Afraid to weigh myself! Anyone else? Advice?

Simplyb
on 4/24/17 10:16 am
RNY on 04/12/17

I am a big nervous ball of insecurity, I am 11 days post-op and have yet to step on the scale.

I know I am losing, my jeans are falling down, my face looks slimmer but I have dieted for 35 or more years and don't want to disappointed if the scale is not moving the speed of everyone else (yes, I know we should measure our own successes not others).

I did not lose any significant weight on Opti and on the day of surgery the hospital logged me at the same weight (no, I did not cheat past day 3 of 21 days but I also never completed 4 Opti a day).

I keep giving myself the excuse that a three week follow-up with the surgeon and at the hospital will see me on the same scale and give me an accurate picture.

I am avidly reading The Emotional First Aid Kit: A Guide to Life After Bariatric Surgery. I am attempting to ignore the negative self-talk but with each failed prior attempt at weight loss is sitting there. For me, this is a can not fail. I am stuck at the "what if" it is not enough, will I be discouraged?

Was anyone else afraid?

How did you deal with your weight loss, stalls, disappointments?

How did you not compare yourself journey to others?

When did you find faith in this tool and forget past failures - in other words what number on your scale?

Surgery: RNY April 12/2017 - Humber River Hospital

Current Weight: 225 lbs

Starnaenae
on 4/24/17 10:44 am

dont be afraid.. I LOVE seeing a loss... ANYTHING lower is great.

for stalls, i made sure that i took pictures and measurements beforehand and when in a stall i would take a pic, compare and take measurements.. ALWAYS lost :)

TWH: Referral May 2015 --> Orientation November 2015 --> Surgeon at TWH Nov 2016 --> Transferred to Guelph --> Surgeon Appt Dec 1 2016 --> Opti Start Dec 8 2016 --> Surgery Dec 22 2016 HW: 331 SW:302 GW: 170

Linda M.
on 4/25/17 6:11 am - Orillia, Canada

YEAH STARNAENAE - YOU'VE HIT 100! CONGRATULATIONS!

Orientation: June 29th, 2016, Surgery March 22, 2017. Pre-surgery: 16 lbs, (Size 2x, 18/20), M1: 19 lbs. (Size 1x, 16/18), M2: 13 lbs. (Size 16, XL) M3: 10 lbs. (Size 14/16, large). M4: 6 lbs. (Size 14, large/medium). M5: 10 lbs. (Size 14, solid medium - lol), M6: 9 lbs. (Size 12, medium). M7: 8 lbs. (Size 10/12 and small/medium). M8: 7 lbs. (Size 10 and small/medium). M9: 2 lbs. (Size 8/10 - small/medium). Lost 100 lbs by Month 9! M10: 5 lbs. M11: 4 lbs. One year: 6 lbs. Total 111 lbs. lost!

Starnaenae
on 4/25/17 6:13 am
On April 25, 2017 at 1:11 PM Pacific Time, Linda M. wrote:

YEAH STARNAENAE - YOU'VE HIT 100! CONGRATULATIONS!

Thank you!!!!

TWH: Referral May 2015 --> Orientation November 2015 --> Surgeon at TWH Nov 2016 --> Transferred to Guelph --> Surgeon Appt Dec 1 2016 --> Opti Start Dec 8 2016 --> Surgery Dec 22 2016 HW: 331 SW:302 GW: 170

crqvingchange
on 4/24/17 10:58 am

Don't compare yourself with others because there will always be someone who loses more than you. If you haven't already done so - take all of your measurements now. When you hit your first stall (and you will) measure again and see that you are losing inches even when the scale won't budge. A real stall lasts for more than a month.

The scale is just one part of this journey. Also focus on getting stronger, making healthy choices both in food and activity. Develop strategies for when head hunger hits (what will you do to distract yourself). Log all of your food and your exercise on an app. That way you will be accountable and not be asking why isn't there more of a loss (you'd be surprised how the calories add up for even small things like cream in your coffee) Having faith in the tool- not so much - I use the tool to help me with my new healthier life but I don't rely on it to all of the work through restriction. I need to move everyday, make good food choices, not graze, and get lots of rest. This is working for me now. If it stops, I will change things up.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

Linda M.
on 4/24/17 12:39 pm - Orillia, Canada

Personally, I believe I am not defined by a number on a scale, but by whom I choose to be. You should have no worries. It is what it is and as long as you are following your program, the weight will come off. Success is following your plan; weight and inches lost are the bonus.

Orientation: June 29th, 2016, Surgery March 22, 2017. Pre-surgery: 16 lbs, (Size 2x, 18/20), M1: 19 lbs. (Size 1x, 16/18), M2: 13 lbs. (Size 16, XL) M3: 10 lbs. (Size 14/16, large). M4: 6 lbs. (Size 14, large/medium). M5: 10 lbs. (Size 14, solid medium - lol), M6: 9 lbs. (Size 12, medium). M7: 8 lbs. (Size 10/12 and small/medium). M8: 7 lbs. (Size 10 and small/medium). M9: 2 lbs. (Size 8/10 - small/medium). Lost 100 lbs by Month 9! M10: 5 lbs. M11: 4 lbs. One year: 6 lbs. Total 111 lbs. lost!

LeslieCL
on 4/24/17 12:52 pm

You will do great, your jeans are loose!

MonaLisaSmile
on 4/24/17 1:13 pm - Canada

I'm always afraid of the scale...but it doesn't stop me from getting on it everyday. My fear is more getting on after a wk vacation all inclusive, or a long wkend away where I've missed a few days .

In the back of your mind you have to keep reminding yourself...the number is what it is!!!!! Stalls WILL happen. Sometimes you fluxuate for no reason, sometimes you loose really big, sometimes not at all. For the first yr if you are following your plan, getting the protein and vits, drinking the water, watching the carbs and portions.....it will happen. For me weighing everyday is good for me...do what's good for you.

The human body is a complex thing, add to that our crazy gut rearrangement and your fears of failure...and there you have yourself a recipe for stress. Breathe...and finding relaxing activities and try to focus on the positive that are happening (you should have more and more everyday )

SW- 260    GW- 150    CW -138    Height - 5'5      RNY- St Josephs Hamilton July 17/2015  

leeann73
on 4/24/17 5:01 pm

I totally get where you are coming from. The scale can be a mind game. I have had several stalls in only 8 weeks and each time I reached for food. You know yourself. If it is only a number then what does it matter if you don't weigh yourself? Personally, the number affects my mood too much. If it is down, I am happy. If it doesn't move, I am disappointed. If it goes up, help us all. I am still trying to figure myself out so no answers but understand where you are coming from.

referral: early June 2016; surgery Feb 21, 2017

Amzmommy
on 4/24/17 5:58 pm

Can I just say what wonderful and supportive advise you are all giving!! You are all such a nice group of people

Most Active
Recent Topics