6 month follow up

GeorgianBay_Girl
on 9/12/17 11:40 am

So this happened today.

I'm officially down 100lbs since my beginning of Optifast on February 17/17.

The dietitian was very impressed with my weight loss: I felt great. She also said "but you have a ways to " (felt like a failure). She finally gave me my goal weight of 133, but said I have to add "5-10 lbs for all your loose skin". Ugh, felt even worse then. The SW visits me, asks me about loose skin then I'm like "oh I guess I really do have it?!?" She looks at me and was shocked at how much loose skin I DON'T have...she couldn't believe I had lost 100lbs and have hardly any stretch marks and/or additional skin. I'm sooooooo confused after today.

The RD suggested I now decrease my protein to 70-85g/day (as I weigh less; presently I'm getting about 100 give or take) and increase my carbs (which I am very apprehensive to do); I consume approx. 30g carb/day and she wants me to increase to 100. Yes, 100!! I'm struggling with that and so afraid I'm going to gain weight. Everything has been so great up to now I'm afraid to make any changes; even at 100g protein/day that's not super huge.

Anyone else as confused as I am?!?

Referral date: May 19, 2016 | Info session: July 12, 2016 | Surgeon Approval: December 2, 2016 | Pre Op: January 24, 2017 | Trio: February 9, 2017 | Surgery Date: March 3, 2017, Humber River Regional Hospital

Starting Weight: 253 | Post-Optifast Weight/day of surgery: 237 | Current Weight: 123.2

SweetRide1
on 9/12/17 11:51 am
RNY on 01/16/18

I'm certainly not in your shoes yet (but boy do I hope to be by this time next year). You are rocking this!!!!

It looks to me like they want to slow your weight loss down a bit and get you thinking about eating for the long term in a more normal every day kind of way? I've noticed that they always start new "things" well in advance so we build new habits before we really need to. Smart really.

Just guessing but I think I may be on the right track.

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

(deactivated member)
on 9/12/17 12:02 pm, edited 9/12/17 5:02 am

Congrats on weight loss and sorry but I am 100% with your NUT.. great on the skin... your collagen fibres must be strong!! Yay! I am a big believer in a full diet program!!

Kathy1212
on 9/12/17 12:50 pm

Congratulations, you're doing great! You're really lucky to not have a lot of loose skin or stretch marks.

It's your choice whether or not you up your cabs by that amount. You could try small increments, like going form 30 grams per day to 40 or 50 to see if you still lose doing that. Good luck!

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

oneatatime
on 9/12/17 6:41 pm
RNY on 09/01/17

Congratulations on your weight loss! That's such great results for all your hard work. :)

Your day really does sound confusing. I'm so sorry you're having to deal with that. Maybe give it a couple of days to sort through the information, figure out what you want to do, before trying to jump into any changes. And when you're ready, why not try one change at a time and see how you're body handles them?

I am not an RD... it just seems like a lot of changes all at once.

Wishing you continued success on your journey. You got this!

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. Choose happy.

Opti -10 / M1 -25.5 / M2 -10 / M3 -14.5 / M4 -13 / M5 -10 / M6 -5.5 / M7 -9.5 / M8 -13.5 / M9 -0.5 / M10 -2.5 / M11 -2.5 / M12 +2 / M13 -5.5

Century Club and Onederland in month 7!!

Linda M.
on 9/13/17 7:49 am - Orillia, Canada

Hey Georgian,

Yes, I'm as confused as you after my five month visit, and go for my six month one on the 25th - and expect to be again.

I'm taking everything they say with a grain of salt knowing that they are following their own training and hospital/program procedures. I was told I was losing too fast and that I needed to up both my calories and carbs. I can only eat 3/4 cup and told her that won't magically increase (nor do I want it to). According to the resource on this site that give you an idea of what you should be losing each month, I'm about on target. I would like to lose 95 to 100% of my excess weight and not 60 to 80% - which is probably their range. The dietician also asked me to lower my protein and stop drinking shakes by month six. I have a shake during the work week for breakfast and it works. During my days off I cook breakfast - protein heavy and carb light. I am eating low sugar berries, vegetables and green salad twice a day. I love "Mary's" organic crackers and have six with one ounce of hard cheese for a snack. I don't do bread, pasta, rice nor potatoes and don't like quinoa - so veggies and some fruit will be my carbs of choice.

I have seen your pictures and read your posts. You ARE doing well, you LOOK terrific, and you are COMMITTED to the program. I've decided to go to my appointments, listen to what they say, apply what I think will work, and journal on MFP and OH. Like you, it works for me. Wouldn't be nice if every member of your healthcare team had had WLS themselves? Practical application Georgian. You really are doing terrific - CONGRATULATIONS.

Linda

Orientation: June 29th, 2016, Surgery March 22, 2017. Pre-surgery: 16 lbs, (Size 2x, 18/20), M1: 19 lbs. (Size 1x, 16/18), M2: 13 lbs. (Size 16, XL) M3: 10 lbs. (Size 14/16, large). M4: 6 lbs. (Size 14, large/medium). M5: 10 lbs. (Size 14, solid medium - lol), M6: 9 lbs. (Size 12, medium). M7: 8 lbs. (Size 10/12 and small/medium). M8: 7 lbs. (Size 10 and small/medium). M9: 2 lbs. (Size 8/10 - small/medium). Lost 100 lbs by Month 9! M10: 5 lbs. M11: 4 lbs. One year: 6 lbs. Total 111 lbs. lost!

Smoka
on 9/15/17 11:34 am
RNY on 09/12/17

Great advice Linda.

Barb

Referred May 2016, Orientation July 4, 2016, Pre-Nutrition Class March 31, 2017, Nurse April 10, 2017, Blood work/ECG April 13, 2017, Ultra-sound April 27, 2017, Psychologist May 30, 2017, Colonoscopy and Gastroscopy June 5, 2017, Internist June 13, 2017, Dietician June 14, 2017, 2nd Round of blood work August 2, 2017, Surgeon September 6, 2017, Surgery September 12, 2017 - St. Joe's Hamilton - No Opti

Height 5"4" HW 231 SW222 CW141

PreOp-9 lbs M1-20lbs M2-11lbs M3-13lbs M4-7lbs M5-8lbs M6-7lbs M7-5lbs M8-5lbs M9-2lbs M10-0lbs M11 - 0lbs M12 - 0lbs

Manda32
on 9/14/17 12:16 pm

I'll be six months out tomorrow, and have already had my appointments.

At my dietitian appointment she never said anything about lowering my protein, although I've been struggling to get the minimum, but I do; however she never said anything about keeping my protein low.

As for the carbs, the dietitian's at my center are aware from many patients of the low carb lifestyle people seem to put themselves on, and they don't agree with that. You do need energy and that's where you get energy from.

Now, everyone is entitled to do what makes them happy, so I don't judge anyone who follows a low carb way of life, but honestly I don't. I count my calories and protein, and have lost 99lbs since opti, so it works for me. She also did tell me I should be geting 90 grams of carbs as well. She did some formula (I'm guessing, height, weight, and the fact that I had surgery, etc). She said no dietitian (or I will say in her opinion) should tell a person who hasn't had surgery to go below 133 g of carbs a day...and obviously us having surgery were a little different. I think they are using their knowledge and experience. I think they are just trying to give the best advice that they believe will help you, and at the end of the day whatever works for you or anybody else, is what it is.

I'm not going to preach low carbs or don't worry about carbs to anyone, its individual and your choice. I will say they could be just trying to get you back to eating as 'normal' as we can given our small stomachs. Take what you want information wise from them and you chose whether to apply it or not. If your not comfortable with the high carb amount your dietitian suggested, either try a slow increase to see how your body reacts to it, or stay with what you are doing for now.

I know it can be confusing. You have opinions from your center and opinions on this forum, and perhaps anywhere else you may reach out for support, but I always say do you, and what makes you feel happy and the most comfortable.

And please don't feel like a failure!!! You lost 100 lbs in six months!!! That's AWESOME!!! Don't let other people's opinion or expectations bring you down. I'm 1 pound off you, and I know I still have a ways to go weight wise, but I'm proud and so should you be of your weight loss.

Keep up the great work. I hope I didn't confuse you any further.

Continued success!!!!

Orientation April 2016 - Final approvals December 2016. Surgical Class January 23, 2017. Met with Dr. Reed February 7, 2017. Opti start date March 1, 2017. Surgery March 15, 2017 (Dr. Foute-Nelong).

HW 348 SW 316 CW 191

GW 160

birdiegirl
on 9/15/17 12:13 pm

I'm in the "LOSE IT AS FAST AS POSSIBLE " camp. I would absolutely not increase my carbs to the numbers suggested. There is plenty of time to increase carbs.

Remember, the nuts have NEVER been morbidly obese. They do not understand that we are not like the regular population regarding food and especially carbs. Introducing new tastes can spell disaster for some.

Get to goal. THEN, and only then, add your bread, crackers etc. I have seen so many derailed by increasing foods we do not need. Keep your protein up and carbs low for optimum loss.

Remember, you only get one chance at this.

Your decisions but I want you to be successful

Good luck

Most Active
Recent Topics