Itchy rash on loose skin areas?

Kathy1212
on 8/11/17 7:54 am

Hey guys,

I'm down a bit over 105 Lbs in just over 6 months, and for the past two weeks have had a lot of itchy, raised red dots on my upper under arms, where the loose skin is, behind my knees, and, weirdly, on my breasts and upper chest (no loose skin at all on my upper chest area). My tummy and thighs are fine.

I've tried regular cream, aloe, and calmine lotion but the itchiness is crazy and won't go away. It even wakes me up in the night. At first I thought it was mosquito bites but they aren't bites. When I touch the skin on my upper arms, I can feel hard little bumps behind the skin. Only on my arms, nowhere else. I thought maybe it was a heat rash but it hasn't been hot for the past few days and I was actually cold last night.

I am going to see my doctor but couldn't get an appointment until next week. Has anyone else experienced this?

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

White Dove
on 8/11/17 8:14 am - Warren, OH

What causes this is a build up of skin cells. Everyday we shed millions of skin cells. Sometimes our body can't keep it and then a layer of dry itchy skin forms. When you add creams and oils to it, you get something like pie crust.

The solution is to exfoliate the skin and keep creams off of it.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Kathy1212
on 8/11/17 8:50 am

OK, thanks. I do shower every day but I also use a lotion after my shower. I'll have to stop. The itching is crazy.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

Kathy  

(deactivated member)
on 8/11/17 8:37 am, edited 8/11/17 1:46 am

I will not get tooooooooooo personal but... been there done that and still am... so here is the answer - for me anyways... I was given a cortisone cream- it works but ... it thins out the skin---- making it worse for the next time and so on.

Then I was told to get Caneston (Nyasten) cream--- redness and or fungal itchies because of the sweat the gets trapped in folds... way too expensive ... so I did some research (shocked right) .. I created an organic bodywash.... OR you can buy Dr BONNERS castile soap with lavender or tea tree oil. Wash 1-3 times a day depending on how bad. It actually gets better ... then I bought Burt's Bees baby ointment... and put it on. Runners do this--- sure its a bit oily but it works. Hypo allergenic and no pain no rash. I make my own now with shea butter and essential oils. Recipe available. Keep it clean and then oil it down with a non petroleum (NO VASELINE) too many chemicals.

I get itchie and it is the skin cells - for that I agree with WhiteDove--- I use a mild scrub.... then coconut oil .. great moisturizer!

JO

AngelaBfromwindsor
on 8/11/17 8:43 am

So to hear this! U probably need an antifungal cream and make sure u r keeping the areas very dry! My daughter had the same thing under here armpits and she is only 10.within a couple of times putting it on it was gone. Best of luck!

Orientation Feb, 1,2016

Meet Dr.Bohjani Jan.18,2017- 286lbs

Started optifast Jan.26,2017

Surgery date Feb,13,2017- 268lbs

Mahalo F.
on 8/11/17 10:39 am

Hey Kathy!

How are you doing?

I am thinking maybe it is a reaction to something you may have eaten? Body wash or new lotion? Are you on a new medication?

Cortate or any cortisone cream will definitely help.

Benadryl at night so that the itching isn't driving you crazy...

I love Calamine but the stuff is so pasty and messy.

Hope it passes soon!

Take care and good luck!

Sandra

Roux En Y - Jan. 4, 2017

HW 283 SW 260 CW 165

IN THE END WE ONLY REGRET CHANCES WE DIDN'T TAKE.

Kathy1212
on 8/11/17 3:01 pm

Thanks, I have so many allergies it could be just about anything I guess. It's all over my upper chest and neck too, and so itchy. I take two allergy pills a day. I am wondering if it could be the laundry detergent. I"ll have to go buy some for sensitive skin.

Kathy  

eLoon77
on 8/11/17 3:02 pm
RNY on 09/22/17

I know the focus post op is protein protein protein so is it possible you have a Keto-rash? I only just saw this mentioned on Instagram where WLS patients were complaining of it and the pictures looked really painful! Sounds like it could very well be what you're suffering from. Look it up! I believe the remedy mentioned was to eat some carbs and it went away. I wish I had more info on it but I'm sure google can help. Worth a look if you're eating really low carb. Good luck!

Feb 17/16 - orientation TWH | March 3/16 - nurse | Nov 22/16 - Phone call f/u re-entry | Oct 18/16 - nurse | Nov 29/16 - nut class | Feb 16/17 - social worker | March 7/17 - nut apt | March 22/17 - psych apt | March 30/17 - team approved | May 5/17 - surgeon apt | June 8/17 - endoscopy | Sept 22/17 SURGERY RNY @TWH

(deactivated member)
on 8/11/17 5:00 pm

eloon77 ... I knew it affected mood swings and depression but skin.. thank you!!! I will research this!

Kathy1212
on 8/12/17 11:55 am

I do eat low carb, usually under 30 grams of carbs per day. I googled keto rash after you wrote this; thanks for letting me know about this. Does this mean I can have a piece of toast, lol? I miss toast.

Seriously, if upping my carbs for a few days will get rid of this, I'm all for it.

I'm seeing my doctor on Monday morning.

If it was just in folds of loose skin, I'd think it was a loose skin problem but it's not; it's on areas where there's no loose skin too, including my back and upper chest and neck. I have lots of allergies so it could be an allergic reaction too. I take two allergy pills a day but my allergies often get worse this time of year, but normally it's sneezing and watery eyes, not an itchy rash.

Kathy  

Most Active
Recent Topics