Calories

leeann73
on 8/8/17 11:34 am

My nutritionist wants me to up my calories to 900 a day and add grains like quinoa, barely and rice. I am at roughly 700 calories and 60 grams of protein a day I am not sure how I feel about this. She said that if I keep eating lower end then my body will go into starvation mode and my metabolism will slow down. Hmmm. I still want to lose 30-40 pounds so this increase is frightening for sure.

referral: early June 2016; surgery Feb 21, 2017

Mahalo F.
on 8/8/17 11:45 am, edited 8/8/17 4:46 am

Hi!

Honestly.... I don't understand their rationale.

I am 7 months out and chose to stay away from starches completely during my journey.

I gave up pasta, bread, potatoes & rice.... That includes everything grains.

They told me the same thing and I told them that I wanted to reach my personal goal of 175. I now want to get down to 165 lbs.

We don't need the grains to survive. Unwanted calories. I would suggest increasing your protein to 120 daily...

I have to admit that my gut feels better without the starches. I have discovered that I may be gluten intolerant

I am not a veteran by any means and perhaps they would be better at giving advice for the long term.

I am going to continue eating clean and feeling great. While our weight management teams may make recommendations, we don't have to necessarily follow them.

As long as you feel healthy, do what is good for you!

Take care

Sandra

Mahalo.

Roux En Y - Jan. 4, 2017

HW 283 SW 260 CW 165

IN THE END WE ONLY REGRET CHANCES WE DIDN'T TAKE.

Ginnny
on 8/8/17 3:33 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

I don't think it would hurt you to increase your calories but I would do it with protein not grains.

You won't go into starvation mode but your metabolism may slow down on a continued low low calorie diet. Try upping your protein for a week and see how your body responds. I know any try for 100 grams of protein or more per day.

Over 100 lbs lost! and 13 lbs below goal weight!

Jo0710
on 8/8/17 6:16 pm

What Ginny said! Up the cals with protein. I'm the same as you. Ate 600-700 cals a day until July and then increased. I stalled though and then lost after the increase.

RNY Jan 16/17 Surgery @ St. Mikes with Dr. Rotstein. Pre-Surgery -20lbs & Optifast -15lbs. Year 1 Loss after RNY: 131lbs

**Half the woman I was**

LauraLeafFan
on 8/9/17 5:44 am

This may have some truth behind it.... when I have hit a stall I have gotten out of my stall by increasing my calories... and carbs by a small amount and then the scale starts to move again.

Linda M.
on 8/9/17 6:10 am - Orillia, Canada

Good morning Leeann,

The dietician said the same to me and my question to her concerning increasing my calories was how many more meals do you want me to eat since I can only eat about 3/4 cup at a time? I'm with Sandra and Ginnny. I don't eat rice, potatoes or pasta and am not a fan of couscous, bulgar or quinoa. I do enjoy have beef and barley soup, but as I am also concentrating on protein, I have not had any since surgery.

She told me to lower my protein from 80 to 100 to 60 to 80 and also increase grains. As I am still combating constipation, I have gone back to taking Restoralax and need to increase my vegetables including salad. Better planning, for me, is key and posting daily on MFP and the thread on OH.

My advice (to myself) is to do as Sandra and Ginnny recommend, but increase vegetables not necessarily grains. It's working for me so far and I plan to stay the course.

Orientation: June 29th, 2016, Surgery March 22, 2017. Pre-surgery: 16 lbs, (Size 2x, 18/20), M1: 19 lbs. (Size 1x, 16/18), M2: 13 lbs. (Size 16, XL) M3: 10 lbs. (Size 14/16, large). M4: 6 lbs. (Size 14, large/medium). M5: 10 lbs. (Size 14, solid medium - lol), M6: 9 lbs. (Size 12, medium). M7: 8 lbs. (Size 10/12 and small/medium). M8: 7 lbs. (Size 10 and small/medium). M9: 2 lbs. (Size 8/10 - small/medium). Lost 100 lbs by Month 9! M10: 5 lbs. M11: 4 lbs. One year: 6 lbs. Total 111 lbs. lost!

GeorgianBay_Girl
on 8/9/17 8:23 am

At my 3 month post-op follow up, the RD told me (after me whining and begging and pleading) I should aim for 600-800 calories/day. I was sitting at around 550 and 70-80g protein up until a few weeks ago. I felt like I had hit a stall, so I increased my protein (whi*****reased my calories, naturally). Also upped my water intake

Since then, I've come out of the stall and am losing more/week now then when I was sitting at fewer calories

My hair is also growing back, so it's a bonus all around

I also have 29.8lbs to lose, and I don't understand how upping calories can relate to decreasing weight, but it seems to be working so far fingers crossed . Maybe I was in starvation mode? Who knows, but I feel better about what I'm eating and myself as well

The RD also lectured me about introducing grains etc into my diet, and I flatout told her no and was refusing to do so. I have 1/2 flatout pita/wrap per week and that's it. I've had 3oz of potatoes since surgery. My body does not need starches to survive but these RD's don't seem to get it.

Anyways...hope this helps? And best of luck!

Referral date: May 19, 2016 | Info session: July 12, 2016 | Surgeon Approval: December 2, 2016 | Pre Op: January 24, 2017 | Trio: February 9, 2017 | Surgery Date: March 3, 2017, Humber River Regional Hospital

Starting Weight: 253 | Post-Optifast Weight/day of surgery: 237 | Current Weight: 123.2

Stephi3004
on 8/10/17 7:35 pm - Canada
RNY on 07/05/17

I don't understand the intensity with which people insist that carbohydrates should not be a part of healthy eating. Your body actually does need carbs to function optimally.

I realize that many people have chosen a carb free diet post op, but I also think it is important to have a well rounded diet. Better to learn to consume things in moderation than expect that you will cut out an entire food groups for the rest of your life.

My thoughts are guided by personal research and medical advice. This is just my two cents.

Best of luck!!

Referral- August 2016, Orientation Ottawa WMC- January 9/17, Nurse- March 2/17, Nutritionist & Behaviourist May 8/17- Approved, Pre-Surgery class May 15, Endoscopy- May 19/17, Meet Dr. Neville- May 29, Start Opti- June 14, Surgery- July 5

birdiegirl
on 8/11/17 5:10 am

Complex carbs in moderation. No simple carbs ever.

You need to optimize your first 6 months. I ate zero simple and only a few complex carbs to get to my goal. Complex being some veggies, but still my protein serving first.

well rounded is great when you reach goal and have found your sweet spot to maintain.

We are not like normal people. Physically AND psychologically

Most Active
Recent Topics