Pre-surgical update

(deactivated member)
on 8/6/17 1:23 am - Brampton , Canada
RNY on 09/12/17

Hey everyone,

ive been rather quiet on here with the exception of liking and occasionally commenting on others posts....but a lot has been going on, so I figured I would just post it all in one update.

I am 16 days away from starting my liquid diet on the 22 of August and 37 days away from surgery....I remember in April when I got my date thinking it's sooo far away....and now I'm less than a month I start full liquids!!

I am now under the care of a new psychiatrist who works with my family doctor on my care, and is able to follow up with me 1-2 times a month after surgery to ensure my medication is the proper dosage.

I have also been to see my family doctor to have my short term disability paperwork filled out (work asked me to submit early so they could hire a temp for my time off...only way the VP would sign off is if they had confirmation that I am going on short term and the duration). I work in a high stress desk job, and that couple with my mental health needs...so my doctor has set my return to work date for a full 8 weeks after surgery. If I feel ready to go back sooner she said we can discuss but not to count on it if we encounter issues with my mental illness.

Family doctor also wrote my prescription for vitamins b12 injection- I am going to attempt to do this at home but if I can't the nurse at my doctors office will do it.

Charlee my dog has also been to the vet in preparation to have him boarded the week of surgery. As my older sister works two jobs and mom will mostly be with me, charlee is going on a little vacation...he's a short dog (Pekingese) and just about 17lbs so I won't be able to lift him after surgery, he's used to sleeping in bed with me at my feet, so we got him some stairs and I'm training him to use them so he won't need to be carried on and off!

the last bit of preparation that I have been doing is ensuring that I have everything on my list, I believe I am left with only needing a new pair of slippers for the hospital (I think my last pair got lost in may when moved) and the grocery shop for post surgery puree (liquids have already been bought).

missmac67
on 8/6/17 4:45 am
RNY on 08/01/17

Hi Tanya - this all sound so solid! Good for you. Preparation is going to be key to this and it looks like you are off to a good start. If you want a new pair of slippers great, but you could use some Old Navy flip flops (so inexpensive and do just fine) I am so happy for you. You are going to do great!

TOGETHER we can be BETTER

Best, MJ

(deactivated member)
on 8/6/17 5:06 am - Brampton , Canada
RNY on 09/12/17

Thanks MJ, logically I know everything will work out how it's supposed to, but my mind keeps flipping between being excited and being terrified!

I think as for the slippers I'm going to take your suggestion and just grab some flip flops (joe fresh though!) and wait on the slippers until winter (better selection then!)

oneatatime
on 8/6/17 6:19 am
RNY on 09/01/17

Flipping between excited and terrified seems to be a very common pre-surgical state. I think it's totally normal!

It sounds like you're super organized and ready!

I got dog steps for my short dog a few years ago, and took little treats... coaxed her up, tons of excited praise and the treat. Coaxed her down, same thing. Did that a few times... then she was all good! Hopefully you're finding the training part easy too.

Stay strong. Clearly you've got this!!

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. Choose happy.

Opti -10 / M1 -25.5 / M2 -10 / M3 -14.5 / M4 -13 / M5 -10 / M6 -5.5 / M7 -9.5 / M8 -13.5 / M9 -0.5 / M10 -2.5 / M11 -2.5 / M12 +2 / M13 -5.5

Century Club and Onederland in month 7!!

(deactivated member)
on 8/6/17 8:19 pm - Brampton , Canada
RNY on 09/12/17

Thanks oneatatime,

I think we've got using the stairs down, I didn't even need treats which I was positive I was going to need. I just showed him the stairs at the foot of the bed, and then patted the step and he just hopped right on up! Coming down he definitely prefers to hop off on his own, but as he's 9 I'm trying to get him away from jumping. He will now use the stairs to come down when I am in the room, but I noticed if I leave him sleeping in bed and he wakes up with me not there, he jumps down without using them. So apparently he can't be trusted to be left alone just yet!

I noticed your meet the surgeon is coming up this week, fingers crossed that the week doesn't seem to take too long for you!!

oneatatime
on 8/6/17 8:35 pm
RNY on 09/01/17

That's great progress, Tanya!! Going down the stairs was definitely a steeper learning curve for my dog too. Now she never jumps off the bed... stairs only. She had to get both her back knees operated last year, and she's an extra long dog (Basset hound cross) so I worry about the impact on her joints and back. The stairs really do bring a sense of relief.

Thanks for the note about the surgeon this week. I have a really busy week so I suspect it will go quickly. At some point I'm sure I'll get nervous!!! I'll post an update when I know more. :)

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. Choose happy.

Opti -10 / M1 -25.5 / M2 -10 / M3 -14.5 / M4 -13 / M5 -10 / M6 -5.5 / M7 -9.5 / M8 -13.5 / M9 -0.5 / M10 -2.5 / M11 -2.5 / M12 +2 / M13 -5.5

Century Club and Onederland in month 7!!

Kathy1212
on 8/6/17 9:00 am

Sounds like you are prepared and ready! That's great! Don't worry, it's common to be equally excited and terrified. The surgery is actually a non issue; it's over in the blink of an eye.

I had stairs for my elderly little blind toy poodle, Ben. I had to lift him up and place his paws on the first step, then sort of lift him and let his paws touch each step until the top, then tap his little paw on his favorite chair at the top step, all the while telling him what i was doing and praising him. I also needed to glue some carpet steps on the stairs so he had a less slippery surface. I only had to do it twice, up and down, and he learned how to use them. He loved being able to get up and down from his favourite spot without waiting for me to lift him up or down.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

(deactivated member)
on 8/6/17 8:21 pm - Brampton , Canada
RNY on 09/12/17

Ooh, I like the idea of the carpet on the steps, Charlee's steps are a little slippery for him too and I just can imagine him sliding right off them!!! Thanks Kathy!!!

Kathy1212
on 8/7/17 8:19 am

You're welcome! I am not sure what those little carpets for steps are called, but that's what I used...they're made for regular steps but they worked on the dog steps. I think any sort of thin carpet or matt would work.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

(deactivated member)
on 8/6/17 2:23 pm

I am very excited for you ...it will go by fast. I am happy that you have a team to help you deal. Mental health is very important and it sounds like you are going at this prep in a healthy way.

Please take care---- thanks for sharing... we are here.

Most Active
Recent Topics