Vitamins question

Kaylar
on 9/6/17 11:12 pm - Toronto, On

Hey everyone, just wondering if anyone is able to answer a question I have about the vitamins we take post surgery.

So I 100% understand the pouch size and the malabsorption and whatnot making them necessary after surgery, but I've seen several people and sources indicate that both of these factors are actually temporary, and that the pouch will stretch with time (potentially right up to its original size apparently??) and your intestines will go back to absorbing nutrients like normal once the "Honeymoon Period" ends.

If that's the case, why do we continue to take the vitamins for the rest of our lives? I suppose even people who haven't had the surgery will still have at least one vitamin deficiency, so it may just be to balance that out, or it could be for the sake us being able to stick to the recommended protein-heavy diet that may not supply enough of certain vitamins. I'm just wondering if anyone knows for sure what it is that continues to make them necessary, because my guide just talks about the pouch size and the malabsorption. Or is it that the pouch getting larger with time is something that -only- happens if you overeat, thus anyone who stays on track won't have that happen and will still need the vitamins??

I'll be taking them either way unless a doctor tells me to stop, but I'm curious if anyone knows the reasoning behind it. :)

Lina_Ann
on 9/7/17 3:28 am

I have never heard of your pouch going back to its original size unless you over-eat all the time. They say you need to take vitamins forever because part of your intestines is being removed. You no longer have the valve that keeps food from entering the intestines too quickly.

Referral: June 2017
RNY with Dr. Neville in Ottawa: January 8th, 2018

gbears
on 9/7/17 5:43 am

Like said above, your pouch will only go back to normal size if you are over eating. Just like how we all start out with similar sized stomachs and some end up with large and some stay the same -it all falls down to how much your consume.

From my understanding is that while your body does adjust and your intestines start absorbing again, it is not at the same "efficiency" as it was. Your body can't fully adapt to account for what is no longer in use, it can only find a new level of norm. This is why the vitamins are needed as they increase the likely hood that what your body needs will be absorbed.

In the end, with the level of vitamins we take you can't do harm to your system, it will just reject (i.e. end up in the toilet) what amounts it doesn't need or if you pushed it too far the actual portion sizes of the pills and water would cause you to vomit it u*****t be able to consume food. Just like with flouride in the water, you would die from drowning before you ever consumed a level that would be harmful to the system. Also as we are getting older our body needs those additional D and calcium and the good stuff in the multivitamin to stay healthy and not deteriorate.

Lap Band - 07/08 (not filled long) Referral OBN 04/16, Orientation 09/16, Nutrition Workshop 4/7/17, Nurse 4/24/17, Psych 5/15/17, Dietician 5/24/17, Internist 6/13/17 Consent 7/10/17 Surgery 9/29/2017

HW 4/17: 267 Opti Start 9/16/17: 254 Surgery 9/29: 240.8 M1:-18 M2:-14 M3:-9 M4:-5 M5:-6

White Dove
on 9/7/17 6:39 am - Warren, OH

Your original stomach was the size of a two-liter soda bottle. Your pouch or sleeve holds about as much as the cap on the bottle of soda. It will stretch out to the size of an egg. That is normal. We would not survive if it stayed tiny.

Think of it as a baby stomach that will get to its full size in about a year but will never be its original size.

If you had RNY then the part of your intestines that can absorb vitamins from food has been removed and the only way to get enough vitamins and iron is by adding supplements.

With VSG there is no rerouting of the intestines and vitamin supplements are possibly not that needed once you can get enough from food.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active
Recent Topics