Just an allergic reaction

Kathy1212
on 8/14/17 8:42 am

Hi guys,

The other day I posted about my itchy rash; thanks for all of your helpful responses. The doctor says it's an allergic reaction to something. The only things that have changed recently are my detergent brand and deodorant (I usually get vanilla scent but bought a different fragrance, same brand last time).

So I was prescribed some cortisone creme that I have to use once a day. My doctor also said prednisone would help clear it up but there's no way I'm taking prednisone if I can avoid it; that's how I gained all of my weight in the first place, on high doses of prednisone for an entire school year during my first year of teaching. I went from size 9 to size 22 that year so no prednisone for me unless absolutely necessary (bad asthma).

I also bought my normal deodorant so hopefully that will help. If it doesn't I'll go buy some detergent for sensitive skin.

I'm still super itchy but am glad it's just allergies.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

rce884
on 8/14/17 8:52 am
RNY on 09/05/17

Allergies are a pain, but I am so glad it was Just allergies.

i personally haven't been on Prednisone, but i had a friend who took it for asthma and she blew up. so i can see how you would want to avoid that. at all costs.

Good luck with the cortisone cream.

Kathy1212
on 8/14/17 10:32 pm

Hi, thank you.

I've been on prednisone many times over the past 30 years, and no matter whether it's short term (2-4 weeks) or longer, I always gain weight and get moon face and a fatty hump on my upper back/neck area. It also gives me bad mood swings. I hate it. Not everyone gets the side effects but for those of us who do, it can be awful.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

Kathy  

Mahalo F.
on 8/14/17 8:52 am

Hello Kathy!

Glad you got in to see MD.

one dose of Prednisone will not cause weight gain.

Prolonged Prednisone use over time would.

It all depends how much of a nuissence the rash is.

Get better soon!

Sandra

Roux En Y - Jan. 4, 2017

HW 283 SW 260 CW 165

IN THE END WE ONLY REGRET CHANCES WE DIDN'T TAKE.

Kathy1212
on 8/14/17 10:39 pm

Thanks, Sandra.

It's nice that you don't get any side effects when you take prednisone. You're very lucky. I however, do, whether it's a short term dose of 2-4 weeks or longer doses. I've never been on it for less than 10 days full dose, then tapering off, and always always gain weight on it. It changes the way I look entirely. I get what is called a moon face, and a hump. Also very bad mood swings. I've been on prednisone many times in the past 30 years and it's never pretty. I've never gained as much as I did that first time when I was on it for 10 months, but always more than 10 Lbs, even on short runs. I gain more on longer runs, and it takes ages for the moon face and hump to go away. I hate it. I only accept it if my breathing is really bad and nothing else is working.

Kathy  

Wayne H.
on 8/14/17 10:10 am
RNY on 02/08/17

Is it possible you picked up something while out riding? Maybe some new grass/fields cut that day?

I hate allergies, you never know what the hell it could be in some cases.

I reacted to the stuff they paint on your belly before surgery. To the point where my entire belly got a rash.

I don't have Allergies..go figure. Hope you get fixed up soon Kathy.

Kathy1212
on 8/14/17 10:42 pm

Thanks, Wayne.

It's possible that I picked something up while outside, for sure. I'm allergic to just about everything outside, lol; grass, pollen, trees, dust, animals, you name it, lol.

Sorry about the allergy from the stuff they paint on you; that sucks. I'm allergic to the tape they use in hospitals.

Kathy  

(deactivated member)
on 8/14/17 10:23 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

August is my absolute worst month for allergies. I literally live in the bush and refuse to stay indoors so between watery eyes, red eyes, itchy eyes, snotty nose, sound like a heavy smoker, headache, I am also covered in a rash. I find it is worse after a heavy rainfall followed by a strong wind. Likely blows all the crap from the plants right onto me and then I am covered in a rash. I use cortisone cream when needed and have had really good luck with coal tar ointment. I don't want to use cortisone cream too much as it thins the skin so found the coal tar and it works even better but stinks to high heaven.

Kathy1212
on 8/14/17 10:45 pm

I'm sorry your allergies are so bad. Thanks for the tip about coal tar cream; I'd never heard of it before.

I used to get allergy shots but had to stop as I developed reactions to the shots. They started to trigger my asthma. It's too bad as they really used to help.

Kathy  

terrylynnishere
on 8/14/17 10:29 am

Hi Kathy I hope you find some relief for the itching. I also suffer from allergies that affect my skin. I used the same brand of deodorant for years , until suddenly I became allergic to it. My doctor said it was due to the aluminum in it. I now buy aluminum free deodorant and have no issues.

Prednisone is both a wonder drug and a menace. I have asthma, and was prescribed prednisone over and over for years until I finally found the right combination of inhalers to get my asthma under control. Although I can say that drug saved my life many times over. The side effects were /are ridiculous.

Wish you all the best

Vertical sleeve, Sept 15

Most Active
Recent Topics