OBN Eligibility- is one ineligible if they do not have one of the listed comorbidities?

yoyogetsfit
on 4/27/17 10:46 am

Hey everyone,

One gracious poster replied to my newbie post regarding considering getting VSG in Mexico due to difficulty finding information about experienced surgeons and self pay in Canada. I was not aware of the OBN and the need to get a doctors referral. After doing a bit of googling- I found that I do not meet the criteria listed- does that automatically mean that I cannot have the surgery done here? I am 5'6 and 220lbs. I've struggled with weight my entire life and I am addicted to food. I am also however extremely active, which is partially why I have yoyo-ed (hence the name) in weight since I was a child. I know this is the right choice for me as I believe I would be able to successfully use it as a tool to finally help me get rid of this weight permanently. Would MUCH prefer to have it done at home than travel anywhere, especially as I have two very young children and cannot leave them for any extended period. I also understand that the care you would get (particularly in the form of testing and follow-up) is second to none here in Ontario.

Any direction would be greatly appreciated,

michelle W.
on 4/27/17 12:35 pm
RNY on 06/12/17

I believe you can also self pay in Quebec... not sure if they do the self pay here in ontario since it can be covered under the OHIP... might be a question you can ask your family dr

Referral - March 23rd 2016 TWH Orientation - June 15 2016 Social - Sept 6 2016 Nurse - Oct 3 2016 Nut Class - Nov 14 2016 Psych - Dec 14 2016 Nut Jan 4 2017 Surgeon - Feb 24 2017 Pre-op May 23 2017 Opti start date May 29 2017 Surgery Date - June 12 2017 HW-285 CW - 154.2 Opti start weight - 261.5 SW - 256

Preop-23.5 Opti-5.5 M1-13.8 M2-14.2 M3-11 M4-9.5 M5-9.9 M6-6.8 M7-9.4 M8-5.9 M9-4.2 M10-4.6 M11-2.4

(deactivated member)
on 4/27/17 12:42 pm - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

Do you have any health issues that they could say could possibly be from weight? Sleep apnea, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, arthritis in knees or hips, etc? Your BMI is just over the 35 so they would be looking for health issues of some sort that could be because of the weight. As the previous poster said, you can self pay in Montreal or you can self pay in Ontario at Smart Shape. They have offices in Toronto and Mississauga but not sure where they do the actual surgery. I went to Smart Shape years ago for my lapband but they have since added other self pay surgeries. If you have any health issues, might as well get a referral to the program and get it covered and if you don't then you could look into the other two options here in Canada to see what their criteria are.

Smoka
on 4/27/17 5:30 pm
RNY on 09/12/17

Hi,

My BMI was under 40 as well and I was desperate. It wasn't until I got a blood test done and the doctor noticed that my cholesterol was high that I was able to be referred for surgery. If I had not had the test done, I would never had known...and thankfully I am taking medication to correct it now. That was the beginning for me. That was about a year ago and I am now in the midst of all of my appointments pre-surgery and waiting to find out when my surgery will be.

MinnieMouseEars
on 4/28/17 8:44 am
RNY on 11/24/17

What Tracy and Barbara said will help , I know you so you have no comorbities maybe get a sleep test done and blood work just to be sure. Best of luck in your journey :)

Most Active
Recent Topics