Can you still gulp water after surgery?

Lucile777
on 4/26/17 11:33 am

hello, I'm pre-op. I'm considering RNY surgery. I love gulping water. First thing in the morning, after work, during work, etc. With only an egg sized pouch left behind, will I still be able to this? If not in the beginning, then when? Thanks!

Mahalo F.
on 4/26/17 12:32 pm

Hello

Sipping water following surgery is best! As you progress along you will occasionally forget to sip. You will gulp water or protein shake and your pouch will not be happy. You will then be more cautious.

The force of the water entering a tender surgical site is not fun.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Sandra

Mahalo.

Roux En Y - Jan. 4, 2017

HW 283 SW 260 CW 165

IN THE END WE ONLY REGRET CHANCES WE DIDN'T TAKE.

Ginnny
on 4/26/17 12:50 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

Hi there,

Sipping at first, and for how long will depend on how you heal.

I wasn't long before I was drinking water normally, I would describe that as gulping but taking regular swallows one, after the other. I can't remember when specifically it happened, but you will get back to "normal".

Over 100 lbs lost! and 13 lbs below goal weight!

Kathy1212
on 4/26/17 3:01 pm

I'm 3 months out and can't gulp, but I can do 2-3 swallows at a time now, whereas before I could only do 1 tiny sip. Any more than 3 (and sometimes 2) swallows and I feel some pain. It passes but it's not nice and reminds me to slow down.

I could chug an entire bottle of water down all at once before surgery so this has been one of the most drastic changes so far. It will be nice when I can drink a bit more at a time, as it takes forever to get my water in. I often have to stay up late to get my day's worth of liquids in.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Wayne H.
on 4/27/17 8:43 am
RNY on 02/08/17

I was able to drink water fairly normally at about 4 weeks out. I am one of the lucky ones who's recovery seemed accelerated. Yah me :-)

Now I catch myself sometimes gulping, but I am learning to stop that. It's a good way to flush out any remaining foods and thus...dumping syndrome. I am learning to drink/gulp before meals now but still adhere to the no Liquids until 30 min later at which time I drink slowly so as not to Dump.

Jo0710
on 4/27/17 12:00 pm

I can take a big mouthful of water now and be fine. Started a few weeks ago actually. At first I wasn't able To but that was fine.

RNY Jan 16/17 Surgery @ St. Mikes with Dr. Rotstein. Pre-Surgery -20lbs & Optifast -15lbs. Year 1 Loss after RNY: 131lbs

**Half the woman I was**

Most Active
Recent Topics