Vitamin Patches

SweetRide1
on 7/24/17 11:59 am
RNY on 01/16/18

Hi All,

Is anybody using vitamin patches?

I'm having a tough time getting my vitamins and supplements in. I tend to gag on the larger pills.

I found a website selling Bariatric Vitamin Patches.

Just wondered if anyone is using them or are they a waste of money?

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

Candi P.
on 7/24/17 12:43 pm - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 08/01/17

Hi SweetRide,

I am not taking them, but I did ask at my clinic and they dont recommend them. They say that it may not stick, and that like the birth control patch over a certain weight it doesnt properly get absorbed, so they say to stay away. Best of luck, no harm in talking to your clinic/Nutrionist.

Orientation: June 29th, 2016, Social Work Assessment: September 22nd, 2016, Nursing: October 17th, 2016, Nutrition: November 9, 2016, Psychology: January 10, 2017, Dietitian: January 12, 2017, Got Approval from Rounds: Jan 19, 2017, Meeting Surgeon: March 17, 2017, Pre-Op Appt: July 11, 2017, RNY Surgery Booked: Aug 1st, 2017 @ TWH

HW: 372.1, SW: 352.6, M1: 27.2, M2: 8, M3: 10.3 M4:

Dee321ca
on 7/24/17 12:55 pm

There was an episode on the Weight Loss Surgery Podcast that talks about the vitamin patches and their professional opinions of them was that there isn't enough evidence to prove that they actually work. From what they said it sounds like you can't absorb the same level of nutrients transdermally into your blood as you can when you actually ingest something. But that was their opinion and I have never personally tried them myself. If you're interested in that episode, it was The Bariatric Rules episode #75 (of the Weight Loss Surgery Podcast). The podcast is by an American bariatric nurse practitioner and she often has bariatric surgeons as guests on her show to give their professional opinions on things. Hope that helps.

Diminishing Dawn
on 7/24/17 6:21 pm - Windsor, Canada

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Lorraine M.
on 7/25/17 9:50 am - Canada

I asked my hematologist Dr Kukaswadia (she works out of Humber with her office on Keele) about the patches from patchmd when i was there in early May. I get my iron tested every 3 months and see her once yearly. She arranges for infusions or a one time top up if needed. I was being optimistic as i am unable to tolerate any forms of oral iron and just try to get as much as i can through foods and shakes and was hoping that she would approve it.

She reviewed their website and gave me the following observations:

• this is considered a Supplement and therefore has not gone through FDA testing
  • this has not been approved by any well known bariatric medical group in Canada or the U.S. It is only recommended by a nutritionist and holistic pharmacist Not by any medical doctor.
  • the form of iron in the patch is iron bisglycinate which is a chelated iron which is not the best form for bariatrics. We need an elemental iron. The amount it dispenses 45 mg would be way to low for what a bariatric would need even if it was the right type

She did not recommend that i spend my money on this.

I am not an expert on iron by no means but just wanted to convey my hematologists opinion as it affects us all.

I agree with Dawn. I use only chewable vitamins (calcium citrate, vit D, multi vitamin. B12). Some of them actually taste pretty good. I search online and usually buy off amazon.ca. We absorb chewables, liquids, or sublinguals the best. In the beginning I was cutting the big pills with a pill cutter but after they were finished i moved to the chewables and have been doing that for about the last 4-5 years.

Hope this helps,

chula82
on 7/25/17 1:12 pm
RNY on 12/21/16

Hi there,

I am 7 months post op and have been using the patches from PatchMD since two weeks after surgery for the same reason as you. The clinic (Humber) didn't say yes or no when I asked. They said there are some patients that use them and have had good results but they haven't been around long enough for them to have an opinion. So far when I've had my labs done everything has been on the normal range and when I look at the numbers they are stable.

I do 3 patches; Multi, iron with Vit. C and Calcuim with Vit D. Vit B12 I take orally because it's a small pill and only every 3rd day.

At first I was applying them before I went to bed on my upper arm alternating arms every night. I have recently started applying it on my stomach because I've been using sun screen on my arms and I'm afraid it wont stick or absorb. I actually find that is sticks a lot better on my stomach.

I hope this helps.

Nikitabanana
on 8/19/17 2:47 pm
RNY on 05/25/16

Hello, I have been using PatchMD vitamins for about 1 year. I use the following: 1 multivitamin patch, 1 calcium/vit D, 1 vit C, 1 iron patch each night before bed and remove them in the morning. I use them every single night and never forget. I also get a B12 injection monthly. I do not take any oral supplements as they make me ill. My labs have all been great and there have been no issues.

Good luck!

Referral sent: 1/26/15 / Sleep study: 2/23/15 / Orientation: 4/20/15 HRRH / Meet Dr. Hagen: 11/17/15 (no show) / Meet Dr. Klein: 12/10/15 / Trio appointments: 2/11/16 / Follow up appointment SW and RD: 3/16/16 / Dr. Glazer: 3/30/16 / Dr. Klein: 5/9/16 / Surgery date 5/25/16 / LBL with Dr. Nandagopal 3/9/18 - PS SW 155

HW - 280. Opti start - 280. Surgery day - 266. CW - 142.

Most Active
Recent Topics