appointment on the same day! They do their best to make them on the same day! Guelph is a great hospital with great care! So I don't know if I was just lucky but mine went really fast! I had my surgery Feb.13,2017 and down 54lbs!

Orientation Feb, 1,2016

Meet Dr.Bohjani Jan.18,2017- 286lbs

Started optifast Jan.26,2017

Surgery date Feb,13,2017- 268lbs

Suebe1
on 4/20/17 6:46 am

Hi Angela

Excellent points, I really think I would prefer Guelph.

Looks like your doing awesome, way to go.

Referred to Windsor Nov./16, Orientation Jan. 16/17, NP Mar. 6, NUT Mar.21, DR/SW Apr. 19, Approved by Dr., Dietician/SW Jun. 5 Approved, Surgical Class July 24, met the surgeon Dr. Boujani August 3/17, Pre Op Aug. 22, Opti Aug. 29, Surgery Sept. 12/17.

Kath L
on 4/20/17 7:41 am

I kinda think you don't get to choose. The first time around (I cancelled part way through) I was assigned Hamilton. Then Hamilton called and asked if they could switch me to Guelph because it was quicker. I said OK. You can maybe try to choose but don't be surprised if they choose for you.

Mom2Chi
on 4/20/17 9:33 am

When your centre is Windsor you do get to chose. I had the choice between Guelph & TEG or St Mikes in Toronto. I chose St Mikes as they are a major centre and I had another procedure I wanted to have done at the same time. I didn't have a great experience there though so if it weren't for the other issue I needed to have addressed I wish I could have gone through Guelph. I just didn't like St Mikes. Dr Cheung in Windsor actually suggested Guelph for me due to lower BMI and no comorbidities - I was considered lower risk. If you have a higher BMI or comorbidities that might make surgery riskier then he told me he suggests St Mikes due to being a major trauma centre and having all the "bells and whistles" in case of complications.

As far as the surgery goes, the surgeon seemed to have done a great job. I had no complications and a fairly easy recovery.

I had my surgery in January so I wouldn't know about the current wait times.

HW 260 SW 239 CW 145
RNY JAN 9/2017 in Toronto, Ontario, Canada

fromfattohealthy
on 4/20/17 12:44 pm - Canada

I went through Windsor as well and I chose Toronto. My situation is a little different. I chose the surgeon who placed my lap band. My meet the surgeon appointment was April 12th (via teleconference in Windsor), and my surgery is May 16th.

My understanding was that Guelph could potentially request more testing, but please don't quote me on that one.

5'0 - SW - 240LBS | Lap Band - August 2015| Revision Band to RNY Surgery - May 16, 2017| Opti-fast - 9lbs | G.W - 150LBS | CW - 165LBS |

Suebe1
on 4/22/17 7:11 pm

Thanks for your reply. So when you had the video conference with your surgeon in Windsor was that the only appointment you had that day? Just wondering because I live in London so would not make any sense to drive to Windsor for a video conference when Toronto is the same distance for me to travel.

fromfattohealthy
on 4/22/17 8:52 pm - Canada

I'm from London too!! :)

yes, that was the only appointment and then I met with the dietitian and we went over all the guidelines again, I paid for my Opti and picked it up (it was $160 for 2 weeks) and then I was on my way.

I have one more appointment in Windsor before my surgery (they will be sending off all of my pre-op stuff that I got done - blood work, questionnaire)

Suebe1
on 4/23/17 5:30 pm

Hi thanks for your response. Good to hear from someone from London. Where are you going to be having your surgery? Opti is a little cheaper than i expected, that's good news. I will br keeping an eye out for your posts and progress. All the best to you in your journey.

Most Active
Recent Topics